Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Symptoms of overfilling tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 06:31 AM
MX265

Symptoms of overfilling tranny fluid?

What are the symptoms of overfilling tranny fluid? I have the 700R4 Tranny in my '89 IROC running off of an L03 engine. I had some work done two months ago on the car and while it was in the shop, I had them do a tranny fluid and filter change.

It ran fine for a few weeks. Now it is leaving quarter size dots of fluid in my driveway under the tranny section and shifting pretty harsh now. If the car warms up and I have been driving for a awhile, there is a big delay, then a bump when I put it in reverse. Most of the time, it does not kick down when I mash the gas, but when it does kick down, there is a delay, then a huge clunk, then it downshifts.

I checked the fluid last night after the car had been driven for an hour and the fluid is an inch and a half above the "Full When Hot" line.

Do these symptoms seem tied to an overfilled tranny? Or is this just a coincidence?

Andy
Old 06-12-2002, 08:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been trying to figure this out too. The only difference b/w your story and mine is I don't have a delay with shifts, but more like an extra 400 pounds of weight has been added to my car so it feels like across the board it has a harder time shifting. I also get the bits of drips of fluid out my tranny and I'm thinking its coming out the vent of the tranny. There's a vent around mid tranny that if overfilled will let tranny fluid seep out. Depending on just how over filled it is, it can be a little or a lot. When cold my fluid reading is well into the full hot range and when hot doing the standard reading I get well over full hot and like an inch up the dipstick. (when engine on and for 15 mins shift b/w D/R holding for a few mins in each gear don't let car move then back in park and check fluid then)

The thing is I added 2 different compounds into the tranny. Wynn's and another compound for auto tranny's and I think they don't mesh or something hence the feels like heavier feel of the tranny. I also added in extra fluid cuz I thought I had leaked a good amount. Shows what I know. So now for sure I'm overfilled with it.

since you just had a tranny fluid change, did you have them change the valve body gasket? Maybe a check ball is missing or in the wrong place hence the harsher/delayed shifts.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:08 AM

I've been wondering the same thing too. My tranny leaks real slow, and last time I filled it, I guessed, and filled it a little too full.

I thought it was going out, it was definately slipping, but now that it leaked down to the level it should be at, it seems like a brand new tranny.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

I siphoned out the excess till I got it down to "add 1 qt" when hot. I added in a qt and reads fine now, but looking at the amount I siphoned out, it was way more than 1 qt... actually I ended up with 3 qt/ 3 liters of fluid. Mother of mercy that's a lot. Over the last year I believe added tranny conditioners etc, 1 just after the change, 1 in december roughly and another a few weeks ago + fluid since I thought I was leaking when in fact I had too much, and since was warmer weather consistently higher fluid levels. I think it was basically flooded. Now that the pan is snug and level is ok, it feels like the 400 lb gorilla is off my back and she pulls in 3rd up to 4000 just like before (it struggled once it got to 3500 before). So here's a new lesson for me... sux to have too much.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89rs (previous 2.8)
Engine: 406
Transmission: 700r4 (for now)
Re: Symptoms of overfilling tranny fluid?

Originally posted by MX265

I checked the fluid last night after the car had been driven for an hour and the fluid is an inch and a half above the "Full When Hot" line.

Andy
Might be a dumb question.....but...are you checking the level with the car running?

Last edited by Riley's35089rs+; 06-13-2002 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:44 AM
MX265

Re: Re: Symptoms of overfilling tranny fluid?

Originally posted by Riley's35089rs+

Might be a dumb question.....but...are you checking the level with the car running?
No not a dumb question. In fact, I appreciate you asking. I am checking it right after I turn the engine off after I have been driving for an hour. Is this the correct way to check?

Slade1 and DSaylor, I appreciate the input. This helps believe me. I didn't even think about the valve body or check ball. I am bringing the car to the shop this weekend for some other work to be done, so I will have them check these items. While they have it, maybe they can suck some of that extra fluid out for me. It sounds like, from you folks are saying, that this spells it out:

"sux to have too much"

Sucking fluid is cheaper than new tranny.

Thanks for the help.

Andy
Old 06-13-2002, 07:09 AM
Supreme Member

check it with it running....you must......Im sure you will find it is about the right level
Old 06-13-2002, 07:33 AM
Supreme Member

It has to be checked while running! I'm all good with how to check tranny fluid, when hot, do a few shifts drive/reverse to get the fluid circulated and hot and then put into park (while engine on) and check fluid level. So yes 1 inch over full hot after a cycle of the tranny 15 mins with the fluid being warm to touch, not hot hot yet. It was seriously way too much. Even if all the fluid drained into the pan when cold, it should not be that high. After getting it down to normal levels, 3 liters removed, 1 put back so that left me with a whole 2 liters left. I found an old Mr. clean Jug with only metric readings on it and put the fluid I took out into that and ended up with 3 L on the reading. A new bottle of tranny fluid comes in 1 qt or about 1 L I think. So 2 qt more than normal was what I had in there. My tranny's not dripping anymore and after the whole deal it runs fine again.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:41 AM
MX265

Originally posted by Riley's35089rs+
check it with it running....you must......Im sure you will find it is about the right level
Doh!! I'll recheck it tonight. Thanks for the enlightenment! I guess I'll have to read the remedial guide to fluid checking!!

Andy
Old 06-13-2002, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

quick fluid check guide on a level surface

Transmission:

Auto
done while hot and engine on in park
fluid must be circulated through system (set in drive & reverse)

Manual
done while hot, engine need not be running
fluid still should be circulated so drive it

Engine:

Oil
Hot or cold (cold gives a slightly higher reading if its left overnight)
Engine off for at least 5 mins (hot oil will make its way back to the pan quick)

Coolant
When boiled over or daily driven in traffic for a week (or day if in major city with like 4 hr traffic jams)
Done when hot or cold look at overflow has indicator for full hot and full cold
add fluid to overflow container, not thru rad cap unless severely depleted

Washer fluid
container has indicator

Power steering
Engine on or off, cap has a dipstick
Fluid must be circulated so steer when on then align it straight and check then

Brake fluid
container has indicator
When engine off pump the brake till stiff
Turn on engine and pump so brake is normal
Check fluid now

Differential
done when cold through fill hole on side
stick pinky into fluid fill hole and if nail gets coated, is ok
full = fluid spilling out the fill hole

Ball joints
Hear creaking when steering = joints not greased enough
Get grease gun and fill all joints with grease fittings until all old grease has oozed out, this is really messy though

bearings
Spin tire, if spins easily and quietly ok. If feels like there's some resistance or faint grinding (remember brakes will make a slight noise, so it has to be a different grind), need to repack/replace bearings

I think that covers all possible fluids.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:27 AM
MX265

Originally posted by Slade1

I think that covers all possible fluids.

I think you missed one. How about the Beer check?? You can't let the Beer fluid get low while working on the car. If half empty, fill till head rises over top of glass. Let head settle then recheck by drinking. Then repeat the process.

Thanks for the quick chart. It helps.

Andy
Old 06-13-2002, 10:57 AM
Supreme Member

I debated whether to put that one on, but in all honesty here's mine...

Beer
Not while hot or warm
Always drink errr I mean check when cold
Empty is good sign
Glass is full, empty as quickly as possible
Glass tends to become refilled quickly so empty when necessary
Old 06-13-2002, 11:34 AM
MX265

Heck yeah! That is a much better technique!!! LMAO!
Old 06-14-2002, 05:25 AM
Supreme Member

A man should never check his own beer level....thats womens work...keep fridge full at all operating temps...use Jim Beam under extreme conditions....

BTW does the auto need to be in gear? Sounds kind of dangerous...
Old 06-14-2002, 05:28 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Slade1
quick fluid check guide on a level surface

Transmission:

Auto
done while hot and engine on in park
fluid must be circulated through system (set in drive & reverse)

Huh???
Old 06-14-2002, 06:01 AM
MX265

Riley, that's another great Beer level checking method! Got jot that one down.

On the Tranny fluid statement about setting in drive and reverse, what Slade was trying to say I think is to shift through drive and reverse a few times, then put it in park and check the fluid with the engine running.

Important note to remember : Whenever refilling beer with more than three bottles at a time, always make sure and have an emergency beer shutoff valve built into the funnel.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Overfill? I thought there was a hole on top the tranny where if it's over filled some will spill out?
Old 06-14-2002, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

MX265 got that right, circulation means while in car, just shift into D/R a few times without making car move, fluid will circulate then. Then check it when in park. It'd be a sad day someone gets run over by their car while checking tranny fluid.

As for the hole at top of tranny, its not an overflow, its a vent to allow for expansion/contraction of fluid. Remember the tranny needs to circulate the fluid back into the pan and then pick it up, if its overfull it causes backpressure on the system. This is why when I did it by accident, it felt like a 400 lb gorilla was added to my car. Tranny was struggling.

LOL post all beer techniques.

Take newly powered thirdgen and use it to hijack beer truck.
Fill car with as much beer as possible, whatever doesn't fit drink it down. Take all beer, mod a special human intake manifold or wife/gf to feed beer in whenever its in demand. May want to increase flow rate beyond specifications. Human intake manifold adds extra 2 hands to do that while your hands are free.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:05 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Mark A Shields
Overfill? I thought there was a hole on top the tranny where if it's over filled some will spill out?
Kinda like what happens whn you drink too much beer....some spills out.....note to self....get new high volume beer pan.
Usually if you overfill the tranny, it will leak out the dipstick tube hole, or the top vent, or it will take out the seals. Not a good thing.
Well I guess we covered just about all we can here....have a great weekend fellas...and always remember...DONT DRINK & DRIVE.....My wife lets me drink when we are out, that way she gets to drive the camaro,,,,,,,,A good woman= Designated driver..
Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 289
Re: Symptoms of overfilling tranny fluid?

so i googled my leaking-clunking 86 camaro I just bought and found this thread and this forum +1

though I have also been told I let her set to long while paying her off, and that is the reason it seems over filled and clunking and leaking, so I have my son driving her each night to work

she was perfect when I bought her off the guy he was driving her daily to work, onlt thing diff was he did drop the tranny or do what ever he had to do to fix the speedometer before I paid her off, then she sat for a month in my garage.

so I will drive her for a week and report back here