Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

transmission "govoner valve" and rear end ratio ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission "govoner valve" and rear end ratio ?'s

ok, i had problems from day one after, my transmission was rebuilt. i had a problem with it shifting into OD......when it tried to shift to OD, it would go right back into 3rd...just back and forth (700R4)..... so i took it back to the place that built it and they looked it all over and siad that it was cuase i didnt have stock tires on it. the tires i have on there are kinda tall and wide...and they claimed that it changed the ratio so much that the govoner vlave was "floating" when OD arrived.... well they fixed it and all, but i am buying a new rear with 3.73 gears, and im keeping the same tires i have..... am i still gonna have the same problem as before with the valve floating?....i know alot of people on here have swapped gears, and got bigger tires and all.... and i havent heard anyone complain about the problems i had........is my tranny shop full of crap?
Old 12-16-2002, 06:31 PM

I find it very hard to believe that you ran tires big enough to cause the governer valve to float (never heard this before in my life?)

You didn't go to 44 groundhogs's did you? LOL, just kidding
Old 12-16-2002, 06:37 PM

Sounds like a Bubba's BS story if I ever heard one My guess would be that they did something to effect shift timing. Its common for shops like that to do there own little modifications to the tranny because they think it needs it, and it ends up effecting other things. I've been through numerous gear ratios and tire sizes and not once touched the governer. If they fixed it, thats good. I don't think changing your gears or tires again will effect it, now that its right.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

yeah i didnt believe it either, but i just wanted the damn thing fixed!...took them over a week to fix it under warrenty. the trans was a total rebuild, and had a superior shift kit put in, and a higher stall (not much...supposed to be a rebuilt one from a cop car like a 2400 stall.)i just hope it will be fine when i put that new rear in! and then when i bolt on the slicks.....i guess only time will tell. ohh yeah sorry for the bad spelling!..im sure that made me look like i was 15!