Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

can I test an automatic trans out-of-car??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
can I test an automatic trans out-of-car??

I have a 700r4 that I'm trying to sell and I'd like to be able to demonstrate it, although it is not as simple as putting it in gear and turning the input shaft with my hand like I would with a manual.

For now I just assume that leaving it alone is the best option. I saw it work before so I don't have anything to prove to myself. If I knew of a definite way to 'bring it to life' by itself, then I could prove that it is a working tranny, instead of just saying it is.

If not a 'live test', what are some key things to look for in a used trans, in the junkyard? Yes I'm trying to sell a trans, but we can use some good tech info, regardless. I'm always shopping for used transmissions, I've had good luck so far, but I could use some tips myself
Old 09-11-2003, 05:47 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bolt it to an engine, make a test fixture using an eletric motor and belt drive, or a coupling. be a bit more effort and cost than most people would want to go to. if it were me i'd just offer a money back deal, but you have to consider the new buyer screwing something up.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
I've considered bolting it to my L69 engine.....once the heads are re-mounted and I have something to hold it all up with.

using an electric motor sounds reasonable. I have a grinder at work which has a free end. It makes perfect sense that the trans would operate with the correct fluid level and turned at 600+ RPMs. I would also 'loop' the cooling line fittings together for testing.

I have offered and will continue to offer money back, but yes, it is easy to screw up a trans upon installation. It may also be subject to a 10 sec 1/4 mile run for it's first 'test' at wich point the buyer could return it and say "thanks, but no-thanks!" That is also why I'm recomendeing that it continues it's duty in a street driven car like mine was, no experimentations. I don't doubt this trans could stand some heavy duty driving, it could last a few years too. I'd like to think that noone wants to go through the trouble of uninstalling and returning a 700r4, so they would be careful not to mess it up?