Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

I got no forward movement

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Z28
Engine: 350 L98
Transmission: T56
I got no forward movement

Hey

I just finished swapping in the T56 from auto, got the car down on the ground, started up and ready to go.....

one day backed the car out to give'r a cleaning, and put the car back in the garage - no problems although there was a brake burning smell and some smoke.

the next day (once i had insurance and a temp plate) i backed the car out and onto the road, shifted into 1st and got nothing. the car died. several attempts later still had nothing.

the next day while the car was in the driveway, i took the slave cylnder and clutch fork out reset and reattached the slave cylinder, got in and got the car back into the garage.

So, i'm a little confused as to what happened? is it something with the clutch being new? maybe a bleeding of the clutch hydraulics? what am i missing....

very much appreciated with any help
thanks
Kyle
Old 06-21-2005, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro
Engine: ZZ4 Crate Engine w/Hot Cam
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4 with Transgo and MW 3
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Eaton Posi
You might try taking off the rear drums and making sure they're adjusted right. Sounds like they are coming on all the time and are real bad going forward.

I just went through this mess with a 85 van with rear drums. It would go with some resistance in reverse, but forward you would have to give it 1/2 - 3/4 throttle to go anywhere. My buddy completely toasted a clutch pack in the auto tranny just driving around the block with the rear brakes stuck on. On a manual this would probably just stall the car.

If you aren't familiar with drum brakes you can just remove the drum itself to try it. My bet is that the star adjuster is too far out. I adjusted the star on my van and now there is no resistance when the brake petal is not pushed.