Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Red Line Gear oil for t-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 w/auburn racers diff
Red Line Gear oil for t-5

Hey, i was planning on changing the gear oil in my tranny. When i looked at the chiltons it said it needs ATF for the manual tranny. I was wondering if using an after market gear oil would hurt it in any way. I am having to grind it into 4th gear, and was hoping for a little band-aid until it gets warm enough for me to pull the tranny out. I have been looking at Red Line's Heavy Shock proof gear oil, and any responses would be awesome.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
If it's 80/90W gear oil, it's gonna grind in every gear till it's warmed up. Might just make it worse.

If the syncro is really bad, it's hard to say what mixture would help it, if any. I can only say straight gear oil won't work - I know cause I've "been there done that". It's just too thick.

Maybe if you use a couple qts. of Mobil 1 Dex 3 ATF and 1 quart redline - but stil no garantees.....
Old 01-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Changing the fluid isn't going to make any difference to the grinding.

You need a pilot bearing. Nothing else will fix, or even band-aid, the lack of proper support for the tip of the clutch gear where it fits into the crank. If it's not properly supported there, the 4th synchro (which in effect is half on the mainshaft, and half on the clutch gear) doesn't have a prayer of working right, because the parts it has to work with, are moving all over the place in directions the synchro can't deal with.

Change the pilot bearing out BEFORE your trans becomes a basket case; as will SURELY happen if that is allowed to keep on going on. You think you have a hassle on your hands how? You ain't seen nothing yet.

There's probably not actually anything wrong with the transmission itself, if this hasn't trashed it yet. I'd recommend changing out the known broken part, and leaving the guts of the transmission alone.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=SUM%2DG1700
Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 w/auburn racers diff
Thanks for the replies and the link. I left out some info, b-fore the car started grinding into 4th, the trans already had problems. I could not downshift from 5-4 smoothly or from 4-3 at all without first putting the tranismission it second and then third or fourth. TKO performance replied and said it was probably the 3-4 synchro assembly, with a damaged sliding sleeve or damaged teeth on third gear, and or the input shaft(fourth gear). So i am going to have to replace those parts, and while im in there i figured it would be prime time for a rebuild. but 4th gear just began to grind recently when up shifting. will i have to take the bellhousing off to get to the bearing?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:13 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5spd :)
yes you will have to take off the bellhousing to get to the pilot bearing. ( you can also get a bearing from a GM dealer or GM parts direct, just make sure its a bearing and not a bushing) The bearing is located in the middle of the flywheel so the pressureplate/clutch assembly will have to come off as well. I would recommend using the hydrolic grease method instead of a puller, I tried using a puller and simply broke it. have fun
-Chris