Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

TH400 shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '88 IROC-Z medium orange metallic
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
TH400 shifter

Looking for options, installs, pics etc for aftermrket th400 shifters. I'd rather it be an auto shifter since it's a bracket car, I don't want to have to shift the thing manually. Forward pattern. Just looking for ideas on what you have had luck with or maybe have had problems with and should stay away from.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:27 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
I love my B&M Pro Ratchet shifter sinec there is no way you can miss a gear and it workds for both forward and reverse pattern so you can grow into it. They make a bracket for the electric plunger/solenoid that you will tie into a rpm activated switch so shifting is a non concern. I do know certain tracks I run if in the modified or no box class will allow the installation of an electric shifter but not an air shifter-kinda goofy to me, but rules are rules and the electric shifter we have in the truck works perfectly so I see no real advantage of air over electric other than it might limit certain class entries.

Alot of racers like the cheetah shifter also. Stay away from the 1/4 stick shifters. I've driven to cars with them manually shifting and the bicycle handle is a PITA since typicall you hit the 1-2 within a second of releasing t brake button and trying to mentally envision you need to fit your hand between the bicycle handle and shifter lever is too much that quick and I have pulled directly to 3rd gear more than once in these set-ups. Only reason I mention this is you need to make sure you can easily convert from automatic shifter to manual shifter to comply with class rules if you run a differnet track-so keep the shifter as idiot proof as possbile so your not cussing when you miss a gear.

Josh
Old 03-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '88 IROC-Z medium orange metallic
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
thanks for that. I think I'm going to get the Magnum Grip Pro Stick. I'll be able to make it fit the console. As long as it'll work with an auto valve body I'm game