Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Replacing Revers syncro in T56

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 6.2 383 TPIS Miniram
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 4.11
Replacing Revers syncro in T56

Is this something that can be done with the trans still installed in the car or does everything have to be removed from the transmission? When the car is running I cannot get it in reverse. I've read on here about people taking the reverse lockoutsolenoid out and cutting a round of spring off the end of the spring to make it easier, but if that is done and the syncro is out its going to make it that much easier to shift to reverse once the syncro is replaced would it not. I do most of my car repairs by myself thats why I'm asking if the syncro can be replaced while the trans is in the car I'd rather not pull it if its not needed.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:37 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 lG4
Transmission: 700r4
The tranny will have to be removed from the car. I would strongly suggest putting power to the reverse solenoid before even thinking about going that direction. Have you tried putting it into reverse when the vehicle is slowly rolling backwards? Or the better question is, have you ever got it into reverse under any condition?

z28redline
Old 05-14-2006, 09:15 PM

it goes into reverse fine while off but once the car is running you can move the shifter over in that direction but it acts like something is keeping it from going into reverse :-(
Old 05-14-2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by z28redline
The tranny will have to be removed from the car. I would strongly suggest putting power to the reverse solenoid before even thinking about going that direction. Have you tried putting it into reverse when the vehicle is slowly rolling backwards? Or the better question is, have you ever got it into reverse under any condition?

z28redline
Well I tryed the shifting to reverse with the car slightly rolling backwards and it will go into reverse that way. but if its running and sitting still it will not go into reverse even with your foot on the brake?????
Old 05-15-2006, 12:51 AM

Well, your blocking rings in the reverse syncro could be toast but I don't think it's the issue. Heres a link to tremec. TTC: Product Literature They have the T56 Service manual there so you can get an idea of what you would need to do to replace them.
You should keep in mind that when you cultch is down and the car is stopped nothing in the transmission is moving, thus if you try to put it into reverse and it won't go, the gears are just not lined up correctly. In this case the reverse syncro won't help you cause theres no rotating shafts/gears to syncronize.
Also, what car is this tranny installed in?

z28redline

Last edited by z28redline; 05-15-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:02 AM

91 camaro I didn't list the car because its not car related the car and motor wont have anything to do with the car not going into reverse. What is the stuff I've been reading about people cutting a round of the spring off their reverse lockout solinoid spring?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:06 PM

I've never heard of that before to be honest. All that would accomplish is it will be easier to get into the reverse gate but that wouldn't help actually putting it into gear. The solenoid was put on the tranny as a protective measure to stop people from shifting into reverse when the car is moving forward. I would try putting power the solenoid and if if that solves the problem. Then I would wire it to the brake pedal so it is only active when your on the brakes. This way you get that extra protection when your hammering through the gears that your not going to by accident slam it into reverse and blow the tranny. Just my 2 cents.

z28redline
Old 05-16-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by z28redline
I would try putting power the solenoid and if if that solves the problem. Then I would wire it to the brake pedal so it is only active when your on the brakes.

z28redline
is there any diagrams out for this as to what to hook to what. It looks like the brake pedal switch isn't even hooked up but some other aftermarket one wire button is under the dash can that (hot once ingauged) wire be connected to the solenoid? Is there only one wire to the solenoid if not what is to be the hot wire? I don't have a transmission book so I'm not sure really anything about the T56 I've change 4 700r4's on my other marrow. Never get a trans at a junk yard The 4th one just got rebuilt haha one a week for 3 weeks straight it was a mess.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:28 AM

I just did a quick search and found this information on how to wire up the solenoid:
"the next part is the reverse lockout.
if you look under the dash at your brake switch, you will see 3 wires. mine were yellow, somthing (red i think) and blue. connect a thick wire to either of the outer wires... i used 12gauge wire.. this wire will have power whenever the brake is on.
take one more piece of 12 gauge and put it to a solid ground. i used the same ground as somthing else used under the center console... its nothing more then a screw that goes into a piece thats spot welded to the floor... but its a good ground.

now hook the two wires up to the connector that goes to the reverselockout noid... this is the connector thats right next to the shifter on the drivers side. up at the top rear of the trans.
make sure nothing is shorted, then reconnect the battery.
with the brake off, it should be hard to put into reverse... if its not, shift thru the gears, then try again until its hard... you may have to rock the trans back and forth.
once its locked out and hard to shift to reverse, press the brake in. there should be a click, and it should go easily into reverse.
if it does not, you have the wires hooked up backwards... swap the wires where they go into the connector and try again."

That basicly lays it all out.
z28redline