Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

WC T5 - Heavy Duty Clutch / Astro Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 10:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 WS6 TransAm
Engine: LQ408
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: Strange S60, 4.10s
WC T5 - Heavy Duty Clutch / Astro Upgrade?

Looking to replace my clutch with a heavy duty piece and wondering what you guys have had good luck with? I am not looking for the cheapest and do want something that will stand up to a supercharged 5.0. (I have heard both good and bad about the Centerforce Dual Friction.)

Also wondering if anyone has tried any of the Astro T5 upgrade kits? Is this a viable option to the T56 replacement route? As I will already be in there.......

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
You'll have to talk to Astro about that, and see what they have to say about guarantees and such. Survival of parts in abusive envirnments is like that; one guy might explode it the first launch, and another might have one that's lasted his car's entire lifetime. It's all about luck of the draw, and how much risk you can tolerate. There's no such thing as, that it's "rated" to 500 ft-lbs so if you only make 499 it'll last forever, but at 501 it grenades instantaneously. Parts don't work like that.

For myself, I'm done trying to make a T-5 take any kind of power. I've already enjoyed as much of that futility as I care to spend. And as long as any mods continue to involve the stock case, I personally don't predict long-term success. But if someone else says they can get better results, then that's between them and you.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89' IROC-Z
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-Bolt/2.73
Originally Posted by sofakingdom
You'll have to talk to Astro about that, and see what they have to say about guarantees and such. Survival of parts in abusive envirnments is like that; one guy might explode it the first launch, and another might have one that's lasted his car's entire lifetime. It's all about luck of the draw, and how much risk you can tolerate. There's no such thing as, that it's "rated" to 500 ft-lbs so if you only make 499 it'll last forever, but at 501 it grenades instantaneously. Parts don't work like that.

For myself, I'm done trying to make a T-5 take any kind of power. I've already enjoyed as much of that futility as I care to spend. And as long as any mods continue to involve the stock case, I personally don't predict long-term success. But if someone else says they can get better results, then that's between them and you.
Astroperformance is hoping more people buy their parts for the GM aspect of it because as we speak they are trying to MAKE NEW GM TRANSMISSIONS (T-5), meaning 0 miles.....but they dont have all the t-5 peices to remake them yet and need help. I would like to but I'm just going to stick with my Auto.