Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

I have a REAREND problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro Rs
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: T5 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.08 Not sure
I have a REAREND problem...

Ok i recently baught a 91 camaro RS 5.0 5spd wel it still had the stock rearend in it and it went out the other day.....first it still works it just sounds like theres gravel in it......adn i need to know a good straight swap....rearend for rearend......if you could help it would be very nice......thanx

SAM
Old 02-02-2007, 01:40 AM

Car: 99 Camaro
Engine: LS
Transmission: TH-400
Axle/Gears: 3.25 9"
Originally Posted by U812
Ok i recently baught a 91 camaro RS 5.0 5spd wel it still had the stock rearend in it and it went out the other day.....first it still works it just sounds like theres gravel in it......adn i need to know a good straight swap....rearend for rearend......if you could help it would be very nice......thanx

SAM
Any 82-92 rear will fit camaro or firebird ..
Old 02-02-2007, 05:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Any 82-92 rear
Make that:

"Any 82-92 Camaro/Firebird rear will fit 82-92 Camaro/Firebird".

No other rear will be a direct bolt up. S trucks, Monte Carlo, etc., WILL NOT work. 81 or earlier Camaro/Firebird WILL NOT work.

A 93-up (4th gen) rear comes close, but isn't quite a direct bolt-in, because the overall length is longer. With 4th gen wheels however, a 4th gen rear is much closer to a direct bolt-in.

Do a quick search, you can find out the details. This swap has been discussed many many times, in very fine detail.

Might not be a bad idea to figure out what tore up; and make sur ethat either the rear is REALLY what's making the noise, that something else didn't kill it, or that you won't do again whatever you did whatever you did that killed it. Otherwise, you could end up spending a WHOLE BUNCH of time trouble and money, for nothing.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's a sorta growling type noise, that's usually the pinion bearings going bad. Not too hard to have a shop fix it, but it's almost surely cheaper to snag another rearend from the wrecking yard. Since your car has a T5, you should have 3.08 gears in it right now. Just make sure that whatever rearend you get from the yards has at least 3.08's or numerically higher (3.23, 3.42, etc.). You'd absolutely hate 2.73's with a stickshift. V6 cars almost always have 3.23 or 3.42's in them, so that would be a good, cheap way to get another rearend with a decent ratio. Besides, V6 f-bodies are usually abundant in the junkyards.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:30 AM

thanx for your help...now i need to know a good parts dealer for third gens got one......

Sam
Old 02-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by U812
thanx for your help...now i need to know a good parts dealer for third gens got one......

Sam
Which parts are you looking for?
Old 02-25-2007, 01:20 PM

just a good parts dealer classic industries or somtin ive kinda found out that these cars are year specific..,..i just need a good dealer.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Supreme Member

Classic Industries has a pretty good selection of parts, but they're way overpriced and their customer service pretty much sucks IMO. For basic interior and body stuff, you can't beat Modern Day Muscle. They also sell on ebay under the name "perrypam". I've heard good things about Hawks, a sponsor here on the boards, but I think they're overpriced too. Good customer service though supposedly. Bargain hunter that I am, I try to shop around for good prices. Go to the Aftermarket Vendor Review board on here and read the posts there. You'll find plenty of feedback about most of the businesses that offer parts for our cars.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:37 PM

THanx pat youve been a big help if you got any other tips hit me up.....i got a rear end to its out off an 84 camaro dont know what it had for a motor but my book says they didnt come anything less than 3:08 think i will ok..............Sam
Old 03-10-2007, 01:46 PM

Hey i put a rearend out of an 84 camaro berlanetta everything works great but now my speedo reads 10 mphs lower than it should.....what reduction gear do i need
Old 03-10-2007, 03:51 PM

You will need to change the gear in the trans to match the tire size and rear gear ratio..you will need to find out what that is any trans shop should be able to help you out.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:19 PM

Re: I have a REAREND problem...

i need a cam for a stock 305 what do i need
Old 04-02-2007, 10:12 PM

You will want to stay with something with under .400 / 260, lift/duration if you are otherwise stock, anything bigger will do you little good with a stock engine the stock cam in a throttle body engine only has around .300 lift .. if you are looking for an exact replacment for a TB engine contact comp cams or any other cam MFG they should be able to give you a close match.
TBI engines don't respond well to large cams with stock computers ...you also have a roller cam engine so you would need the appropriate cam to match ..
Old 04-06-2007, 11:45 AM

well edelbrock has a performer cam kit for tbi 305 it is.. 396 int. 416 ext. lift dnt exaclty know the duration yet but do you think it would be possible or do you think its to big with the stock heads...
Old 04-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Since it's specifically made for the 305 TBI, it'll probably work just fine. The amount of lift on that cam is actually quite low, so it should work fine with the stock computer. Duration and intake centerline affect the computer more than the lift does anyways. Crane did the same thing for TPI motors with their Compu-Cam series. They're also designed to run great without having to do a custom chip. You might notice a slight improvement running that Edelbrock cam over the stock one. You just have to decide if it's worth the money and the labor involved to change the cam. You're really restricted with the mods you can do on a stock TBI setup without a custom chip unfortunately. The calibration in the ecm is really sensitive to major changes such as a really large cam. The speed density TPI setups are the same way. You can't change too much without chip work. I don't remember the exact specs to the stock GM TBI cam, but from what I recall, it's not too much different than the Edelbrock one. I'm sure they increased the lift, and maybe the duration just a tad over the stock one, which should make a somewhat noticeable difference in the performance of your motor. One other piece of advice: Go to the TBI board and read the sticky posts there. There's a wealth of information in those posts about what cams will work decent, and which ones won't. You may even decide to go with a different cam after you're finished reading those.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:39 PM

OK your kinda right on having to go through all the trouble for not muchpower....im not trying to make the car terribly fast or anything im just 20.........i just changed my tire size and need a lil power..ive looked for chips but have had no luck for one with a 5 speed manual...if you know of one please hollar.....i just put headers high flow cat and flowmaster 80 sereis and my car car has better throttle responce but it needs some more....plus i need new fuel got any tips.....i dnt know what they are stock....but i would like to rebuild my tbi............i think it would be a good idea..............? And thank you very much sir......
Old 05-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

For a chip, go to www.tbichips.com. I'm almost sure they have them for 5 speed cars. If not, all you have to do is tell them it's a 5 speed, and they can make the necessary change to the chip before sending it to you. In addition to the chip, I still think you ought to buy a cheap 3.42 ratio rear from a V6 car in the junkyard, and throw that in. Between the new chip and the better gears, you'll definitely see an improvement in power. On my tbi car, the only thing I've ever done to the tbi unit was rebuild it once because the o-rings around the injectors had gone bad. If you want to try modifying yours, just print off the tech article here titled "ultimate tbi mods", and do those when you get a kit to rebuild it. I wouldn't go any further than that with what you're aiming for. The Holley 670 tbi units are great if you're going with a radical setup, but they're more trouble than they're worth if you're staying mostly stock. Make absolutely sure to use some oil on the injector o-rings when you put them in, or you'll be rebuilding it again due to torn o-rings. The two things I did to mine that made a big difference was changing the rearend gears to 3.42, and upgrading the exhaust system. The stock exhaust is pathetic at only 2-1/4". I put on the exhaust manifolds and y-pipe from a 350 tpi car, which has a 3" cat instead of 2-1/4", and a lot bigger y-pipe. I also put the Edelbrock RPM 3" catback exhaust system on. My car actually sounds like a 350 now, and it pulls way stronger than it did before! Headers are even better than the tpi manifolds/y-pipe, but you can pick up the tpi exhaust stuff dirt cheap from a tpi guy that ditched their stock stuff for headers, and it makes a big difference on a tbi car. You have to make sure to get the matching manifolds. The bigger y-pipe won't bolt up to tbi manifolds. Ask me how I know. Lol. So anyways, the bottom line, if you do the better rearend gears and better exhaust, you'll see quite a difference. The chip and tbi mods might help some, but I doubt they'll help as much as the other two. In fact, now that I think about it, if you try advancing your timing some, you'll probably achieve the same effect the chip will give you. I run mine at about 6 degrees advance instead of the factory 0 degrees.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

P.S. I forgot to mention I also gutted my 3" cat and had a straight 2-1/2" piece of pipe welded inside it. Still looks totally stock on the outside, and that size pipe fits almost perfect through a 3" cat. They sound a lot better with the pipe running through them, instead of being completely hollow. I just hollowed out the old 2-1/4" cat, and it sounded too "ghetto" for my tastes. I wouldn't do it unless you can slip it past the "smog *****" where you live though.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
A 93-up (4th gen) rear comes close, but isn't quite a direct bolt-in, because the overall length is longer. With 4th gen wheels however, a 4th gen rear is much closer to a direct bolt-in.
Actually, it is a direct bolt in, just not a direct replacement when running stock wheels.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Ok pat I changed my rearend dont know what gears the are its out of an 84 berlinetta and changed to a 3" 80 series catback setup with a random technologies converter...my car sounds alot meaner but still doesnt move like i want it....my dad offered me a tremc tko 5 speed but i dnt know if it will help for the money i would have to spend...if you have any more tips please feel free to give them i will be sure to soke them up.......Thank you ....If i could only say U812..but youve been a big help thanx...Sam