Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

I needed you guys two weeks ago

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2000, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I needed you guys two weeks ago

well me being the die-hard do-it-yourselfer that I am decided I was mechanically inclined enough to change the clutch on my car with little prior experience. Well other then some annoying problems of not having an impact gun(to loosen, not tighten) and that #!@$ bolt on the top of the bellhousing(i am sure you know which on I am talking about) it went smoothly. looking back I wanted to know about some of my workmanship and whether or not it was acceptable practice.

1)I hammered in the roller pilot bearing with a 13/16 socket and a rubber malet and basically seated it by eye

2)i used guide pins to help with installation of the tranny, but it stop easily sliding in about 1 inch before it sat snug with the bellhousing. I simply torque each bolts slowly and in a star pattern until it sat straight up agaist the bell housing. My concern was the the end of the input shaft was not mating with the pilot bearing correctly, or is this normal

3) i lost the little plastic piece that sits at the end of the clutch fork pushrod(actuator rod?), will that cuase some clearance problems down the road?
Old 09-15-2000, 02:13 AM

A few rather un conventional methods used here, myself i would be worried, but i am picky. It is really hard to say if you caused any harm while doing it because none of use were there to see how it all actually rooled along, however, i would maybe have a little convern for your lost plastic part. How does it ride out, any noises, clunks, slips, grinds???. if all is quite, you may be alright, just pay attention to it for a couple of weeks, i am saying this because i am doubting that you do not want to go back in again, just listen, feel you car and see if all is normal. come back here if something happens.

C
Old 09-15-2000, 10:20 AM

All sound great, minus i think i may have not properly torque on my torque arm ruber bushing tight enough (did everything to spec) becuase that seems to be acting up slightly. I have drivin it about 400 miles heavy stop and go driving and no problems yet. I left everything spotless during installation and lubed up the TO and fork where instructed. I was just concerned about those little kinks that came up. I probibly should replace that plastic piece soon. Thanks