Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

What do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I have?

I rescued an 86 Iroc from a reckless teenager, but need help to ID what I have for engine and tranny. The engine and tranny have been transplanted into the car, so VIN will not help. I have a TPI, but need year, size, etc. I have tranny w/OD, but that is all I know. I pulled the stamped codes on the engine block and tranny casing. Can I use the Id numbers for more information? How? Where?
Old 09-27-2000, 09:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
You can tell a little about the year by the valve covers. If they have bolts in the center, then the motor is 87 up; if they're around the perimeter, it's 86 back.

The TPI motor could be any of 3 varieties: a low HP 305, a somewhat higher HP 305, or a 350. Look on the bell housing flange on the back of the engine behind the right head, kind of under the wiper motor; there's a bunch of numbers there; if it says 5.0 it'a a 305, if it says 5.7 it's a 350. There are also some numbers stamped into the front of the block, on the head deck, just in front of the pass side head; I don't have a reference for them, but there are other people on this BBS who do. Post them on the General Engine board, it will have the greatest chance of being noticed.

For all practical purposes the only auto trans that ever came in these cars is the 700-4R.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."