Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Will an 85 trans work in my 86 car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2001, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will an 85 trans work in my 86 car?

I am about to put a 700r-4 trans from an 85 TA in my car,the car is an 86 iroc,will the swap go smooth?,my friend says the computer will set of things and the check engine light will come on,i also want to know about what a shift kit will do,is there anything i will notice?
Old 05-19-2001, 07:41 AM
Supreme Member

Yes it will but.....
You will likely find that your car doesn't shift the same though. I believe that your IROC will shift at @5500 RPM at WOT, right? The other one may put you at @5000 unless it happens to be exactly the same calibration (not likely). If you do want to do this swap, what is wrong with the one you have and do you want to sell it as is?

[This message has been edited by transfixleo (edited May 19, 2001).]
Old 05-19-2001, 11:47 AM

I sold the one from my iroc to a guy overseas,i have been buying and selling 700r-4s lately,i have one that i am getting rid of today to a guy in PA,he is meeting me in middletown,ny,do you know where that is?,if you need a 700r-4 then e-mail me,my friend has one for $300,i will probably get a few more as people need them it seems.do you know of the benefits of a shift kit?
Old 05-19-2001, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

First off, what a Shift Kit ISN'T. Most people associate the term Shift Kit with tire chirping shifts. Actually Shift Kit is a trademarked name coined and owned by TransGo Since 1959. The purpose of a Shift Kit is to correct the weak points of a given transmission. In most cases when someone complains of soft or slipping shifts it isn't BECAUSE if these complaints that they fail but rather there is a malfunction that leads TO the burned/glazed frictions and the poor shift quality is the result. There are many kit's out there designed to give you firm shifts but if that isn't the cause of your problem it isn't fixing them.

For example, in a 700 you have problems with delayed pressure rise which allows the clutches or band to slip until the pressure catches up. If you don't fix this, it doesn't matter if you put the Vette servo in or the .500 TV boost valve or not. They will only mask the problem. This problem is there whether it is a grocery getter or 5.7 IROC. The TransGo Shift Kit corrects this and other problems that these have. This kit however isn't available to the general public because of the technical knowledge required.

They do however have something that I think most of you are after though. It is called a Reprogramming Kit or also a High Performance Shift Kit. It has the basic fixes that the Shift Kit has and it has features to give the tranny HD/HP capabilities such as greater manual control and higher horsepower and torque handling ability. The 700 kit also includes some peices for when the unit is O/H'ed to give it higher RPM capablity (at higher RPM, residual oil can drag the 3-4 clutches on even when they should be off). This kit (the commercial version) has a video to aid in the installation too.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:16 AM

Hey transfixleo,i thank you for the info,i did the swap and the trans shifts great.Nice,firm,and smooth shifts, definately a difference from the OE trans, this trans is an 85 700r-4 with a shift kit in it.BUT the only problem is my check engine light is on and i checked the codes and it was code 33 and 36,not sure of what to do or what it most likely is,any clue?, my car is an 86 iroc,305 tpi.
Old 05-27-2001, 12:01 AM

hey iroc, did the tranny i sold you have the shift kit in it already? because it felt like it did. im pretty sure the trans from the different years should be fine as long as they are both from tpi cars, and the kickdown is correctly adjusted.
Old 05-27-2001, 05:34 AM

Hey dave,the swap went fine,and yes i too believe the trans had a shift kit in it as the shifts were alot firmer and i have owned 3 camaros and even one with a freshly rebuilt trans and they didn't shift as quick as this one,many thanks again,my check engine light did come on but it had nothing to do with the trans,the code scanner pointed to the MAF,it was just a loose wire thank god and when i plugged it in the problem was solved,i just have a leak coming from the trans pan,i am going to take it off and put another new gasket on and seal it up with RTV and see if that helps,if not then i will just go and get a new pan.How is the 442 coming along?

------------------
www.rearman.com/camarokid.htm

If it aint a V-8 that $hit aint fast!,unless its a GN,lol!

305 tpi,700r-4 with shift kit,My mods are minimal,just a bunch of little $hit.Anyone know where to get underdrive pulleys for a v-belt set up?