Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Just changing gears, not carrier, whats involved?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just changing gears, not carrier, whats involved?

Im picking up a set of richmond 3.42s for my IROC. theyre setup for the 2 series carrier, which is what im running. What is required to change this out. I know everyone says take it to a shop, but if I can avoid that Id love to. Btw, the car is an 86 2 3/4 Posi

------------------
"Experience life, Don't use it" Julie (petrick) Fink
Old 08-20-2001, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can do it, you need a lift, or youre going to have massive headaches, but you can do it. youll need a micrometer, which is what you have to measure pinion depth with, youll need youre usual hand tools, a torque wrench, an installation kit, which includes shims, seals, races, and bearings, and marking compound. youll also need gear lube, and you could probably use some bearing grease also. youll need lots of patience, and a little more time. you need a dial indicator to measure backlash, it's kind of a chore, but its worth it. l had a real bad experience with installing my gears but l was patient enough to get it right, the 4th time. my advice to you is to do everything to a T. DO NOT RUSH, youll have major headaches if you don't take your time. it might take you a week to do it exactly right, but thats a lot better then throwing away a $200 set of gears. I was lucky enough to not have to buy another set of gears, but it took some time to get it right. now l could do it with my eyes closed.