Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

bleeding slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: "'86 Camaro
Engine: Two 1/2 Squirrels
Transmission: Shimano
bleeding slave cylinder

I'm having a little trouble bleeding my slave cylinder. I got one of those bleed kits for brakes, but none of the adapters fit on the bleed screw. If I try to use the thing with just the hose it doesn't seem to work very well, it just pisses out fluid and sucks in air. I got my wife to work the clutch pedal while I worked the bleed screw, she pushes in the pedal and holds it, I open the screw and release the air and fluid, I tighten the screw and she releases the pedal. This seems to work for the most part except that I can't seem to build up enough pressure to break the straps on the slave. The straps are stretched, and the fork is moving a little, but the car is still up on stands, and the battery is dead, so it's hard to tell if theres enough pressure in the system. Should I cut the straps? Now that I've got some pressure, when I open the bleed screw now I lose all that pressure. Is there something I'm missing?
Old 09-30-2001, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I did was pump as much as I could from the master then I pumped the slave and doing that pushed air back up through the master and then sucked in fluid when I let it out. Do that about 10 times. If you have someone with you, after you've done that, try holding the slave cylinder in and have someone pump the clutch slowly and see if it pushes the slave out. Then your done. Should work. I haven't completed my swap yet but I'm getting there. I bled mine in a vise first and it seemed good. Will see when I get it in this week I hope.

Brad...

------------------
1986 SC Camaro
Mods: Threw 2.8 in garbage, put in rebuilt
350 .060 over, XE268H Comp cam, Edlebrock
Performer Intake and Edlebrock 600 CFM Carb,
Pete Jackson noisy GearDrive (which sounded
cool for about 5 minutes, now I'm sick of it)
Rebuilt TH350, 3.42 Rear Gears. LCA RLB's.
B&M Mega Shifter.
Soon to be T5 YES!!!