Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Hey Ed1LE got a ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt
Hey Ed1LE got a ?

How do you like your Tremec TKO? I am looking into getting the same trans for my Z,really need an overdrive gear.Was it worth it ? Complaints,price,where did you purchase it,etc?Any help appreciated! Thankx

------------------
1982 Z28:355,4 Speed,Lots of bolt ons
Old 10-24-2001, 02:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird 'vert, 91 Formula
Engine: 5.7, 5.0
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: Auburn w/ 3.73's, 3.42
Overall I'm fairly happy with it....have had it in for about 4K miles or so w/ no problems. The overdrive is nice especially w/ my 3.73's. 1st is real tight for daily driving, usually start out in 2nd but it launches nicely-can't wait to bolt on some slicks & really let her fly! I bought mine from Fortes for $2200 or $2300 shipped to my door. This also included the crossmember adapters & speedo adapter. The trans does include a special yoke too. I didn't install it, had a local shop do it along w/ several other mods just b/c I didn't have the time (but stopped by every night to keep tabs on the progress & the guy told me every little detail which was nice). They had to cut off an eyelet on the trans rear cross member mount to clear the electric speedo adapter, yours should be mechanical so you probably won't have this problem though. You have to keep in mind this is still a universal transmission originally designed for Mustangs so there are extra mounting holes, crossmember needs to be lowered, etc. The only other thing was the actual shifter sits about 2 inches to far forward (stock location for a stang) so we took my Hurst shifter and welded a 2" plate to the handle & then bolted it to the shifter so it was in the correct position. I've been banging the hell out of it w/ no problems or miss shifts. The trans is kind of notchy, but the feedback I got was that it's the nature of the beast & I've grown used to it. I shopped around a good bit too, comparing different retailers, brands like Richmond & even going the 6-speed route. The Tremec offered the highest torque rating & Fortes customer service was excellent. It's nice knowing my set-up should withstand any engine I put in front of it. I am currently working on a website that will include complete details & photos of the install. Lemme know if you have any other questions!

------------------
'91 Z28 1LE; 355, Sportsman II heads, Edelbrock TPI w/ 58mm TB, Tremec TKO 5-speed, 3.73's & much, much more
Old 10-24-2001, 03:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 Crate Motor
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73
Ed1LE,
I read your comments on the Tremec TKO with great interest.Recently swapped 300HP 350 into my 92 RS,and although I've had the T5 rebuilt once already,I know it won't last long.Was thinking of buying a new trans in the spring, but wasn't sure if it would be a Tremec or a Richmond.I thought the TKO sounded great, but didn't know anyone that actually had one.
Your comments and the advertised torque rating of the TKO have convinced me to go the same way.I'll probably order one this winter and install it in the spring.
Thanks,
Rich

------------------
1992 RS,5 Speed,T-Tops,Eibach Springs(cut), KYB's, Lakewood Trailing Arms and Adjustable Panhard Bar,Posi Disc Rear,3.73 Gears,Summit Rearend Support Cover,
Del-A-Lum Bushings,300 HP Crate Motor,Crane Comp-U-Cam,Edelbrock TBI Intake, Turbo City Ported Throttle Body and Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator,Open Element
Air Cleaner, Ground Control Strut Tower Brace and Caster/Camber Adjusters,SLP 1-5/8" Headers,Flowmaster 3" American Thunder Exhaust,3" Cat,Centerforce Dual
Friction Clutch,Hayes Billet Flywheel,B&M Power Steering Cooler,Big Thumpin' Stereo.