Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T5 whine. Who else gets it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Vert
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: T5 Manual
T5 whine. Who else gets it?

I've searched for this and seen mixed opinions. My T5 whines in 1 through 3rd gear only when I step hard on the gas. Nothing on the over-run or under light throttle. Sound like straight cut gears.

It is a non WC tranny. Who else gets this and has had it for years with no problems? Make me feel better about life... please
Old 02-10-2011, 05:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1994 Z28
Engine: 355 LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: T5 whine. Who else gets it?

Sounds to me like the throw out bearing is toast. On a more positive note, it's easy and relatively cheap to take care of
Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Not the throwout; that's part of the clutch, makes noise when you push the clutch

Noise in a manual trans in all gears ecept direct (which is 4th in T-5) is usually something to do with the countergear; usually the bearings, but maybe the gear itself. The strongest weakness the T-5 has, is the CASE; specifically, across the front, in between the clutch gear bearing and the countergear bearing. It stretches across there when heavily loaded. This allows the gears to misalign. Misalignment makes them noisy. Once this has happened to the case, it is trash, and no amount of "rebuilding", even with brand-new gears, will EVER fix it.

When the case stretches, the hole for the countergear bearing becomes oval, and it leaks. If it leaks, this is proof positive that the trans is destroyed. It may last a decade, or a year, or fail the next time you take off; no way to predict it.

If you can get up under your car and see trans fluid between the trans and the bell housing, it's toast.

Here's one that's so bad the bearing has been spinning in the hole, and has visibly eroded the case.

Here's a leaky one; note the trail of fluid dripping down from it.

Here's another leaky one, or maybe it's another shot of the same one (can't remember, these pics are MANY years old); the top one. The bottom one is a 2nd design box, which is why it looks a little different.

Basically if it's noisy, you're on borrowed time. That is, on even less borrowed time than just having a T-5 behind a V8 gives you in the first place; which tends to be short to begin with.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:11 AM
Supreme Member

Wow thanks for the detailed responses!

Surely the T5 isn't a particulary refined box and would have some whine as standard no?

Darn. I hope so anyway.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Supreme Member

No, actually it's a fairly well-made unit with good machine work and tight tolerances, doesn't whine much at all, until it gets the issue described above. It's just WAY too .... lightweight ... for being used (abused) behind a V8.

The long-term answer is, swap in a T-56.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:57 AM
Supreme Member

Hi sofakingdom,

Thing is I have just got the conversion done to T5. I believe you have to change hydraulics and it requires a fair amount of fabrication?

Is there anyway of reinforcing the standard T5 case? Perhaps some welded plates to toughen it up?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

G force sells a beefier case for right around 350
Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Supreme Member

Thing is I have just got the conversion done to T5
Well, I sympathize; but I'm afraid the parts do not. Nothing I can say here will improve their attitude.

If the gears are noisy, they are most likely ruined. Misalignment is REALLY HARD on the teeth: it applies all the force to the spot that the tip of one gear tooth touches the side of the other, instead of spread all along the whole height of the teeth, thereby wearing a funky sort of groove in them. Once the metal is gone, it's GONE. So, to repair the trans, you need a clutch gear and countergear, and a "rebuild kit" with all the bearings and selective-fit snap rings and shims and stuff; and of course, a case.

I've never used the G-Force case; but given that there's only just so much room in there for metal, I have a hard time believing that it's a very significant upgrade. They may well have done all that can possibly be done to make it tougher, but there's a physical limit to what can fit. If there was a way to mill the entire front and back of the case off and replace them with steel, it might do some good; but while "possible", I know of no one that has ever actually done it.

I personally won't ever spend another PENNY on a T-5; been there, done that, got the shelf full of trashed-out cores and bucket of wasted hard parts to show for it. It simply isn't enough transmission for a V8. Just not enough metal. The parts are simply too small to withstand the stress a large engine puts on them.

The T-56 is a better long-term option. I'd advise that you NOT spend any further effort on the T-5, but instead, start slowly accumulating the T-56 cnversion, as parts appear. Maybe watch the classifieds on this site, and keep your eyes open for a wrecked 94-97 Z28 or TransAm to show up in your neighborhood and gank the whole thing out of that, which will put you well on the way. Any money you dump into a T-5 is ultimately going to just go down the drain. The sooner you cut that off and start applying it to a sustainable solution instead, the less it will cost you in the long run.

And in the meantime, DO NOT let the T-5 run dry!!! Keep fluid in it, which will eventually turn into a full-time battle, as the loose countergear bearing spins in the front of the case from the now-loose fit, and continues to erode the hole even more, making it leak even more, making it run dry, making the gears have more friction, making the bearing spin more in the case, eroding the hole in the case further, making it leak more, making .... you get the picture. It's a one-way, downward, self-perpetuating, self-accelerating spiral. The gears will not survive long without it though so don't think you'll keep driving it until you get around to it; you'll be looking for a T-5 core and posting on here about all you can find is 6-cyl ones like everybody else, and still no closer to a solution.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 02-11-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 15th Anniversary Trans Am
Engine: built 406
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10bolt

G-force makes good stuff for t-5s, a buddy of man has a 638rwhp, 590rwtq Fox body Mustang that he has had a G-force Built t5 behind for 5 years now. It's still going strong. But I promise you he spent the same amount of money that a t56 would cost.

Either way listen to sofakingdom, he knows what he is talking about! I had a non WC t-5 behind my 600hp 406 and it didn't even last 10 races at the track on STREET TIRES!!!! none the less.....
Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 AM

Car: 1991 Black Z28 G92
Engine: 350 for now
Transmission: wc t5
Axle/Gears: factory 3:42

Sh*t! my t5 has been whining for about 2 yrs now. Inside the car it sounds like it is supercharged lol but I havent noticed any problems other than the whine. But wow after reading this my barrowed time may be running out!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Car: Red 1987 Camaro Iroc-Z28
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI 215hp
Transmission: Borg-Warner T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

This is not an encouraging thread. My T5 has been doing this since I bought the car 5 years ago....Sigh..no more driving like an a-hole.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

While sofakingdoms diagnoses is prob correct, there are a few other possibilities. might have some other worn parts in there, but also it could be the rear end if its only whining when loaded or coasting.
Im just goint to throw some encouragement out for the t-5 choice:
Ive several t-5 f bodies and the trannies have always been great. The t-5 is fine for STOCK v-8s. I even do some burnouts once and a while. traction and torque is what kills t-5s. If you up the power, add a posi and put on big meats, youll blow it in no time. But if you up your engine power but still have open diff and stock size tires, you can still keep the t-5. many people use them on cars with around 300hp, but not for serious drag racing.
i would think the t-5 would be fine in the 305 vert, but maybe someone has been abusing it a little?
Another bright side, t-5 are rediculously easy to rebuild, but if the case is strectched, get the g-force just because its easier than finding another original case.
if you switch to a WC t-5 I think you can also get a steel case support for the fron bearing assembly.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:37 AM

Car: 87' Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

WHINE WHINE WHINE!!! THAT EVIL WHINE!!! guess my tranny has the dreadful whining aids. told it about letting those dirty driveshafts touch it lol sofakingdom seems to know his stuff. ive got that 1st - 3rd whine upon accel with pitch increase in rpms. rear is fine. seeing as how i have a WC T5, would other WC T5s swap in and it be ok? like the ones in the mustands?? or would i be better off getting one out of another thirdgen? i believe its 87+ for the birds and 89+ for the camaros...DONT QUOTE MEEE!!!!!!! LOL i wouldnt mind the T56 but heyy, thats a little further down the road for me. anyway..help please.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM

My car made the noise in the 2nd gear mainly . 8 years later the noise disappeared . My T5 is so old i need to rev and be rolling certain speeds to get it in gear . and when it gets hot it becomes really hard to get into gear . im looking now at replaceing or rebuilding .
Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 98 Vortec 350 LT1 Cam w/ TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3:27

Been there done that. T-56 currently waiting to be installed when I get the time to do it.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4.11

My T5 whines in 1-3rd gear on both Accel or Decel, its behind an L03 right now and I don't plan on modifying the TBI engine, I'm just hoping it will survive a couple years till I get the LS swap going.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:26 PM
On Probation

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro

I'm new to owning a 87 IROC...if I did for what ever reason ever have this issue arise in my car, are you saying the its just not a good idea to replace the T-5s? I'm not one of those guys that feels like I need to really abuse the car or tranny, and for the most part drive pretty easy I'd say. Are these transmission made to last much longer and are decent with that being said? I noticed Hawk motorsports sells rebuilt T-5s for the V-8s...I see this is an older thread, but has the availability of getting these rebuilt by companies like this sort of become more available in recent years?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:28 PM
On Probation

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro

Originally Posted by ZZ42Fast
I've searched for this and seen mixed opinions. My T5 whines in 1 through 3rd gear only when I step hard on the gas. Nothing on the over-run or under light throttle. Sound like straight cut gears.

It is a non WC tranny. Who else gets this and has had it for years with no problems? Make me feel better about life... please

What did you end up doing? How long have you owned the car? Does your engine have upgrades. I'm personally a new owner of an IROC with 68K original miles on it. 305, 5 speed...seems to have only had 2 owners and taken cared of. Do a lot of these tranny problems come from guys with upgraded engines, and driving the cars hard? I read that there decent and reliable transmission until you start to abuse them...
Old 04-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

After reading this 5 year old thread...........

Just turn the tunes up. Whine gone.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: L31, LT4 hot cam
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:43 LSD

yep I've got a whine in 1st to 3rd and 5th gear. Had the fluid changed and since have taken it to a track and driven it like it was supposed to be and it hasn't got worse nor shows evidence of leaking. Nothing definitive by any means and sofakingdom's diagnosis and prognosis (eventual doom!) is correct I'm sure; but per the above, just put the radio up (which also helps delude about the various squeaks and rattles) and enjoy having a manual third gen...