Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

t5 noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 Trans Am
Engine: 350 Crate Motor
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi
t5 noises

Well I just replaced my throw out bearing because everyone I asked including some members of this forum agreed that that was what my noise was. I'm sure I installed it correctly, so I did some research last night on this forum and came across a thread that I, conveniently, no longer can find that led me to believe that maybe my transmission was rebuilt incorrectly. I had searched this forum for "tranny noise" and came across a thread where someone was asking about the gear noise in 1st through 3rd gear, if it was normal and what not. I'd wondered the same since my original non wc t-5 didn't do that. my wc t5, purchased from 86z with a claimed 5000 miles since rebuild, does make this noise which a lot of people say is normal but some guy in this thread said it shouldn't be in a t5 transmission. He said something about how he had rebuilt over 200 t5s in his 16 years of experience.

Any how my car makes a whirring noise whenever I cruise with the rpm at around 2000 or higher. doesn't matter how fast the car is actually going, could be forty mph in third gear or 70 mph in fifth. if I keep my rpms low it won't do it, like at 60 mph in fifth. also it will make a rythmic ding ding noise that follows rpm, almost like a click. this noise comes and goes randomly. I've only put about 10,000 miles on the transmission since I put it in, but I sure am frustrated about taking all that extra time on a throwout bearing only to fix nothing.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Re: t5 noises

My 3rd gear was noisy like that, and it lasted for a long time, then got jamed up one day on the eway when 3rd gear parts came lose.

But all gears making noise........ could be a ticking time bomb.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73

only way to know is to open it up. could be bad bearings or even the face of your gears are damaged
Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 PM

Car: '85 Trans Am
Engine: 350 Crate Motor
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi

found the post I mentioned earlier by a member of another forum Nxcoupe who was qouted here by oddjack.

"Ok, I will take a stab at this. One, if you just got it rebuilt, it didn't whine before, and it does now, then pull it out immediately. Something was done incorrectly and you are destroying it by driving it.
But first, lets talk about 'rebuilding' a transmission. I have heard this term abused so much on the internet. A transmission isn't rebuilt by putting new blockers and little bearings and seals. The gears do the work, the blockers and frictions slow the gears down so they can mesh together, like little conical brake pads on each gear. Oh and forth isn't a 'gear' per se, it's just locking the input and output shafts together, so the whine will disappear in 4th usually. To 'rebuild' a trans, it requires gears being replaced because I have never, never, never had a T5 come in for a rebuild that didn't need at least 2cd gear and a 1-2 slider replaced. If the trans was pulled it's always because it is either clashing(grinding) between certain gear shifts, or popping out of gear, or it has had a major failure of gear teeth.
Now that we have that out of the way, you are not rebuilding anything, you've just stuck a bunch of new parts into a bunch of worn out gears, which since they were bathed in ATF, except for the one guy that thinks he owns a 69 camaro and used MTF, your small bearings and such are still like new. Rarely do they need replaced except in a catastrophic failure, like gears breaking teeth off. The reason they use ATF is because all the little nooks and crannys are so small that a thick oil will not be able to penetrate and keep them lubricated properly. Every T5 I have pulled apart with gear oil in it needed every bearing replaced because if it. It's thick and flings off of the bearings and gears as they spin faster.
Back to the original question at hand. Gear whine. 90% of gear whine comes from the input not being shimmed properly by the trans person, I won't say rebuilder because of the lengthy explanation above, when they put the bearing retainer on. They usually just leave the old shims in and seal it up and call you for their payment. The input shaft should have around .002 to .004 endplay if I remember correctly, I've done it so many times I don't even use a dial indicator anymore. I have probably rebuilt 200+ T5's over the past 16 years. Maybe more. I am not sure. The next thing that makes the whine, this is probably about 3% of the time, is the little needle bearings in the back of the input shaft get damaged or one gets left out, or a piece of dirt gets into them, or someone puts the spacer ring on the wrong side of the needle bearings, or it is shimmed too tightly and the bearings get hot. The last thing it can be is from the thrust Torrington bearing and the race(round steel ring, looks like a shim, but smaller) being switched, in other words, they are put on in the wrong order. This is all that causes what you are hearing. The other thing is it can be caused from the trans getting really loose as far as the shim goes, and the gears get 'gulled' which is when they get a pattern on them that can be seen under a magnifying glass, which I always keep on my bench.
Quick way to tell it if is shimmed properly, if you grab the input on the part that goes into the pilot bearing with your thumb and index finger and you can wiggle it more than 1/32", then it is shimmed too loosely. If you grasp it in the same manner and it doesn't move at all, it is shimmed too tightly and this will ruin the trans, by heating everything up and burning up the needle bearings I mentioned earlier.
Hope this helps. Tranny's can go for miles making that **** noise, but they usually don't last long under power. Usually what happens is the teeth get thin from wearing funny and not meshing correctly and they will loose their strength,and then sheer off. Or a bearing can get hot and come apart.
That's all I have for ya."

So my tranny only has "gear noise" in 1st through 3rd. I understand fourth never should have noise because there really isn't a "gear" so to speak, but the input and output shafts are connected or coupled together?(feel free to correct me at any time, that's just what i've been led to believe) Fifth gear doesn't make any noise either. These sounds I've mentioned seem to be independant of what gear I'm in, but one tidbit of info I think I left out was that the "whirring" sound is affected by the load on the transmission and hence when I put the clutch in it almost seems to go away. I just faintly hear it. Same if I coast in gear, though not as quiet. That's what made me think throw out bearing to begin with.

I feel as though I've babbled enough now. How can I get info/parts on rebuilding a t5? I still have my old non wc that I've wanted to rebiuld anyway. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

http://www.thegearbox.org/T5.html

Id also consider spending $350 I think it is for the Gforce case
http://www.gforcetransmissions.com
Old 11-16-2015, 12:36 PM

So if I understand you on this, I have a T5 from a 94 V6 Camaro, it wines in all gears anything above 1500 engine RPM. From what you said it's probably the input gear or bearings, at any rate it needs to come apart.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Uh ya my WC T-5 doesn't sound odd at all so something is definitely off in yours.