Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T56 swap - Pedals, has anyone ever done this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: '96 T56, Hurst Shifter, Mech VSS
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
T56 swap - Pedals, has anyone ever done this?

Has anyone ever run a 4th gen clutch pedal on the 3rd gen mount? I imaging that would solve ALL problems. You would get the bracing of the 3rd gen mount, the 4th gen clutch pedal working as it should with the 4th gen hydraulics. It wont over extend the hydraulic rod and wont engage really high as everyone says the 3rd pedals with the 4th hydraulics do. The 3rd gen brake pedal working with the 3rd gen brake booster ETC? I cant be the only one who has thought of this?

BTW, I have been researching (search) for a very long time and im aware of the positives and negatives of using either the 3rd gen or 4th gen pedals, I just have not come across anyone doing what I mentioned.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: T56 swap - Pedals, has anyone ever done this?

Probably not...

THINK about what you'd have to do, to put that into effect.

You'd go to the junkyard and get the whole pedal assy out of a 4th gen (that being BY FAR the easier, and maybe the ONLY, way to get the clutch pedal out); remove the pedal assy from your 3rd gen; disassemble 2 pedal assy's; reassemble 1 pedal assy; and reinstall the pedal assy into your 3rd gen.

Now... explain the advantage of the disassemble and reassemble steps in the middle there. Specifically, why that's a better idea than just cutting the gas pedal bracket off of the 4th gen assy and sticking it into the car as-is, lock stock & barrel.

I think you'll realize, that's just a bunch of extra work.

{edit} Oh wow d00d, there's an obscenity filter on the word work now!!! FINALLY! It's about time.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 11-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Trans AM
Engine: Goodwrench 350 Crate motor
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I just installed 4rth gen pedals and hydraulics into a 3rd gen. Bracing was not a problem at all once all the bolts are tightened down. The whole assembly is very solid including the area where the clutch master is. I didn't even bother with the very top bolt that needs to have its hole elongated.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Probably not...

THINK about what you'd have to do, to put that into effect.

You'd go to the junkyard and get the whole pedal assy out of a 4th gen (that being BY FAR the easier, and maybe the ONLY, way to get the clutch pedal out); remove the pedal assy from your 3rd gen; disassemble 2 pedal assy's; reassemble 1 pedal assy; and reinstall the pedal assy into your 3rd gen.

Now... explain the advantage of the disassemble and reassemble steps in the middle there. Specifically, why that's a better idea than just cutting the gas pedal bracket off of the 4th gen assy and sticking it into the car as-is, lock stock & barrel.

I think you'll realize, that's just a bunch of extra work.

{edit} Oh wow d00d, there's an obscenity filter on the word work now!!! FINALLY! It's about time.
I have both 3rd and 4th gen pedals. Neither are in the car, as the car is auto. I have had the 3rd gen pedals apart to clean and paint them and took all of 1.5 minutes to disassemble and reassemble. I wasn't asking if it was worth my time, I was wondering if it would work and solve ALL the problems set forth that people have when swapping to t56's.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

What is the geometric difference between clutch pedals? I suppose I could search, but I'm assuming that the pin driving the clutch master is further/closer to/from the pivot point?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Yes, the 4th gen pin is closer to the pivot.

Well at the point you're at then, it's not too much extra work; but myself, ANY extra .... that .... is something to be avoided. Especially when fundamentally unnecessary.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:23 AM

Yes, drew it is closer to the pivot, which would make it function as if it were still in a 4th gen car which is what it was intended for.

Sofa, why unnecessary? because the other pedals work just ok?

Its not a big deal for me, i am in a situation where I have both pedals and both hydraulics, and nothing but time before the car will be back on the road for the driving season. I will just for the hell of it, compare the 2 and mount the 4th pedal on to the third to see if they even physically can be interchanged, then I will probably drive the car with both combos and see which one is better.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Trans AM
Engine: Goodwrench 350 Crate motor
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

If you can weld, how about cutting the clutch pin on the third gen pedal and re positioning it closer to the pedal pivot like it is in the 4rth gen. You could go even further, slot the pedal and mount the clutch pin so it has a range of adjustment.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by oamhmad
If you can weld, how about cutting the clutch pin on the third gen pedal and re positioning it closer to the pedal pivot like it is in the 4th gen.
Exactly what I was getting at... I think maybe I've even seen pics of someone's modified clutch pedal on this forum?

I can't even weld, but I can take parts to professionals and pay a few dollars to have them weld them up. Usually the pros only charge a couple dollars for small, fast, projects.

It would seem modifying whichever set of pedals you have, is better then combining two sets of pedals, which would leave you with one set of reject pedals.

It would be interesting to see both early and late thirdgen pedals and 4th gen pedals side by side, to compare geometric differences. Are the early and late thirdgen pedals identical in regards to the pin location?
Old 03-13-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 TA / 89 Formula
Engine: LS1 / L03
Transmission: T56 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.27

Unfortunately no follow-ups on this topic.. Anyone on this setup?