Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

ACT Clutch - Anyone used this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Formula
Engine: 406, CF heads, Comp 212/218, Rhoads
Transmission: WC T5, 0.61 option
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt 3.08, re-ground Auburn Posi
ACT Clutch - Anyone used this?

I am looking at this clutch disc as a replacement for my tired LuK.

ACT part number 6266320

Main features:
  • SFI certified
  • Spring hub
  • Ceramic friction material: high heat tolerance, high coefficient of friction, and low wear rate
  • Quicker shifting
  • Higher torque and heat capacity than organic discs
  • Reduces driveline shock, harsh engagement, and chatter
  • Recommended for road and high power street applications

I have no need to replace the pressure plate or flywheel. I'm just looking for something with a higher coefficient of friction and longer wear. I know ceramic will wear the plate and flywheel faster, but I'm done with the dragstrip now. I just want something that will hold when I pedal down in 4th and 5th gears. The old LuK did fine until it got tired after only two years behind my 406 and several Test & Tune runs.

Has anybody used this one? Good? Bad?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ACT Clutch - Anyone used this?

I wanna know too. I been looking and the ACT and Diamond clutches seem to be the best bang for your buck. I also checked LS1tech and found little info on these (but some). The only thread where I found images of the street version are here

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ld-swap-2.html

Originally Posted by HP52TA
Got the worn out clutch removed and installed a fresh ACT GM9-HDSS. Clutch is rated for 725 ft/lbs so should be able to handle the power I plan to put down.

The clutch and pressure plate is Spec 1.1 certified as well.

With the new clutch installed I ended up having to install the custom slave cylinder spacer I used with the 406 / T56 connection previously. Had this custom fabbed at a sign store that does water jet cutting for a $20.

Remote bleeder line is long enough to reach up near the brake reservoir and really makes the clutch bleeding easy.

The slave will be connecting up to a Tick Performance master cylinder.

Got the engine and tranny installed and now have the next hurdle with an alignment issue between the BMR LS1 conversion K member and the solid Motovative Perofmance engine mounts.

The mounts are to be exact replacements for the stock mounts so we will see where this one goes ...
Old 04-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like both you and I are looking at the 6 puck version on this clutch. should be more aggressive (like an on/off switch with little to no play in the pedal), not only that... it should clamp hard, may not be what you want on the street. My stock LS1 clutch I can baby in and out of gears on the street... Don't think I will be able to do this with the ACT (but why would I want to).

Other then that and the fact that RICERS SWEAR BY THEM, I have found nothing. ACT is new to the chevy (LSX) game. There are a few shops that say "we sale them all day", but I have found few ppl that actually have it installed. I'm going to get one anyway...

Just cannot decide if I want the 6 puck or not.
What did you come up with??
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Formula
Engine: 406, CF heads, Comp 212/218, Rhoads
Transmission: WC T5, 0.61 option
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt 3.08, re-ground Auburn Posi

Originally Posted by blakecharles
seems like both you and I are looking at the 6 puck version on this clutch. should be more aggressive (like an on/off switch with little to no play in the pedal), not only that... it should clamp hard, may not be what you want on the street. My stock LS1 clutch I can baby in and out of gears on the street... Don't think I will be able to do this with the ACT (but why would I want to).

Other then that and the fact that RICERS SWEAR BY THEM, I have found nothing. ACT is new to the chevy (LSX) game. There are a few shops that say "we sale them all day", but I have found few ppl that actually have it installed. I'm going to get one anyway...

Just cannot decide if I want the 6 puck or not.
What did you come up with??
When I run E85, I'm pushing about 530 ft-lbs at the flywheel. My T5 is holding up fine, because I don't take it to the drags anymore. Same for my 10-bolt. No hard launches and only street tires. But the LuK clutch wore out quickly, and now it won't hold in the higher gears.

The LuK did hold quite well when it was fresh, so I'm thinking the pressure plate is just fine. I think.

I see this clutch disc as a good compromise. Higher coefficient of friction and puck style will make it hold better. Plus longer wear. Spring hub will take up some shock. It will shock the transmission more than the organic LuK did, but on the street, it should be fine. Again, I think.

I haven't gotten any more feedback on it anywhere. So I'm just going to go with what I know about clutch design and materials, and see how it works. Unless I hear something different, this disc is on my shopping list when the budget allows. Along with repairing my bass boat, I gotta do stuff paycheck by paycheck.

If this clutch disc does not work, then it will be cheaper and more reliable for me to build a 700-R4 for the engine's output. About $600 to do that. Building the T5 or a T56 to take the torque, plus upgrade the clutch to match, would run between 2000 and 3000 bucks. So I'm hoping this clutch will do what I want for the street. Otherwise it's an automatic swap.