Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

What is the carrier in a rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 350 with .440" lopey cam
Transmission: 6spd T56
Axle/Gears: Detroit Truetrac with 3.73 gears
What is the carrier in a rear end?

I'm still debating what I'm going to do about my rear end to get posi in it. I'm trying to figure out what part is the carrier?

I know gears 3.08 and down are a series 2 carrier and 3.23 and up are series 3, but apparently you can get 3.23 and up that fit a series 2... not confusing at all! lol

How do you know which carrier the gears are for?

What part actually is the carrier?

I'm looking on ebay and see some of the Posi units being referred to as the carrier. Is this accurate? Just wondering if I bought a used posi unit with 3.73 gears on ebay if that meant the posi unit is the carrier and should work in mine regardless of whats in there right now.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: What is the carrier in a rear end?

Carriers...

Left is a 2 series stock Auburn POS w ring gear attached; right is a 3 series "hi-perf" Auburn POS w no ring gear.

THe carrier is the thing that is either posi, or not. The 2 in the pic both are. (nominally at least) A non-posi one will have nothing in the little "window" except a pin and the 4 small gears.

Be VERY CAREFUL buying such things on ebay... people are very confused about what is what, and will always use the most glorious words possible to try to describe a steaming stinking bucket of plop. Be especially leery of running into Eaton Gov-Lock carriers. The absolute worst possible design to put into a car that will run on pavement and might ever accidentally get any traction.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

I think the vast majority of ebay posis are actually those gov locs. Kind of a shame.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 PM

Hrmm yeah the one I was looking at in particular is an eaton gov loc.

What is so bad about them? I thought based on the 10 bolt faq thread that the Eaton Gov locs where the more common one and the Auburns where an upgrade option.

This is the ones on ebay I was looking at in particular (I know I'd have to change out my axles for this one but I thought it was a pretty good deal and the seller is reputable):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gm-10-bolt-7...9fac90&vxp=mtr

EDIT:
I did just see this one on there as well, but seller isn't as reputable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gm-Chevy-7-5...235287&vxp=mtr

G80 is the Auburn isn't it?

Last edited by Steven6282; 03-07-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

What's bad about a Gov-Lock is, it is basically an open diff, until the difference in RPMs between the axles exceeds some value determined by the weights & springs, which is aorund 150 RPM if memory serves; and when that threshold is reached, it then locks up.

So you get NO LIMITED SLIP ACTION WHATSOEVER until AFTER a loss of traction has ALREADY occurred; then suddenly, with a bang, it applies.

Works GREAT for an underpowered 4-cyl truck in an off-road situation where there's no traction. REALLY well in fact.

But in a vehicle with some power, and on PAVEMENT with TRACTION, it has a tendency to explode like a grenade when this happens. And I DO mean "like a grenade"... I seem to recall someone on this site who had that happen, and it ruined their GAS TANK because the debris punctured it. Although usually when they explode, not too much of it makes it through the cover.

Troll the truck boards for some real-world experience with the Gov-Lock.

G80 is GM's generic RPO code for "limited slip". It doesn't tell you what parts were used. It's been used for the Auburn, the 9-bolt, the Gov-Lock, and about every other specific implemetation of "limited slip" that they have offered, for the last 30 years or more.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by Steven6282
I thought based on the 10 bolt faq thread that the Eaton Gov locs where the more common one and the Auburns where an upgrade option.
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion from the FAQ. The open, Eaton, and Auburn are simply listed and nothing more. The Auburn replaced the Gov-Loc sometime early on. At any rate my 85 has the Auburn.

JamesC
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by JamesC
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion from the FAQ. The open, Eaton, and Auburn are simply listed and nothing more. The Auburn replaced the Gov-Loc sometime early on. At any rate my 85 has the Auburn.

JamesC
Based on the note below the links showing which were which saying the G80 was an upgrade option. Since only two links were given and it was not described what the G80 is, one would assume the G80 is the better one, and typically upgrade options are less common than standard options =P

Thanks sofakingdom. If that is how it works I probably would easily blow it doing autocross in my car so I will stay away from that one Looks like the auburn units on ebay are a little more expensive at 300 dollars and up for the ones with gears already, but if I'm not gonna have as large of a chance of blowing up my rear end with that one then thats the one I'll go with should I decide to go this route.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:39 AM

Based on the note below the links showing which were which saying the G80 was an upgrade option. Since only two links were given and it was not described what the G80 is, one would assume the G80 is the better one, and typically upgrade options are less common than standard options
Note that G80 is described in the topic line. Also the G80 was available with any gear ratio:

Do I Have a Limited Slip (aka Posi) (RPO G80*)?
Jerk the diff cover.** Open/Standard can be seen in the following link (post #1): https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tr...1073-posi.html (posi?)

Gov-loc (post #5): https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tr...rear-diff.html (3rd gen rear diff help!!)

Auburn (post #3): https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tr...ing-axles.html (Tips/Tricks for Installing Axles, Bearings, Seals)

*Apparently, G80 was an extra-cost option which could be special ordered on any rear regardless of ratio.

Anyway best of luck with your project.

JamesC
Old 03-08-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by JamesC
Note that G80 is described in the topic line. Also the G80 was available with any gear ratio:

Do I Have a Limited Slip (aka Posi) (RPO G80*)?
Jerk the diff cover.** Open/Standard can be seen in the following link (post #1): https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tr...1073-posi.html (posi?)

Gov-loc (post #5): https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tr...rear-diff.html (3rd gen rear diff help!!)

Auburn (post #3): https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tr...ing-axles.html (Tips/Tricks for Installing Axles, Bearings, Seals)

*Apparently, G80 was an extra-cost option which could be special ordered on any rear regardless of ratio.

Anyway best of luck with your project.

JamesC
JamesC, sorry if you think I'm knocking your FAQ post. You seem kind of defensive lol. I'm not knocking it, it's just a misunderstanding. From someone that knows little to nothing about rear ends, reading that makes it look like one of the posi's is G80, and one is not. Even with it in the topic line, having no foreknowledge of what G80 is it just seems like an upgraded Posi option.

I've gleamed plenty of useful information from your post and really appreciate it, so please don't think I'm slamming your post in anyway.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM

I've gleamed plenty of useful information from your post and really appreciate it, so please don't think I'm slamming your post in anyway.
No issues with me. If we aren't learning everyday, we're useless to ourselves and the world. Ask as many questions as you need to.

JamesC