Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

2nd blown T/C-Trans in a month plz help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
2nd blown T/C-Trans in a month plz help

Hello,

I am new to this forum but wanted to say thanks for all the info that I have already found here. I have a real problem with the trans in my 88 Formula 350 and hoping to get some help. Here is the background:

In May I found an 88 Formula 350 for sale with 50,000 miles. Owner was an older lady who had it for several years, but I could tell it had sat idle for some time. It ran ok, needed exhaust, and had a hesitation on accel almost like the cat. was clogged. The trans shifted fine but the car had no power when u floored it and it wasn't downshifting. Seemed more like a power issue then trans. Anyway I bought it as a project for my kid and I and started with the following:
New cat and cat back exhaust
Full tune-up- plugs, wires, dist cap, belt, fluid, etc
Ohm'ed injectors all fine.

Drove it a little and accel not improving. Showed code 34 only

Trouble shot the MAF and new MAF

Improved a little and but as power built back up, there was one 1 to 2 gear change that broke the tires loose and I wasn't even on it half throttle. It was strange.

Few days later drove it again about 3 miles. On accel half throttle to about 40 mph, I gave it about 3/4 throttle for see if it would downshift and accelerate. There was the smallest "ping" from the trans and all forward power was gone. Rolled home, had no forward gears, no reverse. Could move about 5 mph at 4000 rpm. No trans fluid gone, it looked fine with no smell, no smoke. Had a local trans shop tow it and said torque converter let loose. Had new t/c and rebuild on the 700R4. New cooler lines also.

Picked up and drove home. Still had that accel problem. Would not downshift and would hunt for a 2-3 shift and no downshift. Mostly felt bogged down. Like power wasn't allowing for good shifts.

Throttle body and IAC were horribly dirty. Full clean and new IAC. New TPS and all wires and voltage check within specs.

Another test drive.... Mild throttle no shift from what should have been 2-3. And "poof" trans gone again. This time lost all the trans fluid and burnt it up good. Same symptoms with no forward gears no reverse but moves at 5 mph about 4000 rpm. Back to the trans shop w/ warranty as soon as they can come get it.

Sorry for the long post, but here is what I am wondering. Short of it being a trans shop install, parts, warranty issue, am I or they missing something else?

Maybe lock-up is not happening, bad ECM, some other sensor that could cause this? Are any of the symptoms I described possibly caused by something that is being overlooked? Just don't want to get it home again and do a 3 mile drive around my neighborhood and have this thing blow up again. Thanks for all the help so far and any comments you may have!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC LSX
Engine: 5.7 TPI - LS1 Forged by LME
Transmission: 700r4 - 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23 - 3.73
Re: 2nd blown T/C-Trans in a month plz help

I can say that a bad MAF or a leak between the MAF and Throttle body will burn up a trans. I would have figured the shop that rebuilt the trans would have test driven it and found the kick down wasn't working and may be would have dug a little further to find the problem. Not that they have to find the problem but they should have told you something was wrong? It may very well be the cars fault, just have to figure it out. Good luck and I hope they honor the warranty. If it is the vehicles fault they don't have to but again they should have told you it wouldn't kick down. Assuming they adjusted the TV cable correctly and even replaced it.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7

Trans shop says the servo exploded upon itself. Either a faulty/wrong servo or they overlooked a small crack in the housing. Explosion shot a hole in the casing and they had to order a new case. However it happened, they are apologetic and taking care of it with full warranty. I confirmed they had a new cable is in there too. Hopefully we are back in business by Monday.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Originally Posted by lepk5
Trans shop says the servo exploded upon itself. Either a faulty/wrong servo or they overlooked a small crack in the housing. Explosion shot a hole in the casing and they had to order a new case. However it happened, they are apologetic and taking care of it with full warranty.
Of course they are. The previous builder didn't check everything; he hustled through it.