Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T5 tranny issues.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans AM
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: BW T5
T5 tranny issues.

I have an 88 Trans AM with a 305 engine and im not sure what's wrong. When I'm driving in any gear my car shakes and it feels like its coming from the tranny. It shakes randomly in all gears besides reverse. Its stops shaking if I step on the clutch or if I step more on the gas. The car doesnt stall but it definitely feels like it is. I was hoping if someone would have any idea. My uncle said that the clutch might be going bad but I would like to be sure before I start taking the car apart.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Re: T5 tranny issues.

Is the gear shifter shaking or the car? Does it happen at an certain RPM or speed?

Get it in the air, check suspension components for cracking and age. Check the trans mount.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by midias
Is the gear shifter shaking or the car? Does it happen at an certain RPM or speed?

Get it in the air, check suspension components for cracking and age. Check the trans mount.
The whole car shakes and it happens randomly but I could feel it coming so I step on the clutch to avoid it. I haven't been able to lift it because I'm fixing a fuel line that was clogged. I'm wondering if maybe this would cause the shaking to my car. Fuel being restricted causing some weak ignition or misfire?
Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1998 Viper/1996 Bronco
Engine: 8.0/7.3
Transmission: T56/ZF5

Restricted fuel shouldn't cause any shaking really. Normally you'll just have less power and or stalling if the fuel is too restricted.

Once you get that fuel line unclogged, if you still have the issues(which you probably will), the cheapest and easiest thing would be to check transmission mount like Midas said. Checking suspension components would be good too while you're down there along with the torque arm bushing.

To get some more pinpointed help, it would be nice to know more specifics of the shaking too, like RPM, speed, slowing down or speeding up etc.

I know ONE type of shaking that occurs from the clutch can be from a bad flywheel surface. If the clutch was ever taken out or replaced and they flywheel wasn't resurfaced, it can cause clutch chatter which can cause excessive shaking. This usually only happens though when you are starting from a stop. I don't think this would happen while driving unless MAYBE your clutch was really bad and almost out and/or your pressure plate was very weak from age/usage.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bubbajones_ya
Restricted fuel shouldn't cause any shaking really. Normally you'll just have less power and or stalling if the fuel is too restricted.

Once you get that fuel line unclogged, if you still have the issues(which you probably will), the cheapest and easiest thing would be to check transmission mount like Midas said. Checking suspension components would be good too while you're down there along with the torque arm bushing.

To get some more pinpointed help, it would be nice to know more specifics of the shaking too, like RPM, speed, slowing down or speeding up etc.

I know ONE type of shaking that occurs from the clutch can be from a bad flywheel surface. If the clutch was ever taken out or replaced and they flywheel wasn't resurfaced, it can cause clutch chatter which can cause excessive shaking. This usually only happens though when you are starting from a stop. I don't think this would happen while driving unless MAYBE your clutch was really bad and almost out and/or your pressure plate was very weak from age/usage.
It only happens when I'm speeding up and the RPM is never the same but its usually around 2000-2500 RPM. When it shakes it feels like if I'm hitting the brakes quickly over and over. It never stalled and it always goes away when I step on the clutch for several seconds. I notice the shaking gets worse when I drive more than 15 miles on the freeway and the engine is warmed up.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:20 AM

Here's an update if anybody cares. I fixed my fuel leak but I still had the same problem so I decided to do a small tune up since the previous owner neglected the car. I bought spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, wires, engine oil, etc. What I think might have been causing the issue was the distributor cap. One is was a bit old and two it wasn't bolted down. The distributor cap had a worn bolt.