Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Anyone using a TKO series 5-speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Anyone using a TKO series 5-speed?

It's as simple as it sounds. Since T-56 swaps are getting so expensive (roughly the price of a BRAND NEW TKO-500), I'm wondering if some of y'all have experience with these.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Re: Anyone using a TKO series 5-speed?

Lots of people have done it, it is fairly straight forward you just buy the TKO combination for the car and clutch and bolt it in. Aftermarket cross members are available.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Dont buy a tko500. First gear is too low.
Make sure its a proper f body specific trans
setup.

I use fortes parts connection for mine.

If possible, dont buy Hurst shifter. Its not great. I'm using a steeda tri ax, had to lengthen the handle a tab but its a good shifter and fits well.

The biggest issue with this transnis that it's very tall. When installed the back of the trans aims down significantly, which also changes the angle f the engine. Only way to fix it is to cut the top of the trans tunnel and raise it a little from just in front of the radio to the back of the shifter plate. I was able to keep the console and everything stock appearing, but its tight
Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac

I am running a TKO 600. It's a tough trans but a little crude. I first ran the T5 until it broke but the T5 was a smoother transmission. Mostly it's the shift quality. The TKO is what I call "notchy". You have a definite detent going through neutral. Mine shifts good and I have beat it a lot. Slicks, double disc clutch and 4500 drops with a 3.50 gear and 3700lbs is about as tough a job as any transmission ever gets. I just went through it to make sure it's surviving well and there were no issues as far as the gears, bearings etc. Even the blocker rings "looked" good but I went ahead and replaced them with carbon fiber lined rings. I also replaced the shift fork pads and seals and added a Steeda Tri-ax shifter. It's a little better than stock but still shifts about the same.
As far as installation I went with a Lakewood bell for an 89 T5 car since it has the slave cylinder mount and it has the bolt pattern for the TKO/Muncie trans too. I used the factory master/slave/clutch fork and a "stock" application clutch for the 153T flywheel. I used the factory automatic cross member and driveshaft. The TKO has a different spline on the output so I had to change the front yoke to match. I think I did a little "clearancing" with a hammer where the top edges of the trans gets close to the passenger's side. The shifter ends up coming through the floor board at about the back of the ash tray so I had to spin the tunnel boot around and make a shifter handle that looks like a dog's hind leg to put the **** in the right location. The transmission angle may be a little more than stock but I have an adjustable torque arm anyway so I just matched the angle. No driveline vibration or anything due to the difference.
If I were considering a T56 I would go with the Tremec Magnum which is a beefed up T56. The TKO is a fairly straight forward installation but does require some fabrication.

Last edited by antman89iroc; 07-25-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac

+1 on the F-body specific trans. TCET5009 AC is the code on mine (TKO 600)
I bought mine from "Powered by Ford" (LOL) in Florida. They supplied the trans, bell, output yoke and oil for around $3000 in 2009. Scott was very helpful and knowledgeable on the Camaro and he's still there, I just spoke with him a week ago. It accepts the factory torque arm mount and I used a poly bushing for it and a poly trans mount for the T5. It really isn't a big deal to mount it up, especially if you already have a T5. If I had it to do over I may look into the Quick time bell and possibly a hydraulic throw out bearing. The Lakewood bell is HEAVY. I did have to get an adjustable pivot ball for the bell. One other tip is to mount the trans to the bell and mark out where the pivot ball touches the trans. I used a die grinder to clearance around it to make the pivot ball removable when the trans is still mounted in the car. (doesn't take much) I have found that different clutch types require different ball heights to get the fork angle right so being able to remove it is a plus. That's one of the reasons I may have been better to use a hydraulic TOB. The Quick Time bell doesn't have the slave cylinder mount, at least they didn't offer one when I was purchasing mine.

Last edited by antman89iroc; 07-25-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I'm also running a TKO 600. Didn't use any adapters, just installed as it came. Also used the Lakewood Bell. For the most part no issues.

-I CAN see the trans tunnel being an issue, but I got lucky. It's close though.
-DS angle was also all outta whack, but that was an easy adjustment.
-I'm running a Pro 5.0 shifter. Loved the one in my T5. Basically fabbed up a handle, because as with everyone else, the shifter location is too far front.

Shifting is "maybe" notchier than my T5, but nothing near as bad as what I had prepared myself for. I don't think you'd notice if you just got in and drove. I'm real happy with it, and with the Pro 5.0, it shifts and drives great.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I did have to get an adjustable pivot ball for the bell. One other tip is to mount the trans to the bell and mark out where the pivot ball touches the trans. I used a die grinder to clearance around it to make the pivot ball removable when the trans is still mounted in the car. (doesn't take much) I have found that different clutch types require different ball heights to get the fork angle right so being able to remove it is a plus. That's one of the reasons I may have been better to use a hydraulic TOB
I needed the adjustable ball too. ...removed the old, and installed the new, ALL through the clutch fork opening while STILL IN THE CAR!!!!!!!!! Lots of cursing. This is one my greatest automotive accomplishments to date, lol!!!!! What a sh*t show THAT day was.....
Old 11-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 Crate Motor
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73

I swapped to a TKO in my '92 RS, I bought new (with kit from Forte's) back in the 90's, after blowing up two T-5's.
Older kit has some shortcomings, but at the time there weren't a lot of options.
1" thick aluminum plate bolts between stock T5 bellhousing and Tremec.
3/4" thick aluminum spacers lower the stock trans crossmember enough for the TKO to fit, but it still is right up against the floor and part of the trans scrapes on speed bumps..
Used TKO shifter that came with trans and bolted my T5 Hurst stick to the stub.
Upgraded to Hayes flywheel and Centerforce Dual Friction clutch kit and roller pilot bearing.
Came with proper speed sensor and gear for my 3.73 gear, backup light switch, 3 quarts of GM Synchromesh Oil and a TH400 size yoke (used aluminum 1LE driveshaft)
Crate motor came earlier....this trans (made before there was TKO500 or TKO600) has taken all the abuse I've dished out over the last nearly twenty years...

Shifting, like mentioned above, is not as smooth as some transmissions but I feel like it's one of the best upgrades I've done.

-Rich
Old 11-09-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi

Patience, and careful shopping can sometimes pay off. I found my T56 on Craigslist, of all places, but it took over 2 years to find a decent deal. My total cost for the transmission, and a rebuild, which turned out to be a great idea, but not entirely necessary, was $1700.00. That’s not terrible, considering I’ve seen people offering for sale worn out T56 transmissions for more than I have in my freshly rebuilt trans.

...now if I could only find the time to install it...
Old 10-30-2019, 07:48 PM

Car: 1982 Camaro z28
Engine: 305 CFI
Transmission: 200M
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Just curious what part of the floor does the TKO hit? Getting ready to mock everything up to get my 84 Z28 back together. I will be using a Lakewood Bell and going to try and fab a trans cross member together, something more friendly for exhaust.
Thanks!
Old 11-02-2019, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

It hits the floor under the ashtray and most of the shifter area of you try to raise the trans to the stock height. Its problem is the extra "shifter towers" on top. You can use it without, but the output shaft aims down and messes up the u joint angles
Old 11-07-2019, 07:36 PM

Car: 1982 Camaro z28
Engine: 305 CFI
Transmission: 200M
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Thank you for the description!