Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Any Experience With Core - Hurst Shifters sold on ebay ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:13 PM
Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro Convertible
Engine: LB9 Heads/LT1 Cam Holley 670 Carb
Transmission: T5 Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Any Experience With Core - Hurst Shifters sold on ebay ?

I'm planning to swap from 700R4 to a WCT5 and I'm putting together a parts list/ budget.

I was planning on going with a Pro 5.0 shifter since most people seem to believe it's among the best T5 shifters available.

However, I like the look of the chrome Hurst shift lever and I came across the Core - Hurst shifters on ebay. This might be a little cheaper way to go since they come with the rubber shifter boot and a Hurst shift ****; not to mention the cool chrome Hurst shift lever.

Wondering if any of you have any experience with these shifters on a thirdgen application. I'd like to know how the feel of the shift and length of throw might compare to the Pro 5.0.

Also, I'm a bit concerned that the Core shifters do not have any stops (set screws) built in. Their advertisement says that it's not needed with a T5 transmission. I'm not so sure about that.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Any Experience With Core - Hurst Shifters sold on ebay ?

Hurst stopped making shifters for most 'late model' applications, several years ago. The competition like Pro-5.0 kind of took the wind out of their sales, so to speak. The corporation that owns Hurst also owns B&M. So the bean counters apparently figured they didn't need to compete with themselves, so they stopped building a bunch of shifters for late model applications. When they shut down those product lines, they wholesaled a warehouse full of parts, which promptly showed up on Ebay as a flood of basic Hurst shifters, *****, levers, etc.

My first thought is why you would want to 'fake' a Hurst shifter. You could get just the Hurst chrome lever and shifter **** and slap it on the stock shifter, it wouldn't make it a Hurst.

Second thought is that historically the fancy chrome "Hurst" levers are really stupid long. Like ape hangers on your 70's Schwinn beach cruiser long. Longer levers mean more leverage, but longer throw. You have to move the shifter further for each gear change. Kind of defeats the purpose of a "short throw" shifter.

Even when Hurst made thirdgen shifters, they made a few different versions. The entry level Comp was a cast aluminum base, with a short throw mechanism. The next step up, Competition Plus added the positive stops to keep you from tearing up the trans by overtraveling. After that, the top of the line attempt to compete with B&M and PRO-5.0 was the Billet Plus which added the billet aluminum base, and beefy modern construction.

That bit about the T5 not needing positive stops is total hog-wash.

SHIFTERS

One of the T-5 weak points is the stock shifter. There are no positive stops on the shifter itself, so it is easy to "over shift" the transmission. This can cause bending and cracking of the shift forks and is most notable when really banging the gears hard. This flexing of the shift forks will result in damage to the synchros. One of the best things you can do, especially if you like to shift hard or fast, is to use an aftermarket shifter with positive stops that are correctly adjusted in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.
-Source : https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...rticle.171291/ -

Also, it's worth mentioning that Hurst usually didn't pair the stupid long chrome "Hurst" levers with their late model shifters. Even Hurst knew they were not a great thing for improving shifting. The chrome lever and ball, sometimes with a console trim plate, was intended more as a dress-up kit. The levers supplied with their shifters were usually basic since they'd be hidden by the boot in a Camaro or Mustang anyway.

So yeah, no experience with "Core", but I can't see buying an unknown quantity, with a Hurst dress-up kit. Not when you can buy a Pro-5.0 that's built like a tank.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:29 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: Any Experience With Core - Hurst Shifters sold on ebay ?

I have nothing negative about Core. They appear to offer nice genuine Hurst parts, and knowledge when I have inquired

Hurst released a Blackjack line not long ago, in a select few fitments, not including third gen. If you wanted a very fast ratio shifter, the S10 version with a bit longer handle should work in a third gen.

I do prefer a shifter with stops. The stops are larger, blunt surfaces on a (discontinued) Comp-Plus. The internal "stop" surfaces of a Borg Warner family internal rail trans. like the T5 are slightly pointed and in the loooong run, the guide plate and rail guide/detent piece will wear. I am talking 150,000+ miles. There is zero reason to avoid a shifter with properly adjusted stops in the T5.

My vote is to try and score a used or NOS Comp-Plus for the third gen. I guess I feel like for a couple hundred bucks, stops should've included. Pro 5.0 stick-to-shifter mating surface designs are inferior to Hurst splining, and for the T5, I don't see what they offer over a Hurst with stops.

With regard to stupid handles, Hurst offered longer handles to match quicker ratio shifter base mechanisms. An S10 Comp-Plus for example has a long handle, but a quick ratio base. An F-body Comp-Plus has a much shorter handle, and a slower ratio base. In other words, Hurst tended to put out product that worked for the application.

Also about the stupid long handles, you have in a third gen, a shifter position that allows the handle to be shorter and run a less aggressive pivot ratio. You're not going to go wrong with that, for ease of drivability, and selection feel.