Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Need help identifying Hurst Dual Gate Automatic Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help identifying Hurst Dual Gate Automatic Shifter

I have this shifter on the shelf in the garage and need help identifying what tranny I can run with this. The only numbers I can find are on the rods but nothing on the housing itself. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Numbers I have are # 31 214 0104, 1058501, and 1174769.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Need help identifying Hurst Dual Gate Automatic Shifter

It's for a 4-speed. So, not T-350 or T-400. In a GM, would probably work with either a 700-R4 or a 200-4R.

Looks like the perfect thing to sell to The Greater Fool. Gotta be THE WORST shifter ever made. You'll find out why when you get all excited at the strip and bump it just a little too hard - doesn't take much - and it goes to N, or even R, instead of stopping at D or OD. If I bought a car and it had one in it, that would be THE VERY FIRST THING I would get rid of... probably while waiting for the oil to drain out of the motor when I got it home.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it. I guess I'll weight out all my options on the build.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 629 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
- and it goes to N, or even R...
Keeping it in the "race" gate will prevent that. I find that when working properly the shifting is pretty good and you can rely on the spring action (laterally) to keep the gear selected. It is possible to hit neutral at the top of the gate but there's a deliberate movement needed to get it there. Reverse isn't possible.
At one point I had considered getting something more along the lines of a quarter stick but I've grown very used to this one.

Last edited by skinny z; 08-04-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 'ROC
Engine: 5.7L

So, sofa- you’re saying the Hurst D/G is “so-so”? :P
Damn man most people seems to love’em- I got one of these in the basement to go in over winter!
Old 08-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

I've known several people that blew up their motors at the strip because of those.

It was first used in 442s and such in the late 60s; actually sold by GM as an option in cars for a time; it was typically called the "his & hers" shifter. (back before political correctness) It was pretty much a POS from day one.

Keeping it in the "race" gate
And therein lies the problem. It doesn't do a very good job of that. No better really than any other stock shifter. It's just ... weenie. Doesn't take a particularly critical eye to see that. As said, one of those "cool factor" items to allow The Greater Fool to empty his/her wallet on you for; those intellectual lightweights who are easily distracted by shiny things. Let THEM blow up their motor.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Mine works fine and I like it.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I have no issues with mine either. Much better in normal mode vs the factory junk. So much that I don't play with the race gate side very much at all. The factory pos slipped up into the next gear too easily. I don't have that problem with the Hurst at all. That being said it sucked to install. Could not get it adjusted to hit 1st and park no matter how much I adjusted the cable. One or the other but not both. The throw was too long on the supplied linkage in my case. So I drilled another hole in the linkage to make a shorter throw and it works fantastic. Mine is a play around cruiser so jamming the gate side isn't necessary but when I have used it it works with no issues. I can see how a worn out one would be complete garbage. There looks to be a fine line from fantastic to crapomactic in a heartbeat because of the design.

For the original poster you are missing some parts if that is all you have. The neutral safety switch attachment bar is missing. The lower mounting bracket is missing on the rear of the shifter. Good luck finding those parts. Mine came without the neutral safety switch but I was able to fabricate one with flat stock. You are also missing the cable and the required linkage to the transmission as it does not use the factory cable or transmission linkage. If you have those parts, great. Otherwise, it is a garage display or parts for another guy.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Dual-Gates? Sheeeeeeeeeeit Dawg, you need the Hurst shifter with three gleaming "marital aides" to truly bring you back to your first glory-hole gangbang experience...

Because if one Hurst shifter is good, three is mo betta. Am I right?

So much effort to church up an automatic. Put it in D and go. Jerking off three chromed out over-compensators, while you should be watching the road in front of you sounds like a great idea. Just... grand.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:04 AM

Lol
What a phallic-metaphor assault on the ol’Hurst lightening rods!
Well you know what they say.. “There is a special feel in an Oldsmobile” :P
Old 08-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by Drew
Dual-Gates? Sheeeeeeeeeeit Dawg, you need the Hurst shifter with three gleaming "marital aides" to truly bring you back to your first glory-hole gangbang experience...

Because if one Hurst shifter is good, three is mo betta. Am I right?

So much effort to church up an automatic. Put it in D and go. Jerking off three chromed out over-compensators, while you should be watching the road in front of you sounds like a great idea. Just... grand.
OMG I remember those , godawful hideous look , like a crop of wild mushrooms growing out of the console . I recall "back in the day" specifically rejecting an olds purchase due to that monstrosity sticking out of the console . At least the "pistol grip" in my Road Runner had , , , class ....

PS , sorry for the 40 year old picture , that really WAS my 1970 Road Runner in about 1978 , 440 sixpack , 4 on the floor , pass everything but a gas station
Attached Thumbnails Need help identifying Hurst Dual Gate Automatic Shifter-1970-roadrunner-1.jpg  
Old 08-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member

And yes , before you ask , it DID have the real "Air Grabber" hood with the huge rubber gasket connecting the ram air to the oval air cleaner on the three carbs , click a little switch on the dash and off to the races ! , , , Except not in the rain , of course .....
Attached Thumbnails Need help identifying Hurst Dual Gate Automatic Shifter-1970-roadrunner-5.jpg   Need help identifying Hurst Dual Gate Automatic Shifter-1970-roadrunner-4.jpg  
Old 08-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

With all of the original components working as they should, gear selection is pretty easy. And reverse is all but impossible. Even from the "hers" gate.
As with anything, there's a learning curve but even when concentrating on the tree or trying to stay in the groove, I don't have to think about the shift.

Last edited by skinny z; 08-05-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Chopski
Could not get it adjusted to hit 1st and park no matter how much I adjusted the cable.
Agreed. I had to go at it several times to find the "sweet" spot. Every so often finding park is hit or miss.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 1984 z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 4.11

You should start by saying in my opinion because that's terrible advice and wrong

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Looks like the perfect thing to sell to The Greater Fool. Gotta be THE WORST shifter ever made. You'll find out why when you get all excited at the strip and bump it just a little too hard - doesn't take much - and it goes to N, or even R, instead of stopping at D or OD. If I bought a car and it had one in it, that would be THE VERY FIRST THING I would get rid of... probably while waiting for the oil to drain out of the motor when I got it home.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 84 z28
....... in my opinion ......
Remember , opinions are like buttholes , everyone's got em , and everyone thinks the other guy's stinks worse than his own ........
Old 08-29-2018, 08:14 PM

Skinny how much pressure to push it from D to N? I realized today when cruising I’m left hand-steering wheel, right arm laying on center console across with hand on shifter and it occurred to me with some upward pressure (but obv the factory shifter button keeps it locked in D.)
Old 08-30-2018, 06:30 PM
Supreme Member

I drive much the same way however the pressure my hand exerts on the shifter is more pulling back.
That said, pushing forward into neutral takes some effort. I wouldn't be a bump in the road sort of thing but it's strictly the detents in the transmission that keep it in gear. That and whatever friction there is in the shifter cable.
FWIW, after 150 000 kms (or so) I can't say I've ever gone into neutral while cruising. The Hurst Indy-Matic shifter I had in my Chevelle...that's a different story.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:08 PM

Rockin. Good to hear. Thanks Z.