V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

antifreeze, oil, fluids in general

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Birdy
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: auto
antifreeze, oil, fluids in general

Hey guys, me again.

I don't know anything about cars and I'm learning as I go. I just bought a 91 bird and I was wondering what kind of oil to get and how to drain the coolant. Also, is it normal if a few drops of water drip from the exhaust or is the coolant leaking, someone told me about this.

Thanks again
Old 09-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Welcome to the v6 forum! Water dripping from the exhaust is just condensation... it's normal. Most mufflers have a drain hole or two at the side bottom of the casing to allow that water to drain out.

As for draining antifreeze, my way is to yank the lower hose off of the radiator. Nice and quick and less mess (for me, anyway-- if you don't place the pan correctly under that area, you'll get antifreeze all over the floor).

There's a draincock on the passenger side bottom of the radiator that you can loosen with pliers, but the antifreeze tends to run right onto the frame, and puddle beneath the radiator, and then you've got antifreeze dripping from 5 places.

This won't get all the antifreeze out of the motor, though... there's drain plugs somewhere on the block; I've never taken them out though.

As to what brands, well, whatever you like... I use valvoline oil (when I can find it) and mobil 1 grease (can't find valvoline locally anymore) and prestone antifreeze. I run 10w30, you can run 5w30 if you live in a really cold climate. And you're limited to just "green" glycol antifreeze, not the new orange ("100,000 mile") stuff.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Birdy
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: auto
thanks for the info Tom, actually, I just bought the Havoline antifreeze, the orange stuff and the coolant container was empty when i got the car so i just poored it in, later on i found out that it still had a lil bit of the green coolant when i opened the cap, hopefully there wont be any problem with that.