V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

CAR WILL NOT START!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: :( 3.1
Transmission: 700r4
CAR WILL NOT START!!!!!!!!

1991 camaro 3.1 208,000 miles

perfect fuel pressure(2 year old fuel pump), getting spark. new computer, distributor, ignition module, IAC, MAP, plugs, wires, timing chain, coil. turns over easily and gets spark, but will not run. ---- more to the story, 1 year ago it ran fine.. sort of.. the last couple times i drove it it was slightly loosing power but not way too bad... then one day as i was haulin a** around a corner and as i went to let off the gas it starting choking and backfiring. so i figured it jumped time... but when i replaced the timing chain it did not jump time... so i put a new one on anyways and put it back together.. no crank. replaced old cap and rotor and realized my distributor hold down had came loose to i adjusting it and then it cranked. (no timing light) so i drove it down the road... ran PERFECT. then started acting up.. so i pulled back in and saw the distributor moved so i moved it back... drove it and it ran sluggish.. well i thought it was my tranny for some dumb reason so i drove to advance and bought lucas stop slip.. put it in and started driving.. then it cut off again. so i left it on the side of the road and the next day had my friend bring a fuel pressure tester and diagnostics tester.. well it had great fuel pressure but the timing was still off so we adjusting the timing and it ran great.. so i drove it back home as slow as i could . the next day we got a timing light and set the timing. RAN PERFECT AND BETTER THAN IT HAD EVER.. for one hour. i cut it off and it cranked back up.. went and got someting to eat and when i drove it back home it sputtered durring initial movement but after about 2000 rpm smoothed out. so i said let me not drive it so i parked it. then went to move it and wouldnt crank. WTF so then i proceded to buy all the above parts. and it cranked once after... about 3 months after i started working on it but ran like SH** but ran.. timing was right.. and now it hasn't started again..WTF IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by davidopliger; 08-03-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Car: 89 V6 Camaro
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open diff
Re: CAR WILL NOT START!!!!!!!!

Could be injectors. Sounds like my car last summer when I damaged an injector while doing a head gasket.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:50 PM

yeah but it doesnt make sense that one bad injector will not allow it to run. i should have five good ones.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 PM

Car: 89 V6 Camaro
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open diff

That one bad one made the car run like ****. With one bad injector your O2 readings are thrown off so your car tries to compensate by changing how much fuel is going into the motor. In my case that one injector was just dumping fuel into the motor, kept fouling plugs and the other cylinders were running lean I believe.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:39 PM

Car: 90 RS/90 Z-71/73 Vega
Engine: 3.1/5.7 TBI/5.7
Transmission: 700R4/700R4/350turbo
Axle/Gears: 3.23/3.42/3.42

One of the key things people overlook is when you tested fuel pressure did you just read the initial reading (key-on engine off/engine running)?.You also need to read pressure once its shut off.If you watch the fuel pressure just after you shut it off the pressure should drop slightly(few lbs.) and stay there for a least twenty minutes.If it drops more then 20 lbs in a few seconds or less then 20 minutes then you have an problem in the fuel system..like 2.8RS said possible fuel injector going bad.Try pulling a plug and see what it looks like?..might narrow it down.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 AM

i tested the fuel pressure theory a couple weeks ago. no dramatic drop. i wonder if the fuel pressure regulator is not holding the correct amount of pressure and pouring gas in.. cause even tho my fuel pressure didnt drop, when im turning it over theres a decently strong odor of gas. more than i would expect even for it not actually cranking.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 AM

Car: 90 RS/90 Z-71/73 Vega
Engine: 3.1/5.7 TBI/5.7
Transmission: 700R4/700R4/350turbo
Axle/Gears: 3.23/3.42/3.42

Originally Posted by davidopliger
i tested the fuel pressure theory a couple weeks ago. no dramatic drop. i wonder if the fuel pressure regulator is not holding the correct amount of pressure and pouring gas in.. cause even tho my fuel pressure didnt drop, when im turning it over theres a decently strong odor of gas. more than i would expect even for it not actually cranking.
If theres not drop in fuel pressure..and your smelling fuel.I would say your ignition system isnt working ..have you tried a ignition module or at least pulled the old one and inspected it.Make sure theres dialectric grease still underneath it where it mounts?.igniton modules still can show spark but not work right.The ECM uses it to control timing..and injector pulse.etc..something to consider.