V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

timing help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: 5 spd
timing help

I need some help on how to time my camaro, I know the timing is off pretty bad and I need to know how to time it...without a timing light as accurately as I can until I can get a timing light I don't need it perfect but it can barley run as it is right now and I need to take it to get inspected, my brother just told me to advanced the timing a little bit but ive been reading up on how to time it and it sounds like there is a little more than just turning the dizzy but for all I know, that could be all I need to do but I'm an noob when it comes to this stuff. Thanks to anyone that can help, oh and does anyone know if I can pass inspection without a muffler and a horn? Its an 89 so I don't think I need the muffler (thats what my parents are telling me atleast) but the place that inspected it last year wouldnt do it this year because I have tint but he did I it last year when it had tint on it too, so I gotta take it somewhere else that can inspect cars with tint

Last edited by 89xCAMAROxRS; 01-21-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1996 Camaro, 1985 Camaro
Engine: 3.8, 3.4
Transmission: WC T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23(?), 3.42
Re: timing help

Just time it by ear..if it sounds decent, doesn't backfire, have crap for power(more so than stock anyway), or chug gas like my buddies truck your fine.
The lack of muffler and horn would fail in my state, and probably yours as well.
The tint laws in my state allow you to tint the rear windshield all the way to limo tint (5%), and the rear windows, the front windows and windshield can not be tinted, rear windows might also not be legal to tint all the way to 5% can't recall for sure, and technically speaking a coupe can't have the side windows tinted, which is bs...not like anything ever happens in this state, except maybe in philly.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: 5 spd

Originally Posted by Project 3.4 Camaro
Just time it by ear..if it sounds decent, doesn't backfire, have crap for power(more so than stock anyway), or chug gas like my buddies truck your fine.
The lack of muffler and horn would fail in my state, and probably yours as well.
The tint laws in my state allow you to tint the rear windshield all the way to limo tint (5%), and the rear windows, the front windows and windshield can not be tinted, rear windows might also not be legal to tint all the way to 5% can't recall for sure, and technically speaking a coupe can't have the side windows tinted, which is bs...not like anything ever happens in this state, except maybe in philly.
Yeah it does have some crappy power, I could barley make it up a small hill without riding the clutch and it does chug gas pretty bad but the timing wasn't all that bad before I gapped my spark plugs which to me is kinda weird but anyways, the driver side and passenger side windows are tinted but idk what percent they are and the rear windshield it tinted but the the place I took it to get it inspected, my dad is good buddies with and he said he couldn't do it cuz he didn't have the right tool to check it and his shop wasn't lisenced or something like that to inspect cars with after market tint but he told me to go up the road to another shop that can do it but I haven't taking it cuz I don't have a muffler or horn and Isold the muffler I had for it so I guess I'm SOL for right now but thanks for the info on timing, I appreciate it
Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1996 Camaro, 1985 Camaro
Engine: 3.8, 3.4
Transmission: WC T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23(?), 3.42

Sounds like he was giving you a line cause he didn't want to inspect it, but at any rate, best of luck getting it past inspections, you might look into antique/classic plates, though you would still need the muffler or else you might get a ticket.