V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Car will either start and run fine, or start, idle crazy, and then die within a min.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L MPFI V6
Car will either start and run fine, or start, idle crazy, and then die within a min.

I have a 1989 Camaro RS 2.8L. I am having some weird symptoms that I cannot figure out. When I start the car, it will sometimes run fine. I can drive it around for a while and will not have any problems. Other times, it will rev really hard, then almost die, and do this for about thirty seconds to a minute and then die.

The weird thing is that if it dies on me a few times but i keep trying, it will eventually start up and run fine. Conversely, I can start it fine a couple times and then it will have the same problems as I said above. It really seems to be completely random.

I had a engine code in for MAF sensor temp low. I have replaced this. I have checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rails and it is good. I replaced all the sparkplugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor.

I can't come up with any more ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Dub
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Car will either start and run fine, or start, idle crazy, and then die within a m

If it still has the OEM Multec injectors replace them. See South Bay for Bosch replacements.

RBob.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 PM

Re: Car will either start and run fine, or start, idle crazy, and then die within a m

I have thought about the fuel injectors but it didn't seem to me like something like that would be so intermittent. It seems like that would be a more constant issue. There might be more to them than what I know.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI (L98)
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt w/ Torsen LSD

Have you tried unplugging the EGR valve? My dad's 3.1 V6 had this problem and it was the EGR valve opening randomly at idle. When blocked off, the problem disappeared.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Sorry it took so long to respond. I have not tried the EGR valve but I will give that a shot. Thanks for responding.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

quick connect used for a tach? tach signal wires nearly cut through.

lose column?

lose dizzy, moving a hair on its own back n fourth?

[ had all 3 before myself]
Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 PM

Well nothing I did with the EGR valve (disconnect vacuum lines, disconnect the whole valve, unplugging it) would change the problem at all. I tried starting it 5 times, three times it did not work, two times it did. Still seems random.

Gumby, could you elaborate more on your past problems. This is my first car I am working on and do not have much experience and I just am not sure what you are talking about.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the car will only run if the check engine light is in. That is the first way I can tell if it is going to die or not. After I start it, if the light doesn't come in about 3 secs it will always die within the minute.

Last edited by Dub78; 10-30-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dub78
Another thing I forgot to mention is that the car will only run if the check engine light is in. That is the first way I can tell if it is going to die or not. After I start it, if the light doesn't come in about 3 secs it will always die within the minute.
This condition when it runs is most likely because when the ECU knows that something is wrong, it lights up the MIL/SES and "bypasses" the faulty sensor or actuator and runs on "default values". If the MIL/SES is off however, it runs off the (faulty) sensor values or activates an actuator that is faulty and then the engine goes crazy/stalls.

Since the problem is intermittent, it will probably be hard to troubleshoot but the fact that the SES/MIL illuminates and goes off in relation to when the fault appears helps the troubleshooting, the fault definitely has something to do with the code the ECU is throwing when the light is on.

Read codes and post the trouble code you are getting. If you get several codes write all of them down, disconnect negative terminal so the codes are erased, run the car until the SES comes on, turn off immediatly, read codes again and if there is only one code present then, tell us which one it was that came back first. That will really help troubleshooting.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:29 PM

Alright I will give that a try. I am have been trying to get my hands on an OBD1 without buying one but I might just have to invest in one. I couldn't get the paper clip method to work either.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dub78
Alright I will give that a try. I am have been trying to get my hands on an OBD1 without buying one but I might just have to invest in one. I couldn't get the paper clip method to work either.
Okay that's weird about the paperclip read not working.. but i think a cable will be a good investment. I myself have just ordered a ALDL to USB cable, I think it will come in handy and it wasn't that expensive. It will hopefully work on my dad's Oldsmobile too since it also has the ALDL connector.