V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Car cranks but doesn't start

Old 08-30-2015, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car cranks but doesn't start

Hey guys,

Sorry to start a new thread. I searched and read a ton of threads, mostly with different people posting the same question but with little results of what actually fixed the starting issue. If I can fix it, I'll be sure to post what fixed it so I may help others in the future.

I have a 92 Camaro RS, the baby 3.1L V6 with an automatic tranny. Original owner.

The car cranks hard but won't start. I don't believe it's the VATS because the security light comes on only for a brief second when I put the key in the ignition, then it turns off.

I have two sets of original keys. Tried them both, no luck.

About 1 year ago, I had a shop supposedly fix it. They claimed it was the fuel pump and they replaced it. I picked up the car and it started fine. I only drove once, maybe two more times after that. Then the whole cranks hard but won't start crap started all over again. A few days later my health took a turn for the worse and it's taken me this long to recover. Here we are a year later and I'm trying to get it running again. Called the shop that did the fuel pump repair and they won't look at it for free since so much time has passed, even though there's probably only 20 more miles on than when they had it a year ago.

New battery, fresh gas. Where do I go from here?

Any advice or information would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
James
Old 08-30-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: THM 700R4
Re: Car cranks but doesn't start

i would be checking ignition control module, coil, plugs, wires, distributor and rotor, as well as the fuel pressure. check all the grounds and fuses ( in case you have not).