V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Help with my 85 Camaro 2.8L

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with my 85 Camaro 2.8L

Hey guys, i have a 1985 chevy camaro berlinetta. Just a small 2.8L V6. I swapped the engine a few months back ( yes swapped it myself ) . And it ran very great for the first month or two. Then i stored it for the winter. Upon driving it after storage for the winter if the motor is cold, when i first start it up it dies right away. 2nd start, dies right away. 3rd start runs & Idles at a very high Idle. If i immediatly try to drive away it will die when i push the gas pedal. If i let it sit and warm up for a couple of minutes i can hop in and drive away just fine, idle is still high. But if i shut it off. and restart it after its warm. The idle goes down. but not fully down to the normal idle speed it used to. It also goes about 1-3mph without pushing the gas pedal....

I have cleaned the throttle body, changed the TPS sensor ( helped with the idle alot but didn't fully fix my problem ) Dist rotor and cap are new, wires and plugs are new.

I brought it to a shop once for this problem, and they cleaned the throttle body and fixed a vacuum leak, then i had to change my thermostat and after changing the thermostat the damn problem started again.

If anyone has any solutions please let me know.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Firebird
Re: Help with my 85 Camaro 2.8L

Did you add anything to the gas before you stored it?
Modern gas with the 10% ethanol starts breaking down somewhere around 90 days (I don't remember the specifics), but it turns pretty much into varnish and water.
So, chances are your gas is no good.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:04 PM

No. But I've filled it up a few times since then so i doubt that is the problem. Replaced my idle air control valve today as a friend recommended. Seems to be running much better. But this problem is kinda random so im not sure if it fixed it.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:46 PM

Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5

Idling high and driving 3mph on its own, sounds silly but is the throttle stuck and not shutting closed properly. Increase in revs after that simple check can be a vacuum​ leak some where ?
Old 03-26-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Firebird

Originally Posted by Supposedexpert3
No. But I've filled it up a few times since then so i doubt that is the problem. Replaced my idle air control valve today as a friend recommended. Seems to be running much better. But this problem is kinda random so im not sure if it fixed it.

That doesn't mean you don't have water in your gas tank. I'd drain it, and look at the gas, or let it run until it burns all the gas up.

Old gas and new gas don't necessarily mix in your tank.

Before that though. I'd probably change the fuel filter, at least inspect/replace the spark plugs, check the distributor cap/rotor and wires.