V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Quirky 3.1 V6 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quirky 3.1 V6 problems

Hey all, I've been on the site (not a member) for some time, and just recently joined. I have some minor inconveniences with my Firebird. It's a 1992 3.1 Base model Auto, completely stock (as far as I know). Now, when driving the car it has a slight bog/stutter a hair past idle when accelerating lightly (doesn't do it if you mash it) and it only does it sometimes, I have not put a pressure gauge on it (I work at an atv dealership and they're not the same fitting lol) and all the ignition system has been replaced and on time. Is it possible for the outside ring of the balancer to shift and cause an incorrect reading on the timing plate? I've heard 2nd hand from a few old techs that it's a possibility. Another slight inconvenience is fuel economy, it suffers from horrid fuel consumption (about 12-13 city, and 19-20 hwy). If anyone can point me in the right direction on where to go with this it would be much appreciated. Thanks All
Old 07-19-2017, 11:14 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen
Re: Quirky 3.1 V6 problems

injectors
Old 07-20-2017, 09:05 AM

Dirty or bad? Is there any way to test them before buying some?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P

Unclip the wiring harnesses from them and probe the connectors with a multimeter, you want to see them test at around 15 OHMS. I have 3.1 injectors in my car and they tested at 12 Ohms I think but still run fine
Old 07-20-2017, 10:57 PM

Sweet. I'll hook an ohm meter up to it and see how much resistance they have then. Has anyone else heard of the outer ring on a balancer shifting positions and throwing the timing marks off?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen

Just swap em out . Their gonna cause you problems down the road. Pick up some ford injectors f1ze. I got mine off a 3.8 mustang. Better response and acceleration.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Yes your balancer can shift if the rubber is old, you'll be able to see if it's all dry rotted and cracked.

Before throwing parts at it, get a fuel pressure gauge and see what's going on with your fuel system. Does it hold pressure after key off, for how long and how much does it drop? Have you put on a new fuel filter? How long ago (mileage) did you do the plugs/wires? Were they gapped properly and are they the correct plug for your engine? Check engine light on? etc etc etc.
I'm not saying the injectors are good or bad, but don't just throw parts at it because "their gonna cause you problems down the road". Might as well just lease new cars to keep a warranty all the time with that mindset. Be a good tech, do some diagnosis and you'll figure it out.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:06 PM

I did a tune up a couple thousand miles ago (plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, and oil change.) I'm not sure how much pressure the pump is holding I'll have to check, and there is no check engine light. I've put a timing light on it and the mark is almost 45 degrees retarded but that can't be right because it wouldn't run with that much timing pulled out of it. I have a chilton manual and followed the instructions as stated for adjusting timing but I didn't touch anything because I knew something was up for the timing to be that far off.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:28 AM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 l V6
Transmission: Automatic

Originally Posted by Thenewt078
I did a tune up a couple thousand miles ago (plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, and oil change.) I'm not sure how much pressure the pump is holding I'll have to check, and there is no check engine light. I've put a timing light on it and the mark is almost 45 degrees retarded but that can't be right because it wouldn't run with that much timing pulled out of it. I have a chilton manual and followed the instructions as stated for adjusting timing but I didn't touch anything because I knew something was up for the timing to be that far off.
45 degrees retarded, that sounds like you were checking the timing without disconnecting the EST jumper. In the Chilton it will mention a single wire (tan IIRC) that needs to be disconnected when checking or setting the timing. If you already did that, and your fuel pressure & injectors check out, you might want to take a look at setting your timing in the 10-14 degrees BTDC range.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73

The EST connector is a single wire (tan with a black stripe) connector sticking out of the wire harness running above the heater box on the passenger firewall. Unplug it, then start the car and check timing once the engine is warmed up. Stock timing is 10 degrees.