Iron Heads are Done (ported & large valves) - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back  Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > V6
Reload this Page >

Iron Heads are Done (ported & large valves)

V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:01 AM

A while back I bought a set of iron heads that were ported from a friend on facebook. Recently I took them to a local machine shop to have some stainless valves put in them. Intake are Ferrea 1.8" and exhaust are Manley 1.5". These should do well on my turbo setup.
Attached Thumbnails Iron Heads are Done (ported & large valves)-heads1.jpg   Iron Heads are Done (ported & large valves)-heads2.jpg   Iron Heads are Done (ported & large valves)-heads3.jpg   Iron Heads are Done (ported & large valves)-heads4.jpg   Iron Heads are Done (ported & large valves)-heads5.jpg  

Old 10-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Iron Heads are Done (ported & large valves)

Did you have them flow tested?
Old 10-01-2018, 10:31 AM

no unfortunately. they will just have to be good enough.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:35 AM

(flame suit on)
Old 10-01-2018, 12:18 PM

machinist said he had to "cut a lot of the throats out" on the intake side.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra6 View Post
machinist said he had to "cut a lot of the throats out" on the intake side.

Did he mention deshrouding the valves at all. This will help 2 things. Drop comp ratio just a tic which will actually help and allow much better flow and combustion. Sometimes larger valves on these heads will not help because of the turbulance when leaving the valve port so close to the cylinder walls.

I'm happy to see your results though. I ported polished deshrouded the snot out of my iron heads back in the day with some success especially with turbos. I will add that sadly the best ported gen 1 iron heads in the world will not out flow stock gen 3 large port alum. Heads.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Yes he mentioned valve shrouding, and said if we went larger on the exhaust side they would be shrouded. I know about how much better alum heads are, I've been reading your posts for years.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:59 AM
Supreme Member

Yes he mentioned valve shrouding, and said if we went larger on the exhaust side they would be shrouded. I know about how much better alum heads are, I've been reading your posts for years.

Well either way those heads you have should flow really well. Stock iron is horrid. But I'm sure you'll have some good results with what you have going on. A nice 270ish duration @.050 cam with a split will help a ton. What cam size and turbo are you planning to use?

Thanks. I try to make some threads that would help people on here. It's not every day you see a built up 660 or a turboed one at that.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:03 AM

I spent many years supercharging and turbocharging the 3.4 iron heads. I always removed the intake port bump. Although it is needed in the naturally aspirated set up to help bend the air down to the intake valve. I felt it was a big restriction in a boosted application. Since the air is being forced down the throat anyway, there is really no need of it. I also liked to gasket port the heads to really open up as much of that port as possible. Good idea to use a 160 degree thermostat with a fan controller to turn the fan on sooner. Those iron heads are slow to remove heat compared to an aluminum head. The cooler temps will allow you to run more timing without knocking. Good luck with the build.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by fasteddi View Post
Well either way those heads you have should flow really well. Stock iron is horrid. But I'm sure you'll have some good results with what you have going on. A nice 270ish duration @.050 cam with a split will help a ton. What cam size and turbo are you planning to use?

Thanks. I try to make some threads that would help people on here. It's not every day you see a built up 660 or a turboed one at that.
this is John Rothlinger's old turbo kit. it's a t3 or whatever. But I am using my driver's side pacesetter header instead of a factory manifold like him. I have a comp260h cam and 1.6 roller tip rockers.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 3.4 grape View Post
I spent many years supercharging and turbocharging the 3.4 iron heads. I always removed the intake port bump. Although it is needed in the naturally aspirated set up to help bend the air down to the intake valve. I felt it was a big restriction in a boosted application. Since the air is being forced down the throat anyway, there is really no need of it. I also liked to gasket port the heads to really open up as much of that port as possible. Good idea to use a 160 degree thermostat with a fan controller to turn the fan on sooner. Those iron heads are slow to remove heat compared to an aluminum head. The cooler temps will allow you to run more timing without knocking. Good luck with the build.
thanks for the advice. I posted the question about the intake divider on an engine building forum and everyone said that everything that helps an NA engine flow better also helps a boosted engine. I looked through mark's posts to see if he removed it and I couldn't tell. If nothing else it will help my low end torque off boost. now that the heads are all clean and the valves are in i'd hate to start grinding on them again.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:16 AM

I do of course want to make enough power to make all this money and work worth it, but i'm not concerned with breaking records. I just want it to make about as much power as a stock 200k mile 5.3 everyone says I should have put in it.

And I do have a bet with a coworker that it will make 350 rear wheel foot pounds lol.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:46 AM
Supreme Member

this is John Rothlinger's old turbo kit. it's a t3 or whatever. But I am using my driver's side pacesetter header instead of a factory manifold like him. I have a comp260h cam and 1.6 roller tip rockers.

Ahh du I know that. I'm sure with some good tuning you can hit 300hp 350tq crank. Didnt you get the gt3582r t3/4 turbo then? 61mm. That's my fav turbo for a hybrid or iron head 660 v6.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:34 AM

yes it is the gt3582r. Probably was recommended to him by you i'd assume. I have a pretty good tuner who owns a dyno and it's going to be tuned on megasquirt II
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55 AM

I know my car is still a long way from running decent times at the track. I need a locking rear diff and i'm worried about how my transmission will hold up to the power (stock 700r4 rebuilt last in 1995). plus i'll need some sticky tires. I saw someone selling an S10 2800 stall the other day and i'm tempted to get it but idk how it would do on the street?
Old 10-10-2018, 04:48 AM
Supreme Member

I know my car is still a long way from running decent times at the track. I need a locking rear diff and i'm worried about how my transmission will hold up to the power (stock 700r4 rebuilt last in 1995). plus i'll need some sticky tires. I saw someone selling an S10 2800 stall the other day and i'm tempted to get it but idk how it would do on the street?
yea I reccomended the gt35 to John. Its an perfect size and you'll love it.

Here is what I would do with the whole converter deal. Buy this exact one. Its what I ran for years and ended up selling to John. It's a great street converter and will work much much better. It's under a 2.8l v6 s10 but same as what we have. I actually ran a best of a [email protected] with thos converter and a somewhat stock 700r4. 3.1/3100 turbo hybrid. With your hp expectations it will stall at about 2800-3000 max which is about perfect on the streets and with the turbo cam package you have.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...02-P?searchTer

As for the trans it will hold up quite well long as the tv cable is adjusted well and you make damn sure to never let the torque converter lock up or let it go into overdrive while under boost. There is set points in the $59 mask for this so I'm sure there is in ms as well for the tcc lock up

I used $59 mask and a 7730 stock ecm to tune so I'm no help when it comes to mega squirt.

If you feel up to playing with the transmission there is a few things to help it survive the long haul. Such as a new boost and intermediate valve, and a vette servo. Make the line pressure much higher, eliminates flares between shifts and overall just shifts better. Also a spring kit which will not allow 4th gear shifts under wot.this stuff is really cheap. Mabey 75 bucks total?
Old 10-10-2018, 08:07 AM

Awesome, thanks! I really have no idea what driving a stalled auto is like. But I hear it makes it more fun.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:44 AM

I just read this.

"Whenever you install a higher stall converter, be sure you use some sort of an external tranny cooler. When you are "stalling out" your converter, such as being at the line at the drag strip ready to launch, they build up a LOT of heat from hydraulic friction. "

what do you think about adding a transmission fluid cooler?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

I just read this.

"Whenever you install a higher stall converter, be sure you use some sort of an external tranny cooler. When you are "stalling out" your converter, such as being at the line at the drag strip ready to launch, they build up a LOT of heat from hydraulic friction. "

what do you think about adding a transmission fluid cooler?

I always recommend adding a cooler even just a small one. I have always ran one but I also raced the snot out of the car.

any small air to air cooler off summit or something would work great. Keep in mind flash stall is based off of tq. So that's why i say itll stall from 2800-3000. My guess iron heads... when I was running [email protected] delta 260 cam gt 3582r turbo 15 psi. Ported the snot ot of the heads... it was flashing at 3100 rpm at the launch on the data logs but driving it arround town gently you really didnt notice the larger converter stall.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:26 PM

I imagine since my car being a firebird is a 100% bottom feeder, a transmission fluid cooler would be competing for surface area with the radiator, AC, and intercooler. I wonder where I could mount it. I'm not running AC at the moment but I want to leave the option open
Old 10-10-2018, 02:38 PM

also, can you tell me what your best 1/8 mile ET and MPHs were with iron heads? we don't have quarter mile tracks around here unfortunately.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:39 AM
Supreme Member

also, can you tell me what your best 1/8 mile ET and MPHs were with iron heads? we don't have quarter mile tracks around here unfortunately.

My best eighth mile with iron was right arround 8.30s. Which isnt too bad but when I had the hydrid in its hay day it ran 7.40s

I stacked the radiator then intercooler and tossed the trans cooler in the area not taken up by the intercooler. Dependent on your ic size exc you should have plenty of room to toss a trans cooler in there.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:50 AM

My best eighth mile with iron was right arround 8.30s. Which isnt too bad but when I had the hydrid in its hay day it ran 7.40s

I stacked the radiator then intercooler and tossed the trans cooler in the area not taken up by the intercooler. Dependent on your ic size exc you should have plenty of room to toss a trans cooler in there.
8.30s at what MPH?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:13 AM

and did you ever work on your old intake manifold any? (for the iron heads)? I know there's not much you can do and they are very restrictive but still. I have done a good gasket match on mine.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:56 AM
Supreme Member

and did you ever work on your old intake manifold any? (for the iron heads)? I know there's not much you can do and they are very restrictive but still. I have done a good gasket match on mine.

I gasket matched them really well also knifed the throttle body. I did about anything possible to open up the air flow and help it.

added a few pics I'm spt 191
a 8.19 at 83.5mph 1/8 mile. High 12 sec pass. 15psi delta 260 cam stock trans and rear minis that high stall converter.

Last edited by fasteddi; 10-12-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:54 AM

nice! one more question: when you ported your heads did you A: leave the intake port divider alone, B: fin it. or c: remove it completely? If B or C, have any pics?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

nice! one more question: when you ported your heads did you A: leave the intake port divider alone, B: fin it. or c: remove it completely? If B or C, have any pics?

Hard to find old pics but I got these puppy's off my facebook page.

So we've got the hogged out heads intakes and tb. Also I ran alky injection only when i made the 12 second passes. So the motor pic is with no ic... just meth/alky injection.

Best thing on our heads imo.... the guide area, pocket port them or really hog them out but the guide in there does help flow. I basically ran a 3/8 carbide bit right up the sides of the vane. Seemed to work great for me.... Also hog out the exhaust port. Polish up the exhaust side as well.

I would def keep the guide, just narrow it down alot and smooth it but leave a clear vane in there to keep flow moving along under control.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:59 PM

i'm trying to add a pic of the exhaust work he did on the heads but it won't let me "browse my computer" for the attachments. But he did. And you didn't show your fins in the pics

so my question now is, should I work on them further than how they are in my first post?
Old 10-12-2018, 04:42 PM

here they are
Old 10-12-2018, 04:46 PM

well nevermind it wont upload from my phone either
Old 10-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

i'm trying to add a pic of the exhaust work he did on the heads but it won't let me "browse my computer" for the attachments. But he did. And you didn't show your fins in the pics

so my question now is, should I work on them further than how they are in my first post?

2nd pic down to can see the fins..

post up some pics of yours if you can
Old 10-13-2018, 08:41 AM

2nd pic down to can see the fins..

post up some pics of yours if you can
um... no sir you can't? lol. unless we're talking about different things. the only pic that shows your intake ports is not a good angle to see your fins.