V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Water/coolant in oil.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen
Water/coolant in oil.

So I picked up a 3.4 sight unseen for my swap. Guy gave me his word that all was good. I checked oil ( dipstick ) and it seemed good just dark. So I power washed it. But yesterday I drained the oil and some water came out not much. Then then the oil started coming out dark looking normal just dirty. I removed the pan and there was some milky residue at the bottom. The motor was sitting for a while guy said. Should this be expected from a motor thats been sitting? Or did he screw me. Gas smelled really old from the fuel rail. Also I'm sure some water got in while I was washing. All plugs looked good. Coolant ports look a lil rusty orange colored. I'm fearing the worst. Motor turns smoothly. Filter had dark normal looking oil.

Last edited by maroe624; 10-05-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Water/coolant in oil.

If it was sitting, you could have condensation in it. If there was actual amounts of water coming out, that would raise a flag. You said you washed it, so you may have sprayed the water in it too, I don't know how well it was covered up/sealed up. Are you going to tear it apart or drop it in as is?
FWIW, I would never take someone's word on the condition of an engine or anything like that if you don't know them. You have no idea who that person is, could be the most honest person in the world, could be the dude looking to make a quick buck off someone and has no morals, or anywhere in between. If there's any question, pull it apart, especially with it likely having high mileage. It would be good insurance to do a new oil pump, check bearings, cylinder walls, etc.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by drdave88
If it was sitting, you could have condensation in it. If there was actual amounts of water coming out, that would raise a flag. You said you washed it, so you may have sprayed the water in it too, I don't know how well it was covered up/sealed up. Are you going to tear it apart or drop it in as is?
FWIW, I would never take someone's word on the condition of an engine or anything like that if you don't know them. You have no idea who that person is, could be the most honest person in the world, could be the dude looking to make a quick buck off someone and has no morals, or anywhere in between. If there's any question, pull it apart, especially with it likely having high mileage. It would be good insurance to do a new oil pump, check bearings, cylinder walls, etc.
I know, cant trust anyone these days. I wanna drop it in as is. Guy "seemed" like an honest cat. Said it had about 150xxx miles and sat for a while. I could tell some water got to it as when I was removing the injectors some of them were rusty... So when I got it home first thing I did was check dipstick and it looked good just dark. Next I looked under the oil filler cap and it looked great smelled like oil. Turned it over and rotated smoothly with plugs out. I checked all spark plugs and they looked normal. When I was moving it to get in on a tire ( didn't have a hoist yet) I tipped it over on accident and most of the oil came out. Looked good just dark. I had removed the intake so yeah most oil poured out and looked good just dark. And the coolant also poured out. It was brownish orange colored. I removed the valve covers and again looked great real clean smelled like mobil 1 lol. So I then finally got my hoist and a stand and got it situated. Has been sitting for like a month maybe two. So few days ago I go to remove the oil drain plug and some dark sludge came out followed by a bit of dark water what i belive it to be. I removed the pan and there was some thick milkshake at the bottom. So that's what has me worried. You say check the cylinder walls from the bottom ? Ok I'm gonna turn it upside down on my stand and inspect it. I was gonna remove the main caps and inspect bearings. What should I look for ? RUST?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:47 PM

Lesson learned. I "scored" big time. Can't stand people who pull these types of scams. Called the guy just now and he tried to play dumb like he didn't know or who knows maybe he didn't know. Said he would refund me the cash in a few days well see. He gave me his word when he sold it to me but I guess it's my fault I should have known better. I'm guessing it's scrap now. . No more 3.4 swap. My 3.1 is in great shape except for my exhaust manifolds being welded to the head by some idiot ( me ). I'm rebuilding my trans and was hoping to swap the 3.4 in as well but all bets are off now. Now my plans are to swap the heads on my 3.1 so I can install my headers. Do you think I can use the 3.4 heads on my 3.1 without doing much work to them. I know I would have to have them resurfaced for sure and new head bolts.

Last edited by maroe624; 10-09-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:27 AM
Supreme Member

Bummer on the 3.4. I assume you don't want to go through having the block/crank checked? It may not cost that much, but definitely won't be drop in. As far as the 3.4 heads, they're identical to your 3.1 heads so they'll bolt right on.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:49 PM

Bummer on the 3.4. I assume you don't want to go through having the block/crank checked? It may not cost that much, but definitely won't be drop in. As far as the 3.4 heads, they're identical to your 3.1 heads so they'll bolt right on.

If I swap the 3.4 heads over do I use the 3.1 pushrods and lifters or do I swap over the 3.4 pushrods and lifters? I have to keep them in order right? Dam this sucks. Gotta have em checked for cracks and replace stem seals and springs. Anyone have a good 3.4 long block for sale in los angeles area.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

Lifters should match the cam they came with (did you mean rocker arms?). Push rods should be identical length between 3.1 and 3.4.