Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

Wheel Identification/centers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Wheel Identification/centers?

Hello All, I have these wheels that I got off a guy that had them on an 89 Camaro RS. I am not sure if these are actual Camaro wheels or if they are Trans Am Wheels. I am planning on cleaning them up and painting them to make them look good again, but I am not sure what I should be looking for as far as Centers. Does anyone else have this style rim and could post a pic of what their centers look like?

Wheel Identification/centers?-camaro-wheel.jpg

Thank you,
Jim
Old 07-24-2018, 06:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Wheel Identification/centers?

Firebird

Old 07-24-2018, 11:46 PM

Thank you, I had a feeling they weren’t actual Camaro rims... I’ll have to see what I can come up with for centers...

thank you agein
Old 07-25-2018, 08:15 AM
Supreme Member

There are a ton of caps that were used on Pontiacs with different logos. Should be able to find generic replacements on ebay with generic logos, or buy caps without emblems and come up with your own insert. Might even find Camaro logos that can be adapted to the caps, or caps that already have Camaro logos. LOL

The GTA wheels that are popular on everything use the same style cap, so lots of options.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:33 PM

Thank you again for your help... I guess I have one more question and I hope it's not a dumb one, but do these wheels have a certain name for them that I should use when looking up the caps or should I just do a search for caps with the measurements that fit the holes... Lol I'm sorry I don't know how else to explain what I'm thinking and wheels have never been something I've dealt much with. The car currently has 16" Iroc rims which are gold with the Iroc-z centers... Look great but if I was to keep them I would want to paint them so the car doand ant have to match the wheel color and I'd also need to order new centers that aren't Iroc since it's an rs... Oh the decisions lol,

thank you again
Old 07-25-2018, 10:14 PM
Supreme Member

Well.... Kinda... GM gave them the RPO code N90. Trouble is that GM used N90 on the Camaro for the 15" Z28 wheel. And I'd imagine the 15x7 SS wheel on the Monte Carlo was probably an N90 too. The usual way to describe thirdgen wheels is to mention a specific model they were used on, but the diamond spoke 15x7 wheels were used on the Firebird SE in the mid 80s, and they were an optional wheel on the Trans Am, and in mid-late 91 & 92 they painted the centers gold and used them on the base Firebird. So I'd call them a diamond spoke 15" wheel.

All of the Pontiac caps that look like the ones in the pic are pretty much the same base cap, only the emblems were different. Later Formulas had them painted Silver, some other Pontiacs had them in chrome. The GNX used a version of the 16" GTA wheel that used the same cap, so they're out there with the turbo buick emblem too.

Classic Industries sells emblems for the GTA caps with the Camaro logo, or Z28, or Irocz, so you can get caps that will match just about anything.

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...k151766bk.html

Old 07-26-2018, 07:39 PM

That's perfect, thank you fo all that information. I love it when someone can answer with a detailed description like that, helps me understand things so much more and I really appreciate that. I will be checking out the classic industries, actually just got their catalog in the mail today. I think these wheels could be cleaned up and made to look great on the Car so I'm looking forward to it. Right now the guy who had it before me had the 16" Iroc wheels has 3 different size tires on it lol.

I just had had a nice looking set of chrome wheels that were on a 2000 firebird they ssaid (with matching tires lol) so I will be looking into these to see if they will fit on the 92 RS whic H I would think they would but I'm going o look into it more. You probably already know that answer but I hate to keep asking you and being a pain without doing any research first.

he has 2 rear as 255/50-16 and the 2 front as 245/50-16.

thank you again for everything
Old 07-26-2018, 10:03 PM

Ok so after some reading I think what I have learned is that I would need 2" wheel spacers in order for them to work. I like the look of the wheels but I don't know if I want to buy spacers or not. Wheel Identification/centers?-00-firebird.png

Or do I stick with the Iroc Wheels that are on there and paint them and get new tires for them, but idk how well they will paint but I am sure I can find centers easy for them through classic industries.

Or do I clean up and paint the ones from the original picture and buy centers for them?

Lol I have put myself in a corner with far too many options at this point and am sure that I will be racking my brain for the next couple days deciding.

If you know if the info I read about needing the 2" spacers is correct please let me know, That might help a little in my narrowing things down lol. Also I am thinking of either painting the 92 RS either a Black Cherry or Deep Dark Purple Color of some sort, out of curiosity what would or opinion of choices be (on the wheels, lol, not the car color)?

Thank you again,
Jim
Old 07-26-2018, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah 4th gen and C4-up corvette wheels need spacers. You can swap the rear axle assembly for one from a 4th gen, then you wouldn't need spacers on the back, but you'd still have to have a bolt on spacer on the fronts. Go with what you like, and make it work. Can't go wrong if it looks good and you like it. Probably best to plan on buying new tires. Most of the time used tires are going to be running on borrowed time already.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:06 PM

Good point on getting new tires. I think that I am going to stick with the wheels that I have and now that I have been looking at the link you gave me to the centers, I think I am going to go with the ones in my original post. I think they will look good especially with centers saying Camaro. Also, if I can get them painted nice, will hopefully be something that I can use as a conversation piece and be proud of.

I'll post a couple pictures when I get them painted.

Thank you again, you have been a huge help.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:03 PM

This is what I ended up trying with one of the rims that I have. Its actually more of a flat black but looks glossy in the picture. I am debating if I want to clear coat it or leave it as is and then keep some of the pain on hand for touch ups lol. I am thinking about getting the chrome centers with the Camaro lettering in the center along with Chrome lug nuts and valve stem. I think that might set it off a little bit. Curious what you think. …

Thank you,
Jim