DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

AFRTuner v1.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
AFRTuner v1.0

Well - here it is. Freeware. Download it. Use it. Trash it. Do whatever you want with it.

The program was designed for a minimum of 800 x 600. Those of you guys with 640 x 480 may have a problem with it. The program was designed on WinXP and works on WinXP. I haven't tested it on any other platform because everything I own is WinXP. If it works on other operating systems please post so that others will know.

1. This program only works with $8D and $6E binary files (i.e. binary files from 1989-1992 TPI applications). It will not work with $32 and $32B binary files from 1986-1988 TPI applications.
2. This program can do 2 things...
A) Allows you to adjust Target AFRs via adjusting the actual Target AFR. This will in turn make changes to your "PE %Change to AFR vs. Coolant" or "PE %Change to AFR vs. RPM" tables.
B) Allows you to insert and remove Mike Davis' Wideband hacs.
You do not have to insert the Wideband hac in order to use the AFR grid. The AFR grid is completely independent of Mike Davis' Wideband hac (and the wideband hacs are completely independent of the AFR grid). You can use whatever you want ... or you can use both ... it makes no difference. Both functions were put into this program in order to simplify WOT dyno tuning.
3. It is recommended that you ONLY use the Wideband hac insertion and removal with the following BCCs: AUJP, AXXC, ARAP, and APYP. This is because Mike Davis has made these changes for ONLY these BCCs. PLEASE do not use any other Base Images if you intend to use this feature. The AFR grid should work with all $8D and $6E BCCs.

Basically what you want to do is to ignore the actual values in the Target AFR grid and to adjust them according to what you need. For example, if you are 1.5 AFR points RICH across the board then simply adjust the AFR UP by 1.5 points using the coolant modifier (to lean it out). If you are 1.0 AFR points lean at 4400rpms then adjust that grid cell DOWN by 1.0 AFR points using the RPM modifier (to richen it up). REMEMBER - these are target AFRs that will not match the REAL AFR as shown on a wideband. HOWEVER, the overall trend WILL be the same. PLEASE do not put in the AFRs that you want to achieve!! The ECM has no idea as to how to obtain the AFRs that you want. This program is only meant to simplify tuning the PE Coolant and PE RPM tables by adjusting those values via changing an AFR number. Take a look at the REAL data from logged wideband data and then adjust each AFR in the Grid according to how much you need to change the AFR.

I have verified this on my IROC running AUJP. In fact, I used it to run my 11.6@117mph. I did a WOT blast on a side street and recorded data using Mike Davis' Wideband hac. The data showed that I was running about 11.2 AFR across most of the RPM band. I adjusted the entire RPM range using the coolant modifier and I adjusted it by 1.5 AFR points upward in order to lean it out. I then did an immediate WOT run using this new BIN and the AFR was ~12.7. It works. This is just one example. I have done this many times at this point.

Enjoy. Under the help menu uption there is full directions. This program has been proven for AUJP. I won't make that claim for any of the other BCCs that should work with this program.

The zip file is up on Craig Moates' site under Miscellaneous Uploads. Make sure to read the readme.txt file.

http://www.moates.net/fileman/

Tim

Last edited by TRAXION; 06-13-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:28 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Thanks Tim!! I was hopeing that you would change you mind!!

Old 01-13-2004, 03:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
Execution fails on WinXP SP1 with

Run-time error '339':
Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Are you using ATL or COM controls that need to be there that I don't have?
Old 01-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Mangus

Run-time error '339':
Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Yeeup. comdlg is the common dialog. I use it to get the standard 'open/save' dialog boxes. Weird. I don't have the problem on my other XP machine that doesn't have VB installed. I don't want to create a setup package ... I guess I could just supply the comdlg32.ocx file with instructions for how to register it using regsvr32. What do you think? I guess if it was in .NET it would have been easier to distribute but I'm not about to convert it.

Tim
Old 01-13-2004, 03:59 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by Mangus

Run-time error '339':

BTW - if anyone else runs into this, you can download comdlg32.ocx from the internet (do a search), copy it to your system32 folder then run:
Regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\comdlg32.ocx

To register it. Gotta love VB. :-D
Old 01-13-2004, 04:02 PM
TGO Supporter

no, .NET is a bad idea for those NOT running XP. you don't want them to have to install the .NET runtime. =(

I posted the solution above. I'd include the .ocx in the zip with a quick explination of how to register it. some people may already have the .ocx installed from other apps, though.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

Done. I have added both COMDLG32.OCX as well as a README.TXT file that goes over the program and installation. Thanks for the feedback Mark!

Tim
Old 01-13-2004, 06:34 PM

Thanks Tim!!

Funny just this past weekend I installed a old 20gig into my main rig. I saw a folder AFR. created in nov 23, 2000. I'm glad you posted it back up for everyone.

Dennis
Old 01-13-2004, 07:01 PM

Car: 69 Camaro
Engine: 355 SBC
Transmission: Glide
Axle/Gears: 4.88 full spool
Tim,

I ran the program on my windows ME-sorry excuse for an operating system- machine and it ran perfectly. That is a realy cool tool. I would like to say thank you for your generosity and all of your hard work.

Thanks again,

ED
Old 01-13-2004, 07:26 PM

Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 404ci LS2
Transmission: 700R4 Full Manual Reverse
Axle/Gears: 3.91 Australian 9 Bolt
Well it works on Win 98 with no problems and again thanks Tim. I am very impressed with its functionality and ease of use. Works well with Tunerpro and Autoprom also.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:39 PM
TGO Supporter

Location: Avatar: My 34' 1989 Scarab III w/ twin 454's (502's Started!)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Engine: Twin 454's
Axle/Gears: Twin Mercruiser Bravo I's
Thanks Tim. Your contributions never cease to amaze me.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks for all the props guys!
Thanks for the info on the various operating systems!

Whenever somebody gets around to testing it with a Wideband please post your results ... especially you $6E guys!

I also wanted to say that I included Mike Davis' wideband hacs with his permission. I didn't just slap them into the program. All 4 of his hacs are in the program. AFRTuner will recognize which BIN you have loaded and apply the correct WB patch. The success message which appears after you insert or remove the hac will tell you the WB Hac BCC used for insertion or removal. I tested all 4 BCCs in my program and verified that everything inserts properly and removes properly via using a full binary compare. Each BCC was checked in triplicate. Furthermore, for you old WinBin users where the CSum wasn't calculated ... I, of course, always recalculate the CSum. No need to worry about that.

Tim
Old 01-14-2004, 07:17 AM
Supreme Member

Car: GTA -89
Engine: Blown 415"
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt
Looks great! thx Traxion!:hail:

Cant wait until my 406 is installed and the snow is gone so I can start using it!

/N.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Supreme Member

I just want to re-emphasize something since I already got an e-mail about it ...

This program is basically useless without a wideband. Please keep this in mind! The numbers in the table mean NOTHING with regard to themselves. They are just target AFRs that the ECM is trying to achieve. HOWEVER, the ECM will not achieve these AFRs because there is no feedback for it to determine whether it is hitting those ratios. For all potential purposes, the numbers are just theoretical numbers. That's it. Now, with that said, the overall TREND of this table is accurate in that if you change a given value by 1.0 AFR points then the wideband will register about a 1.0 AFR point change. THAT is how this program is used. If you go to the dyno and use their wideband and their wideband shows that you have a 10.0 AFR at 4400rpms then you can use AFRTuner to increase the AFR at 4400rpms by 2.5 points. Absolutely ignore the values in the table ... just pay attention to what differences you want to implement!.

Another thing I want to mention is that, again, you do not have to use the wideband hacs. They are just in there for simplicity in case you want to do some WOT tuning on the highway with your own wideband. You do not have to use them. You could just as easily go to your local dyno, use their wideband, and simply use the PE AFR table of this program via paying attention to whatever their wideband spits out on their computer screen.

Tim
Old 01-14-2004, 08:31 AM

Car: 1982 CAMARO;
Engine: 1985 LB9;
Transmission: T-5/
ok I Am going to buy Innovate motorsport LM1 WB02 Monitor. So say I was Driving down the road at 4400rpm like you stated eairler and the LM1 said that it was 10.0 No matter what the value in the GRID says i can just increase it by 2.5 points. Because I would be running a WB monitor instead of a WB Controller I wouldn't need the WB Hack Inserted correct.

Sorry If this is a dumb Question Just Trying to Get a Firm Grasp On Things around Here.

Last edited by MTPFI-MAF; 01-14-2004 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by MTPFI-MAF
ok I Am going to buy Innovate motorsport LM1 WB02 Monitor. So say I was Driving down the road at 4400rpm like you stated eairler and the LM1 said that it was 10.0 No matter what the value in the GRID says i can just increase it by 2.5 points. Because I would be running a WB monitor instead of a WB Controller I wouldn't nee the WB Hack Inserted correct.

Sorry If this is a dumb Question Just Trying to Get a Firm Grasp On Things around Here.
That is absolutely correct. You can ignore the WB HAC section of this program and just use the AFR section. The only suggestion that I would make is to start in SMALL steps. If you are 10.0:1 then try changing it to 11.0:1 first (by raising a praticular grid cell by 1.0 points). Make sure that the trend works for your setup. Remember, the key is to give the car what it wants. That may or may not be 12.x:1.

Tim
Old 01-14-2004, 08:46 AM

OMG after about 6 hours a day for a month, reading every post in DIY PROM I finally SOMETHING FINALLY MAKES SINCE.

Thanks TRAXION You are A supreme Being
Old 01-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

Very nice! I have windows 98se and it seems to work fine. I'll have the wideband hooked up soon. Now I feel like I owe you something,that was a nice gift.....

I have a few dumb questions. You stated that when you change a certain %, it should be the same % change with the wideband, right? Is there any way to correct the target a/f ratio numbers to reflect the actual a/f ratio,maybe using the ve table?

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
Old 01-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 11sORbust
You stated that when you change a certain %, it should be the same % change with the wideband, right? Is there any way to correct the target a/f ratio numbers to reflect the actual a/f ratio,maybe using the ve table?
Not %. AFR points. If you change a grid entry by 1.0 AFR points then the wideband will respond with about the same change. It's not exact. There's too much error. But - in my experience it is really close and works much much much better than guessing at how to change percentages in the normal PE % tables.

Yes, you CAN get the AFRs calculated in AFRTuner to fall in line with the actual AFR as shown on a wideband. You got it right when you suggested using the VE Table to accomplish this It's tedious work but CAN be done. Just make sure that you disabled the use of lean BLMs and disabled the possible use of Open Loop AFRs. I documented these in the Super AUJP thread and disabled them in the S_AUJP binary.

Tim
Old 01-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by MTPFI-MAF
OMG after about 6 hours a day for a month, reading every post in DIY PROM I finally SOMETHING FINALLY MAKES SINCE.

Thanks TRAXION You are A supreme Being
It all comes in time and it sounds like your time has come! 'Supreme Being'?! OMGosh no! The only reason I did this was because I was motivated through frustration. I am sure that many of you will eventually do the same. You get frustrated with something and then find a better way. I hated using the percentages for modifying Power Enrichment. After looking through the hac I noticed that there was a way to calculate the actual AFR using these tables. I tried it and it worked. I eventually got a wideband O2 and THAT is when this program really began to shine.

Tim
Old 01-14-2004, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!
THANK YOU Trax !!!!

Update:

VEMaster worked GREAT by the way! I still have a little bit of open loop idle surge though. In a couple of weeks or so, I will actually have a free Saturday. What this means is I'll finally have time to dyno my car! I'll make one pass on the dyno w/ WBo2 and use your program to tune WOT fuel according to the results. I'll post before and after HP / TQ numbers before and after the program has work it's magic.

By the way, my laptop has win2k on it, so I'll let you know how well the program works on win2k.

Still shooting for 350 RWHP!

Mike
Old 01-14-2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by TRAXION
It all comes in time and it sounds like your time has come! 'Supreme Being'?! OMGosh no! The only reason I did this was because I was motivated through frustration. I am sure that many of you will eventually do the same. You get frustrated with something and then find a better way. I hated using the percentages for modifying Power Enrichment. After looking through the hac I noticed that there was a way to calculate the actual AFR using these tables. I tried it and it worked. I eventually got a wideband O2 and THAT is when this program really began to shine.

Tim
More and more of it is starting to make since, a little bit here than a little bit more there, I have had better luck by associating The tunning with What it's Counterpart would be on a Carb or a carbed engine And it is helping me relate better since I have been Carberated engines since I was 15. LoL I just made My self laugh because I just made it sound like im 60 years old when I am only 26. But when you are lying under your car with a T-5 on your chest you fell 60 HA.

Any ways if you know of any posts that would help me relate to the termonolgy and their purpose and effects would be great.

like I now know what All of the abberations stand for just not all of their functions and Purpose.

Like I have read every post in this forum back to a Year ago and still don't understand BLM's I know that it stands for Block Learn Multiplier but not What it does.

Sorry to Hyjack Post

Last edited by MTPFI-MAF; 01-14-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
for whatever it's worth, i have used afrtuner in conjuction with a wbo2 to help tune in my 100kpa VE values.

I set the WOT AFR to be exactly 12.0:1 (rich yes i know) using afrtuner. datalogged a pass. let's say I actually measured (with wbo2) as 12.5:1 at 4800rpm. well then I knew I was about 4% lean at that VE cell, etc.; and corrected the 100kpa VE cells. from about 2800 rpm up. It took two or three passes to get it down right, I found the single biggest impact was that ANY knock retard what so ever would screw up the results... but after correcting the VE table (and dropping a degree or two of timing here and there), the 100kpa VE cells are correct to the point that the calculated AFR's in AFRtuner match (close enough) to "real world".

just my experience with it, works for me! tim's notes about the lean BLM's and open loop afr are valid and should be noted as well.

thanks for the program tim.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: GTA -89
Engine: Blown 415"
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt
Is there any drawbacks using the WB bin all the time?

/N.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Originally posted by gta324

/N.
None I know of, I ran it for over a month but with no WB sensor connected. The way Mike did it was very efficient, I believe he used an existing A/D input conversion loop rather than adding a new one, so no additional calculations being done.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

screen shot
Attached Thumbnails AFRTuner v1.0-afrtunerl.jpg  
Old 01-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Supreme Member

I wanted to post what my BIN looks like through AFRTuner also. You are going to see a huge difference right away. I set ALL coolant temps to the same AFR. Technically speaking - All of my PE Coolant modifiers have been set to the same value. My PE AFR does NOT change based on coolant temperature. I did this for simplicity. First off - I never go to WOT unless my car is fully warmed up. So, it doesn't really matter. I also did it to ensure that the ECM doesn't change the AFR based on coolant temperature. Why? Because this can be another variable when tuning your car. Imagine taking a run on the dyno at ~180 degrees and then letting your car sit long enough for it to seriously cool down enough to hit somewhere below 130 degrees. The stock AUJP uses the same coolant modifier for 56d and 80d C but when you jump down to 32d C the modifier increases to yield a lower (richer) target AFR. I've eliminated the chance of this happening in my bin.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails AFRTuner v1.0-untitled.jpg  
Old 01-15-2004, 06:05 PM

How does the Fuel enrichment for cold start come into play. Does it use the AFR based on Temps. Reason I am asking is right now I have the 9th injector and will be upgrading to a H.S.R and it dosen't have provisions or the 9th injector So I will Need a way to add more fuel for Cold Start I Think. I am still very new to this but after reading every post in this forum back a year, I think I need to start asking questions. Just don't want to sound dumb

Also with the innovative motorsports Lm1 This is a monitor/logger only. So it isn't possiable to have the ecm Use the LM1 WB02. so I would just weld the sensor Boss the exhaust pipe and install it there correct or not
Old 01-15-2004, 07:18 PM

Thank you Tim, now if I can get the car back together I can go tune.
It’s running on my windows 98 desktop and laptop.

Also a big thanks for adding Mike Davis Wideband hacs, I was getting ready to copy all my setting over to his AXXC bin and now I do not have to do that.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by gta324

/N.
One drawback is that the Check Engine light (SES Light) stays lit all the time. This is not an error. It's just what his hacs do. I think that is a small drawback because then if you have a real problem the check engine light cannot function normally because it is constantly lit with his hac in place.

Tim
Old 01-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Z28
Just thought I'd refer back to a topic I posted a while ago:

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=212587

I have not used the WB bin mentioned above, so have not had any experience with the CE light always on, but the code changes i describe above in that link (after correcting the checksum) do not result in a CE light. I left it in the ecm for several months with no ill effects at all, other than a "0" in the FP voltage in the ALDL data stream (I used the FP volts to report the raw 0-255 data from the AD in the ECM).

one of these days i'll see about posting a working stock AUJP with my changes in it.

I should note that i used mike davis' work partically - specifically the hook to grab the factory code, run some other code, and return; so the credit is mostly his. I just used his idea and modified it to work the way I wanted it to. which really isn't necessary, per se; it's just what i wanted!
Old 01-18-2004, 01:31 PM

I can se in my corvette bin file that the commanded AFR is as low as 10.99 @ 4400 rpm. There must be some major power to get right there, that must be way rich..

Last edited by devilfish; 01-18-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by devilfish
I can se in my corvette bin file that the commanded AFR is as low as 10.99 @ 4400 rpm. There must be some major power to get right there, that must be way rich..
Don't assume that. Commanded AFR has absolutely nothing to do with the true AFR. You won't really know until you get some WOT data.

Tim
Old 01-18-2004, 02:04 PM

Don't assume that. Commanded AFR has absolutely nothing to do with the true AFR. You won't really know until you get some WOT data.

Tim
Im a bit confused. So the commanded AFR is what the ECU should be "under optimal VE conditions" ?

This is copyed from forum member 32V_DOHC, Im using his method for tuning WOT, I thougt I understod this...
( just a exampel )

You will set the commanded af ratio to 11.5 by using the PE adders. Then you watch the wideband. You will add or subract from the VE table to make the actual af ratio measure by the wide band match the commanded ratio of 11.5. By doing this you have found the actual VE. You know that if your injector constant matches the actuall fuel flow of the injectors and the measured a/f ratio matches the commanded af ratio then the amount of airflow calculated is the actual airflow. After doing this when you change the commanded af ratio using the PE adders then the measured af ratio should closely track that. (if you change to a commanded 12.0 then the wide band should read 12.0 without any ajustment to the VE table.)

If this is correct then my vette should se a 10.99 AFR if the VE tabels is 100% hmm..
Old 01-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

That is correct. If the wideband matches the commanded AFR then the VE Tables are on the money. Most often - the wideband will NOT match the commanded AFR. Given that this post is about AFRTuner ... I wanted to make absolutely clear again that the target AFR is NOT the real AFR. The target AFR could be 11.0:1 but the real AFR could be 13.0:1. This is ESPECIALLY true with modded MAF setups since the MAF will max out and then the PE tables will not only have to supply PE fuel but also the fuel necessary to reachieve 14.7:1. For SD setups it most often means that the VE tables are off.

Tim
Old 01-18-2004, 02:45 PM

ahh thanks for that. I thought I hade understand all this wrong , again....
So reason for the very rich settings in my stock vette bins is to be on the safe side?
Old 01-19-2004, 12:50 AM
TGO Supporter

just tried to run it on my win. 98 machine and got following:

error in frmmain.mnu.afr's_click
error # 339
error disc. component 'msflxgrd.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file missing or invalid.
error source: afr tuner.

Anyone know how to fix that?
Old 01-19-2004, 02:21 AM
Supreme Member

Werd to the Big Bird!!!

Works on my WIN2000 SP4 box.

:hail: :hail: :rockon: :hail: :hail:
Old 01-19-2004, 03:16 AM

Car: 1987 Monte Carlo SS
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 7.625 10 bolt/3.73s
Msflxgrd.ocx
Put this file in:
Win98: c:\windows\system
WinXP: c:\windows\system32
Then under run type:
Win98: Regsvr32 c:\windows\system\msflxgrd.ocx
WinXP: Regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msflxgrd.ocx
That should do it, my XP machine had that error but my 98 rig was fine. Awesome prog, can't wait to get my car on my WB when the weather turns around. BTW, just in theroy, will $6e car's calculated AFR closely reflect actual AFR assuming injector constant is correct?
Old 01-19-2004, 10:02 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by PLANT PROTECTION
Msflxgrd.ocx
Put this file in:
Win98: c:\windows\system
WinXP: c:\windows\system32
Then under run type:
Win98: Regsvr32 c:\windows\system\msflxgrd.ocx
WinXP: Regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msflxgrd.ocx
That should do it, my XP machine had that error but my 98 rig was fine. Awesome prog, can't wait to get my car on my WB when the weather turns around. BTW, just in theroy, will $6e car's calculated AFR closely reflect actual AFR assuming injector constant is correct?
Plant Protection is the man!
Thank you, it works great now.
Very impressive program Tim
Thanks guys
Old 01-19-2004, 03:48 PM

Very nice tim, im going to be tuning my 6e using afr tuner and a w/b. Ill let you know how it turns out as soon as the weather clears up here in ohio! Thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 09:16 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Transmission: 700R4 w/TransGo
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73s
First off, I am running AFRtuner on a 475mhz pentium clone with WinMe. Program works fine, lasts long time.

Second, great job to Trax for setting this tuner up. You have just made PE/WOT tuning much easier for alot of folks! Of course this is with the help of some kind of WB O2 sensor. AFRTuner was real easy to use, and should make life much better for folks who are not so "computer smart". Best part of the program was the fact that you could take your current existing (highly modified) bin, and apply tuner to make your PE changes. IE, you don't have to start all over with a new bin. Also, having the option of adding the WB hacs was a nice touch.

I had allready made up a spreadsheet which calculates the WOT afr, based on the 2 %change tables, and was thinking about reverse engineering another table, just like Trax did. The good thing is that when I pulled in my modifed ARAP bin, the grid all calulated out the AFR exactly the same as I had in my spreadsheet!

Now one more question/comment. Sort of similar to what someone asked above, but relating to a MAF based bin. If the commanded WOT AFR does not match what the WB reads, how do you go about making them come togethor? It was mentioned to tweak the VE tables in a SD bin, so I would think we would have to adjust the higher number MAF tables? At WOT, load is high, (LV8), and the airflow is also high, so should we just tweak the MAF counts up/down at a particular gm/sec? In my case, I have never "maxed" out the MAF during WOT. I usually hit like 210gm/sec. My intake system has been modified.

Sorry such a long post,
Old 01-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

The zip file on my website for AFRTuner has been updated by including the flex grid (msflxgrd.ocx). The README.TXT file has also been updated with information on the flex grid error and how to fix it.

... I might just go into VB and create a setup file. I'll do that and check the size. If the size of the setup file is sufficiently small then I'll put the setup file in the zip and remove everything else.

EDIT: I just compiled an installation program and it's too large for my taste. The CAB file is 2.5 megs. I'll update the ZIP file as necessary for any new problems that are found.

Tim

Last edited by TRAXION; 01-20-2004 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by MikeT 88IROC350
If the commanded WOT AFR does not match what the WB reads, how do you go about making them come togethor? It was mentioned to tweak the VE tables in a SD bin, so I would think we would have to adjust the higher number MAF tables? At WOT, load is high, (LV8), and the airflow is also high, so should we just tweak the MAF counts up/down at a particular gm/sec? In my case, I have never "maxed" out the MAF during WOT. I usually hit like 210gm/sec. My intake system has been modified.

Sorry such a long post,
Mike,

I haven't done this with a MAF binary but I believe that the method you suggested is the way to do it. Basically, you wanna tweak the part throttle fueling tables in order to bring that fuel in line with a 14.7:1 AFR. For MAF that means the MAF tables. The important thing to remember here is that you have to make sure that you are not maxing out the MAF and you have to make sure that you have the max airflow tables bumped up so that they can actually reach that limit (in TC this is called Max Airflow vs. RPM (diag.)).

Thanks for the props!

Tim
Old 01-20-2004, 05:06 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Transmission: 700R4 w/TransGo
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73s
Tim, my part-throttle BLMs are pretty decent, like 124-130. When I do an average over the scan, comes out to 128. I just received my LM-1 WB today in the mail, so I don't know what the AFR really is.

The MAF tables 1,2,3 are generally used during light load conditions on the engine. I am quite aware of the table you mention, it limits the gm/sec vs rpm. I have checked all of my 1/4 mile runs, and I never come real close to the limits in the stock table. I think the max I have seen at WOT is like 210gm/sec. Makes me wonder since I have modified my intake setup a bit.

What I am thinking is changing MAF tables 4,5,6 to get the commanded AFR match what the WB says. IE if I am reading 173gm/sec at 4400rpm, and the WB reads 12.9, but the commanded value in the grid says 12.2, then I would need to richen it up by 0.7 points, which means adding about 5.7% fuel to the 173gm/sec entry in MAF table 5. That would mean change the 1440 count value from 173 to about 183.

Does any of this jive? There must be some fellow MAF tuners that have done this or tried?
Old 01-20-2004, 05:12 PM
TGO Supporter

EDIT I just compiled an installation program and it's too large for my taste. The CAB file is 2.5 megs. I'll update the ZIP file as necessary for any new problems that are found.

Tim
Tim - Check out Inno Setup. Its what I used. Supports zip natively (so the installation size will only be about 100k more than your files are currently when zipped).

M
Old 01-26-2004, 04:45 AM

Car: Holden VQ Statesman
Engine: 5.0L V8
Transmission: 5sp Manual, IRS
I don't suppose one of you seasoned hackers could write a patch to support WB O2 in the 12/$5A Holden Commodore VR/VS V8 mask.

Possibly the best SD MAP cal for MAP TPI V8 for the 1227165/808/082.

I've been trying to wrap my novice brain around the changes using Hex Editor v4.1 comparing APYP to APYP_WB, and it's just too much for me yet to somehow port/copy to my cal.

I'd like to be able to log via D8 (TPS2 A/D Ch0) as per the $6E APYP mask for '165 except MAP not MAF, and a later 32k code with only 22k code space utilised. plenty free....?!

Regards,

Sean
Old 04-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

I was using this program at the track. The problem was that I couldn't change the actual fuel curve. No matter what it'll change the entire row. Another thing that woud be good is to highlight certain spots and fill them.

NOt trying to complain at all. :hail:
Old 04-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

I used the program at the dyno last week.

The results were great, the program is very predictable after you use about twice. A comanded change from the baseline of .5 netted an actuall of .3 in my case.

With AFR Tuner and a WB O2 there is no reason why anyone cant get their AFR curve damn near dead on within 3-5 attempts.

Big props for Trax.:hail:
Old 04-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

It is also very important to note that the predictable nature of tuning that AFR Tuner provides is far different than tuning PE Vs. RPM in the ARAP .bin for my case.

A simple commanded change in AFR Tuner of .5 resulted in wild swings in the values that are displayed in PE Vs. RPM. In fact the swing in PE Vs. RPM was so wild that I would have to say it would have been very difficult to get things dialed in so fast as I would have never asumed that such a big swing in the PE Vs. RPM values would net such a small change on the WB O2.

In all honesty I cant imagine why anyone would try to tune without the AFR Tuner.

Quick Reply: AFRTuner v1.0