Problems / Help / Suggestions / Comments Let us know if you're having any problems with the site or board software. Post any ideas you might have for ThirdGen.Org here.

Site not being kept up to date ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi and 350 on stand
Transmission: 4spd auto
Site not being kept up to date ?

The last main page update to the site seems to be closing in on a year old. Is this due to nothing going on or just lack of maintenance? Also, it's been noted in the forums that the VIN decoder and RPO decoder are at times either erroneous or incomplete, are the moderators taking note of this and getting the decoders updated or is there something stopping this from happening?
Old 12-26-2004, 11:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The moderators play no part in site maintenance. The admins do, and they tend to be quite busy with other things in their life.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:55 AM

well, if the admins dont have time to admin, maybe they should get some more admins, some that do. It seems like thirdgen.org should be a forum site with a sidebar for the decoders and tech articles. Just ditch the homepage altogether and bring you right to the forum.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Wait, let me call Dirk and tell him that yet another person thinks they can run the board better then him and that he's doing it wrong again. Man this comes up a whole lot.

If you really want to find out or notify the guys that run the show... bottom of most pages "Contact Us".

IMNSHO Dirk did everyone a great service and quite honestly could have kept the plug unplugged a few years back. I'd think if one was going to post something like this, one would first start off by saying how pleased they are that someone took the time and put forth the effort to make a site like this available to everyone for FREE.

Iroc, maybe you should let me make a sticky on some of this crap. I can make it short and sweet.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:53 PM

Car: 87 Black Formula
Engine: Rollercammed Lg4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10 Bolt Locker
I was just about to post something like this myself, but you beat me to it. I've been thinking for it for a while, 6 months or so, and I think the site would benefit from at least some news on the front page.

Although i appreciate what the site and the board already is, I think it would be even better with some new content now and then. If the admins have too much other things to do, I suggest that perhaps board members or others may contribute. It could then be edited by the admins, or the admins administrative assistants, and we could get some content.

If nothing else, it would be cool to see links to magazine articles about our cars, maybe some pics and event coverage made by enthusiasts. Also new products would be cool. Actually anything semi professional would do. With the huge board member numbers thirdgen.org have, there ought to be someone willing to contribute to this. I would myself if allowed to.

Just give the writer credid for the material, and I think people would be happy to do this.

Well, that's it I guess.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:37 AM

instead of getting all defensive, go back and reread what i wrote. I said that if the admins are too busy with other things, then there should be more admins. What's wrong with that? That's just simply logical. It's not saying someone else can run the board better than they can, the board is being run fine as it is, I'm talking about the rest of the site. Someone who has time to maintain the rest of the site would do better than someone who doesn't. Nobody has to leave or be replaced, just a couple people added so if one is busy there is at least a good chance someone isn't. If you dont think so, perhaps you can tell me how that isn't correct?

Also, I mentioned that the board is fine, this post has nothing to do with the forums. It has to do with the other parts of the site that seem to have been neglected for a long time. The ability for more people to make updates to the site, itself, would solve the problems of real life getting in the way of any one individual. I'm hardly saying to make me that person, just that the other trusted top moderators could be made into site admins with access to make updates. This isn't some revolutionary idea, just an idea to solve a problem you, yourself, admitted to being the reason why things were so neglected on the site. So, stop being all defensive, nobody was attacking the site or the forum or the admins ability to run a site.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:22 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Believe me, I agree that there should be more admins, but the site does very well as it is, and there isn't exactly a whole lot of "new" news on thirdgens.

I think the only way Dirk would get another admin is if the admin payed for the position. I've offered my help before but they didn't take it.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:47 AM

Car: '68 corvette '73 Corvette
Engine: 427 454
Transmission: TH400
nothing has helped me more with problems with my car than this website. manuals cant always tell you what this little wire, hose, sensor etc. does or exactly how to modify it without problems. i could care less about anything else on the sight. i just want to talk to someone who has had the same problem that i am having so i can fix it or give someone advice on fixing thiers.

just wanted to voice my opinion.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
webmaster@thirdgen.org

Request Dirk's return into being interested and to come back from his hiatus.