Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Blueprint Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc 5.7,67 SS Camaro,90 Formula
Engine: 355 AFR Superram LPE 219
Transmission: 700r4 3000 stall 4spd 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Stay away from Blueprint Engines

I saw another person's thread about a 383 that had the wrong size bearings in it I believe and they jerked the guy around for months. I googled their complaints and there is a ton of them. The last thing you would expect is to get totally beat spending the extra cash for a crate motor to buy junk. This is a big deal to alot of people because after the swap people run out of money interest or time and abandon the project.. bad company
Old 09-02-2016, 05:23 PM

Re: Blueprint Engines

Originally Posted by IROCZ1989
To me it seems the buyer knew the shop/seller thats sold him the engine and got special treatment. Thats how I am seeing it. Basically sells 8-10 engines a month. Has pull with blueprint to get a new engine vs replacing head gasket. Kind of a conundrum here. Blueprint sends a motor to somone else with a simaler situation but denies this guy. This engine blows a head gasket and it looks like it was on a power adder. But I have to ask with that kind of detonation. Can we see pics of the spark plugs or piston tops of those adjoining cylinders? That will give some more insight. Heavy power adder detonation will break the rings lands and or skirts. More info and pics is needed.
The plugs over cylinders 6 and 8 were fouled out but no damage. The other 6 plugs were normal. All 8 pistons were undamaged. The shop changed the plugs after reassembly so I don't have the old ones to take a picture. When they had the engine disassembled I went in to look at it and the pistons and block were unharmed, otherwise the engine would not have been reassembled and any further damage would have been repaired.

I have never had any form of a power adder on the car and never raced it. No nitrous, supercharger, turbocharger, etc etc. It is my daily driver and has always been naturally aspirated.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears

Are the pistons cast or forged in this motor?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:26 PM

Are the pistons cast or forged in this motor?
Cast hypereutectic
Old 09-04-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS Vert 86 Cutlass
Engine: Sbc
Transmission: T5 400 Turbo

Originally Posted by red rock
Quote; The only time I have seen a gasket and head look like that was with a Horrible
Nitrous Tune or crappy boost tunes on them or beat on before the tune.

Quote; I have a buddys brother that broke one recently he pulled the motor and sent it back to blue print instead of taking it to a shop. they sent him another complete motor no issues no questions asked. His actually had blown a head gasket as well.

But jojo1590's motor was blown up by him and his tuner. So your buddies brother blew a head gasket and they replaced the whole motor?

That's not what I am saying at all. Im saying instead of having the "LOCAL" shop issue tear it apart he should have crated it up and sent it back just like my buddy did. I never helped him at all. Just gave him his invoice number and proof of purchase incase he needed it.

But the fact is Blueprint took it apart not some random shop but He did buy the Complete motor as a package carb intake etc ready to drop in not part by part
Old 09-04-2016, 07:50 PM

To me it seems the buyer knew the shop/seller thats sold him the engine and got special treatment. Thats how I am seeing it. Basically sells 8-10 engines a month. Has pull with blueprint to get a new engine vs replacing head gasket. Kind of a conundrum here. Blueprint sends a motor to somone else with a simaler situation but denies this guy. This engine blows a head gasket and it looks like it was on a power adder. But I have to ask with that kind of detonation. Can we see pics of the spark plugs or piston tops of those adjoining cylinders? That will give some more insight. Heavy power adder detonation will break the rings lands and or skirts. More info and pics is needed.
Actually The buddy bought the engine and installed it his self and un installed it his self. He called blue print told them what it did the tech he spoke with told him to pull the plugs and antifreeze came out boom theres a issue. Then He said what do I do they told him to pull it crate it and send it back. Well I mean the OP said he asked if it was ok for the shop his car was at to do the work and then blue print said sure. So then at that point he was only getting parts not the whole engine.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 iroc
Engine: 383 TPIS intake, Dyno Don headers
Transmission: 700R4 w/Pro-built Auto/transgo 2-3
Axle/Gears: 3.27/3.70 borg warner 9 bolt

Originally Posted by Gibbyzracing
Actually The buddy bought the engine and installed it his self and un installed it his self. He called blue print told them what it did the tech he spoke with told him to pull the plugs and antifreeze came out boom theres a issue. Then He said what do I do they told him to pull it crate it and send it back. Well I mean the OP said he asked if it was ok for the shop his car was at to do the work and then blue print said sure. So then at that point he was only getting parts not the whole engine.
I understand your a Blueprint employee, and i also understand you trying to make this situation better from all angles, but what i don't understand is Blueprint gave jojo1590 the okay to have a shop tear it down and look at it and because of that Blueprint will only replace the malfunctioned parts. Then you have a guy who installed and took out his own engine and a Blueprint tech tells him to pull a plug and antifreeze comes out and Blueprint believes that guy, but then thinks jojo1590 must have had bad detonation because of a possible power adder to blow his gasket and head. It just doesn't sound good to me. If Blueprint can diagnose a motor over the phone with one guy, why can't they with another. And that's what a lot of the bad rap that Blueprint get's is inconsistency on how they handle some problems. It sounds like to me the 2 biggest sellers of these motors are price and warranty. But if some people get a run around on a issue, they tend to get soured real quick. As far as I'm concerned you probably have a good business, but customer service can make or break a business also.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:58 AM
Supreme Member

I understand your a Blueprint employee, and i also understand you trying to make this situation better from all angles, but what i don't understand is Blueprint gave jojo1590 the okay to have a shop tear it down and look at it and because of that Blueprint will only replace the malfunctioned parts. Then you have a guy who installed and took out his own engine and a Blueprint tech tells him to pull a plug and antifreeze comes out and Blueprint believes that guy, but then thinks jojo1590 must have had bad detonation because of a possible power adder to blow his gasket and head. It just doesn't sound good to me. If Blueprint can diagnose a motor over the phone with one guy, why can't they with another. And that's what a lot of the bad rap that Blueprint get's is inconsistency on how they handle some problems. It sounds like to me the 2 biggest sellers of these motors are price and warranty. But if some people get a run around on a issue, they tend to get soured real quick. As far as I'm concerned you probably have a good business, but customer service can make or break a business also.
The difference is Gibbzy sells 8-10 blueprint engines a month and the customer was a friend. He got special treatment. Thats about it. There is the difference.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

Yes because at the end if I sell 200 motors and have 2 or 3 break that's not bad. And at the end of the day the warranty is through them. I work for a very well known mail order company and sell multiple Blue print engines a week. and all the ones I have known of a issue blue print has fixed. I have a buddys brother that broke one recently he pulled the motor and sent it back to blue print instead of taking it to a shop. they sent him another complete motor no issues no questions asked. His actually had blown a head gasket as well.

Did Blue Print Engine reps know the "broke" engine was from your "buddy"?
Old 09-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

How come no one else picked up on this. OP says he brought the car/engine to not one, or two, but three different shops, who ALL dynoed it, with out knowing it was only running on 6 cylinders?????? ( op says they thought it was running funny) What kind of shops are these? If my or any engine I'm working on is missing or only running x amount of cylinders, its pretty obvious.

When there is something wrong with an engine, you dont keep driving it or having it dynoed... esp 3 times... I'm surprised there isnt more damage...

Last edited by -=Z28=-; 09-05-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by -=Z28=-
How come no one else picked up on this. OP says he brought the car/engine to not one, or two, but three different shops, who ALL dynoed it, with out knowing it was only running on 6 cylinders?????? ( op says they thought it was running funny) What kind of shops are these? If my or any engine I'm working on is missing or only running x amount of cylinders, its pretty obvious.

When there is something wrong with an engine, you dont keep driving it or having it dynoed... esp 3 times... I'm surprised there isnt more damage...
Blueprint didnt cover this blown headgasket but warrenties the full motor of a vendors friend. Easy to figure out.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:52 PM

The difference is Gibbzy sells 8-10 blueprint engines a month and the customer was a friend. He got special treatment. Thats about it. There is the difference.
No as I don't work for a small company or a independent company. I work for a Huge mail order company I personally sell 8/10 a month but I also didn't have any say in anything he come into the retail side of the company I work for and talked them. They gave him blue prints info and told him to call them since that is who handled the warranty. Its not like its a shop I work for Not one person at blue print knows who I am. I am literally a no body in this company... I couldn't get anyone to help like that if I tried.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:55 PM

I am not a blue print employee. I work for a Company that carries blueprint products. I understand the customer service is the main back to any customer. They told him to pull motor and send it back(he is ASE certified and runs a local shop as well) but it was his personal car not a customer car. That's what he did.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by mikeceli
Did Blue Print Engine reps know the "broke" engine was from your "buddy"?
No sir... I don't work with any of the vendors that we carry. I am just a technical support guy in a large mail order company. I don't know anyone at any of the vendors we carry
Old 09-05-2016, 03:58 PM

Blueprint didnt cover this blown headgasket but warrenties the full motor of a vendors friend. Easy to figure out.
Actually hard to figure out that He called them and did it all his self. He never got any special treatment period. He don't what his paper work told him to do when installing the complete carb to pan 383 he bought. It was he went about it the correct way. He called told them he had a issue and then the rep he spoke with got it all taken car of for him.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:59 AM
Supreme Member

Actually hard to figure out that He called them and did it all his self. He never got any special treatment period. He don't what his paper work told him to do when installing the complete carb to pan 383 he bought. It was he went about it the correct way. He called told them he had a issue and then the rep he spoke with got it all taken car of for him.
One of your original posts didnt mention you worked for jegs. You said you personally sell 8-10 a month and a friend of your brother or "buddy" blew a head gasket on a blueprint engine he bought threw you. You sold 8-10 a month. You said they "sent" him a new motor. You never originally mentioned you worked for jegs. Whole point that was made is that you mentioned selling a motor to a friend and he blew a headgasket and got a new motor. Same situation as original poster.

Did you sell that motor to your friend that blew the headgasket? Why is this blown headgasket different from your "buddy"? You nitpick this guys tuner. Is your "buddys" tuner any better? His headgasket blew too. Like the saying goes, if it walks like a duck its a duck. Your buddy got special treatment. Easy to read into that. Now your blowing that off. Should have just said a "customer" blew a headgasket. Buddy infers special treatment. We all want to help out friends. Why you wouldnt here, as your infering, I dont believe.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:29 AM
Supreme Member

No sir... I don't work with any of the vendors that we carry. I am just a technical support guy in a large mail order company. I don't know anyone at any of the vendors we carry
How are your tech support if your selling 8-10 engines a month?

Here is what I dont understand. Almost all interactions Ive seen from people that work for big name companies in the car buisness usually stay neutral or out of a situation all together. Putting your imput or opinion on a subject may or may not put your employer in the spotlight good or bad. In this situation the planets are aligned to make your employer look bad. It makes it seem like employees of Jegs get special treatment for certain people. You do what you like. Your a grown man like me I assume. But when you work for a big company like Jegs and a situation comes up like this its better to sit on the sidelines or give general opinions on the matter. To take sides or show bias doesnt make the company you work for look good. Your hammering the guys tuner and him. If a customer bought a blueprint engine today and same situation came up and he called Jegs tech would this be the treatment he or she would be given? So one blown headgasket is not like the other? Blown headgasket is a blown headgasket, no difference. Only difference is one is your "buddy" and one is not.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:26 PM

No as I don't work for a small company or a independent company. I work for a Huge mail order company I personally sell 8/10 a month but I also didn't have any say in anything he come into the retail side of the company I work for and talked them. They gave him blue prints info and told him to call them since that is who handled the warranty. Its not like its a shop I work for Not one person at blue print knows who I am. I am literally a no body in this company... I couldn't get anyone to help like that if I tried.
"Yes Im a internet expert. I deal with blue print daily and several people have issues because of issues but things happen."

If you sell 8-10 Blueprint engines a month and deal with them daily as you stated above, then how can not one person at Blueprint know who you are? If someone sold ~$30,000 of Blueprint's product per month and dealt with Blueprint daily, then Blueprint would know exactly who that sales person was.

Last edited by jojo1590; 09-06-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by jojo1590
"Yes Im a internet expert. I deal with blue print daily and several people have issues because of issues but things happen."

If you sell 8-10 Blueprint engines a month and deal with them daily as you stated above, then how can not one person at Blueprint know who you are? If someone sold ~$30,000 of Blueprint's product per month and dealt with Blueprint daily, then Blueprint would know exactly who that sales person was.
I deal with Blueprint products daily Not them. I sell them quite often from heads to motors to blocks to other products they offer. Yes they are with our big company. I think I have talked to them maybe 4 times since I have been in this end of the business. Yes I call them but I bet there isn't one person there who knows who I am. there is 300 people that work here in tech support/order entry.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:04 PM

How are your tech support if your selling 8-10 engines a month?

Here is what I dont understand. Almost all interactions Ive seen from people that work for big name companies in the car buisness usually stay neutral or out of a situation all together. Putting your imput or opinion on a subject may or may not put your employer in the spotlight good or bad. In this situation the planets are aligned to make your employer look bad. It makes it seem like employees of Jegs get special treatment for certain people. You do what you like. Your a grown man like me I assume. But when you work for a big company like Jegs and a situation comes up like this its better to sit on the sidelines or give general opinions on the matter. To take sides or show bias doesnt make the company you work for look good. Your hammering the guys tuner and him. If a customer bought a blueprint engine today and same situation came up and he called Jegs tech would this be the treatment he or she would be given? So one blown headgasket is not like the other? Blown headgasket is a blown headgasket, no difference. Only difference is one is your "buddy" and one is not.

They would be given the same stuff as anyone. The warranty is through blue print not us. So they would be given the same information as anyone that calls. Their invoice number and the information to contact blue print would be given after we discussed what was wrong with the item....

A first issue is pull plug(coolant comes out theres a issue) then if coolant is in the oil and driven before caught its a greater issue. We don't warranty the motors the warranty is through blue print them selves. So yes I put my input in due to A I know they treated quite a few of my customers great. The shop I used to work at wouldn't sell anything but blueprint engines and I installed them. They have had issues but as blue print said themselves above they have worked to better their products every company has issues and works towards fixing them. I mean the OP couldn't even produce any pictures but blue print provided them right off the bat
Old 09-06-2016, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, but you didnt answer my question. Your buddy blows a head gasket. Blueprint sends him a new motor no questions asked. This guy blows a head gasket and Blueprint and you question everything he says. And the motor isnt warrentied. So tell me what is the difference? Why is one covered and not the other ?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:20 PM

Just Like blue print said. Customer bought a long block and supplied all his top end(Intake ignition etc) My buddies brother bought a COMPLETE motor from the crate ready to roll from them it was what they recommended set everything as they told him in the paper work that he received with his motor... It has been said a few times above actually
Old 09-06-2016, 05:23 PM

They maybe his motor had bottom end damage because of driving it with water in the oil I have no clue I just know what he told me
Old 09-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jojo1590
This is a warning to stay away from Blueprint engines. In summary, Blueprint Engines did not honor their labor commitment in their warranty. Blueprint engines did not communicate to me in a professional or timely manner; I had to reach out to them every time to get an update.

I purchased a Blueprint engines crate engine (BP35512CT1) from Summit racing in 2015. I went with Blueprint because of the warranty and the horsepower ratings (402hp). I had a professional shop do the entire installation, and made sure that all the installation and break-in procedures were followed. Furthermore, all maintenance procedures have been followed.

When I got the car dynoed by a reputable/esteemed local race shop, the wheel horsepower was much lower than I expected, around 250whp. So a few months later, I got it tuned by another reputable/esteemed race shop, and same thing, wheel horsepower was around 240. I took it to another reputable/esteemed race shop a few months later for a dyno tune, and once again, wheel horsepower was around 240. I had always attributed it to the 700r4 and IRS stealing all the power. I had called Blueprint engines to ask about the lower than expected horsepower and was told that it was because of a “loose converter.”

The last two shops that tuned the engine had both pointed out that engine wasn’t running quite right. I always attributed the rough idling to the cam specs, because AFR, timing, etc. was always on point. The last shop ran a compression test, and cylinders #6 and #8 had 0 compression. That explained the missing 80 horsepower from what I was originally expecting.

I called Blueprint engines to file a warranty claim, explain the situation, and authorize work on the car. Blueprint engines authorized the shop to do the work, so the shop took off the heads and saw a blown head gasket between 6 and 8, as well as two little grooves between the combustion chambers of 6 and 8. The block was undamaged, and the pistons and spark plugs were all in good shape, with no signs of melting or damage. The only damage was in the aluminum head between combustion chambers of cylinders 6 and 8. I did some searching and found that Blueprint Engines uses China head castings. Three separate mechanical engineers, and two separate mechanics told me that the damage was due to either a casting error or improper torque sequencing.

When I spoke with Ken, the warranty rep, on the phone, he explained that Blueprint Engines would ship a new head and a shipping label to return the damaged head back to Blueprint Engines. Ken said that Blueprint Engines would perform an inspection on the head to see what caused the damage.

After waiting with no word from Blueprint Engines for 2 weeks, I called Blueprint Engines and was told that the cylinder head was being built. Blueprint engines sent a new cylinder head 3 weeks after the old head had been removed. That surprised me because they are readily available at Jegs, Summit, etc., so the inventory should have been large enough to ship quickly. The old head was returned to Blueprint Engines. I paid the local shop up front for the labor, and I must give them the highest accolades for their professionalism and service; they were always prompt and great at communicating. I got all of my updates through the local shop, not Blueprint Engines. The local shop called me every step of the way and updated me on their progress, but I had to reach out to Blueprint Engines for any updates at all.

After waiting 3 more weeks after the installation and no word from Blueprint Engines, I called Blueprint Engines for an update. The customer service rep told me that the head had not been inspected, and took a message to have Ken call me back. Ken called me back a few hours later, saying that the part had been inspected. Ken repeatedly called me by the wrong name “Dave”, accused me of negligence, stated that Blueprint Engines will not pay for the labor, and that he hopes that the car was tuned right this time. He directly insulted me by calling me the wrong name while reading my reference file, and also insulted my installation mechanic and all three respectable dyno tuners by saying that it was not tuned correctly in the past. All procedures outlined by Blueprint Engines were followed from the start by ASE certified technicians.

I am disgusted by Blueprint Engines’ quality and service. I purchased their engine because of the warranty and “value”, unfortunately having disregarded others’ previous bad experiences with Blueprint Engines that I had read. I was without my only car for 6 weeks and am left with a bill of almost $1000 because Blueprint Engines did not stand up to their word and did not do the right thing. After this ordeal with Blueprint Engines, I have spent the same amount of money to get a GM crate motor, which would not have had the quality issues that I experienced. Please learn from my ordeal and stay away from Blueprint Engines.
Here is jojo1590's original post and here is Blueprints warranty;http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf...t_warranty.pdf If you read the original post and the warranty, I think everything was done correctly by the OP, to me it looks like Blueprint can pick and choose on what they want to warranty or not even if it looks like a faulty part. As far as more pics from the OP, he said there was nothing else wrong with the block or piston so whats the point. After reading the warranty, there is too much grey area in the warranty to warrant a good warranty. You guy's make up your mind.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Warranty doesnt mean squat. I take expertise and attention to detail +no chinese junk anyday over a warrenty. You want a motor that will never use the warrenty or anything for that matter. Remember the old sayin Cheap, Reliable ,Fast. Pick two. Blueprint falls into the cheap and fast, not reliable. Reliable doesnt come from putting together high hp motors on an assembly line. Like someone here said, motors come with a generic dyno sheet and the motor recieved wasnt even run.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 350 TBI build
Axle/Gears: 3.73 G80

Originally Posted by Dyno Don
The last one I dealt with ran alright but they sold him a L98 replacement engine
that came with TBI truck heads, a flat tappet cam on 110 LSA in a roller block.

That's not good.
that is not cool
Old 09-07-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73

My previous next door neighbor had swapped a Blueprint 383 into his 3rd gen Camaro. It held together. It survived a carb tuning fiasco when AutoZone sent the wrong carb. It ran for a year or so without an air filter. I always thought the car sounded rough but learned the owner didn't want to spend big bucks for a new Y pipe so the exhaust was sort off half cut out half y pipe and muffler. I talked with the mechanic that did the swap and he said the. Blueprint 383 engine was pretty good for the cost and he didn't have any issues with swap other than the wrong carb from AutoZone.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Arctic White 91 RS
My previous next door neighbor had swapped a Blueprint 383 into his 3rd gen Camaro. It held together. It survived a carb tuning fiasco when AutoZone sent the wrong carb. It ran for a year or so without an air filter. I always thought the car sounded rough but learned the owner didn't want to spend big bucks for a new Y pipe so the exhaust was sort off half cut out half y pipe and muffler. I talked with the mechanic that did the swap and he said the. Blueprint 383 engine was pretty good for the cost and he didn't have any issues with swap other than the wrong carb from AutoZone.
With the amount of engines Blueprint sells a month, I'm sure most are good. What's at stake here is it seems when there is a problem, Blueprint has the authority to determine what is covered under their warranty and what isn't. Which makes sense from a business standpoint, but if there is part malfunctions that certified mechanics have diagnosed with the consent of Blueprint, and they won't cover the labor because they think the customer caused the part malfunction, and also the time invested trying to resolve the issue, Then you have to ask yourself is it worth it? Or is it a crap shoot.

Last edited by red rock; 09-07-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: Supercharged 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Im with -=Z28=- How the hell did three "professional" shops not see that its missing on two cylinders. Not one of them asked if you wanted to fix the misfire before the dyno run?!?!?!?
Im terms of warranty work, im sure blueprint is willing to work with their customers in any way they can. Wether your a competent mechanic or you just feel uncomfortable with pulling cylinder heads and adjusting valve lash, Im sure they leave it up to you. It is after all the whole reason why people buy crate engines after all, Were not all engine builders.
The delayed response is a bit of a bummer, but atleast this guy owned up to it in the forum.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73

Modding is always a calculated risk or crap shoot. We do our research, pay our money and take our chances. I feel for the OP. I got burned by local shop that did crate motor for my corvette a few years ago. They fired the guy that built they motor, gave me some gaskets as the warranty and said "that's racing". Thankfully, that shop closed its doors not too long after that.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73

Im glad someone caught this as well.. these guys never noticed it had a misfire on two cylinders? LOL

OP keeps tossing ASE around like it means something.. ive been ASE master cert and L1 for many years , never once failed a test which is more than most guys can say and tell you the truth the tests are easy.. multiple choice tests. i deal with other techs all day at my job who try to tell me ase this and that.. I laugh and tell them to rub their patch on the car and maybe it will fix the issue they cant figure out.

I deal with techs who tell me they have been doing this for 30 years yet they cant figure out the simplest problems.

no one is perfect everyone makes mistakes so how do you know the first guy didnt pop the headgasket? lean too much timing it only takes once and its hurt. then you have the blow torch burning that head
Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 88 350 tpi formula
Im glad someone caught this as well.. these guys never noticed it had a misfire on two cylinders? LOL

OP keeps tossing ASE around like it means something.. ive been ASE master cert and L1 for many years , never once failed a test which is more than most guys can say and tell you the truth the tests are easy.. multiple choice tests. i deal with other techs all day at my job who try to tell me ase this and that.. I laugh and tell them to rub their patch on the car and maybe it will fix the issue they cant figure out.

I deal with techs who tell me they have been doing this for 30 years yet they cant figure out the simplest problems.

no one is perfect everyone makes mistakes so how do you know the first guy didnt pop the headgasket? lean too much timing it only takes once and its hurt. then you have the blow torch burning that head
Yes, at least I read his post;

[When I got the car dynoed by a reputable/esteemed local race shop, the wheel horsepower was much lower than I expected, around 250whp. So a few months later, I got it tuned by another reputable/esteemed race shop, and same thing, wheel horsepower was around 240. I took it to another reputable/esteemed race shop a few months later for a dyno tune, and once again, wheel horsepower was around 240. I had always attributed it to the 700r4 and IRS stealing all the power. I had called Blueprint engines to ask about the lower than expected horsepower and was told that it was because of a “loose converter.”

The last two shops that tuned the engine had both pointed out that engine wasn’t running quite right. I always attributed the rough idling to the cam specs, because AFR, timing, etc. was always on point. The last shop ran a compression test, and cylinders #6 and #8 had 0 compression. That explained the missing 80 horsepower from what I was originally expecting]

You can also see, he called Blueprint and they said it "it was because of a loose converter". The damaged gasket could also been cause from it not being torqued to spec from Blueprint, a faulty casting in the head, a damaged and over looked gasket from install, The point is, unless you were there, or heard it run from the beginning, there is no way to diagnose it after the fact from the internet. We can only go by what has been said. And like you said "OP keeps tossing ASE around like it means something.. ive been ASE master cert and L1 for many years", so why should we believe you? It's a gasket and maybe a $200 head, I don't think that's the issue, It's the labor cost from the OP and the wait he had that was the problem.

Last edited by red rock; 09-09-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73

Yes, at least I read his post;

[When I got the car dynoed by a reputable/esteemed local race shop, the wheel horsepower was much lower than I expected, around 250whp. So a few months later, I got it tuned by another reputable/esteemed race shop, and same thing, wheel horsepower was around 240. I took it to another reputable/esteemed race shop a few months later for a dyno tune, and once again, wheel horsepower was around 240. I had always attributed it to the 700r4 and IRS stealing all the power. I had called Blueprint engines to ask about the lower than expected horsepower and was told that it was because of a “loose converter.”

The last two shops that tuned the engine had both pointed out that engine wasn’t running quite right. I always attributed the rough idling to the cam specs, because AFR, timing, etc. was always on point. The last shop ran a compression test, and cylinders #6 and #8 had 0 compression. That explained the missing 80 horsepower from what I was originally expecting]

You can also see, he called Blueprint and they said it "it was because of a loose converter". The damaged gasket could also been cause from it not being torqued to spec from Blueprint, a faulty casting in the head, a damaged and over looked gasket from install, The point is, unless you were there, or heard it run from the beginning, there is no way to diagnose it after the fact from the internet. We can only go by what has been said. And like you said "OP keeps tossing ASE around like it means something.. ive been ASE master cert and L1 for many years", so why should we believe you? It's a gasket and maybe a $200 head, I don't think that's the issue, It's the labor cost from the OP and the wait he had that was the problem.
I did read his post. never said you had to believe me but like i said everyone makes mistakes and no matter how great he thought those shops were they clearly missed actual misfires and should have told him hey this is beyond not running quite right.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:26 AM

People will skip the local machine shop to get a "good deal" on a blueprint engine because it has a "warrenty" and stated hp ratings. The motors are put together as cheap as possible. Head are china garbage with cheap valves, studs,rockers and springs. Valves are junk too. Whole casting should be a doorstop. But you cant tell that to the ebay and bargain shoppers. In terms of motors you really do get what you pay for and you need to do your research. Warrenty dosesnt mean squat when you have to ship stuff back and forth and are at the mercy of bluprints final ruling. Buy american, spend your money local if you can and stop sending money to china.
​​​​​​​

This is a bad comment to make after all your troubles and problems, and I truly feel bad for you, but, HP cost money. There are many threads on here and other forums about BP motors. I'm surprised that Summit or anyone even sells their products. Even a few bad ones out of a hundred is not a good percentage in my book.

Blueprint engine blocks are CAST AND MACHINED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. FACT.

QUIT SPREADING LIES

And you guys act like blueprint is the only company to deny a warranty. Lol. Hardly. It's obvious you guys are just the average public and not involved in the aftermarket automotive industry whatsoever. You don't have a clue.

Ask someone who does this for a living. Ask the machine shop that checked the block vs a brodix and found no differences. Don't trust the guy in a 89 camaro looking to replace his engine as cheap as possible and has a limited working knowledge of engines.

Seriously. This thread is so full of misinformation it's ridiculous.

Last edited by Justin Caskey; 01-29-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Justin Caskey
​​​​​​​

Blueprint engine blocks are CAST AND MACHINED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. FACT.

QUIT SPREADING LIES

And you guys act like blueprint is the only company to deny a warranty. Lol. Hardly. It's obvious you guys are just the average public and not involved in the aftermarket automotive industry whatsoever. You don't have a clue.

Ask someone who does this for a living. Ask the machine shop that checked the block vs a brodix and found no differences. Don't trust the guy in a 89 camaro looking to replace his engine as cheap as possible and has a limited working knowledge of engines.

Seriously. This thread is so full of misinformation it's ridiculous.
Just 1 post, where did you see any mention about the engine blocks not being "CAST AND MACHINED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" There was talk about the HEADS. Looks like your the expert.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

...and here I thought I was having a bad weekend.....then this thread comes back to life. Where's that dead horse smiley? ...look guys I SWEAR it was an 86 L98 car. My uncles brother wouldn't lie. LOL...someone shoot me.

My uncles brother
...see it's funny because.....oh heck, nevermind.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:08 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Abubaca
...and here I thought I was having a bad weekend.....then this thread comes back to life. Where's that dead horse smiley? ...look guys I SWEAR it was an 86 L98 car. My uncles brother wouldn't lie. LOL...someone shoot me.

...see it's funny because.....oh heck, nevermind.
just because..
Old 01-31-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: Supercharged 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45

I will add to this and say ive been trying to get specifics about their H8002K cylinder heads (looking to swap in stiffer springs for a boosted aplication) and its been two weeks and i still havent gotten a call back on what size ID springs they have. Starting to wonder if i should spend my money elsewhere