Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Rock Auto: Caution!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rock Auto: Caution!

I just wanted to add a recent, disappointing experience I had with Rock Auto. Two weeks ago, they sent me an a/c hose assembly for my 92 Z28 5.7 (as per their own catalogue) and then refused to admit that the part was not correct after the hose arrived and I showed them a picture of the original hose as compared with the hose they sent.

I sent it back to them the day I received it. I ended up eating the shipping to and from the warehouse. They sat on my funds for two weeks. In fact, the refund just posted to my account tonight, although they received the part last Thursday. I thought this was totally unprofessional if not unconscionable.

Rock Auto might have cheap prices, but just be aware that if they send you the wrong part -- through no fault of your own -- you can expect to eat the shipping to and from and have your funds tied up while they process a refund. Apparently, Rock believes my Camaro is the only Z28 on the planet that has a different hose assembly than the one they're selling. This will be the last order I ever place through these people.

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 14:08:18 -0600
Subject: Re: [Ticket#102093911] Question not answered - Help with Existing Orders

Dear Jon,

I provided all of the information you had given to GPD. They were unable to explain why your vehicle somehow received a different hose configuration. The return has been set up correctly, though the overall situation is unfortunate to see. Once this has been received at the warehouse a refund would process in 1-3 business days, when completed we email a notification of refund for your records.

Thank you,

Jeff
RockAuto Customer Service

RockAuto HELP
http://www.rockauto.com
Old 11-23-2016, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56
Re: Rock Auto: Caution!

that's the prob with Mail order
Old 11-24-2016, 03:51 AM

Agreed. But some mail order outfits do better than others. On the other hand, last week, I replaced a Murray a/c compressor that I had purchased for $164 from O'Reilly Automotive nineteen months ago. I went through three compressors last week and all three were bad. They all sounded like a rattling spray paint can. On one, the clutch wouldn't engage until you tapped it with a screwdriver handle (maybe the cheap black spray paint they used got into the clutch mechanism).

Finally, I decided I'd had enough, so I got a refund and ordered a new AC Delco from ebay, which came in less than two days for $184, including shipping. No noises and it runs as smooth as glass. I should have never gone with aftermarket junk when the original (new) Delco is only $20 more. Another hard lesson.

BTW, nice car.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:07 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

What PN was ordered? Sent?
What was incorrect about it?
Was it the Four Seasons item they list?
Old 11-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 Camaro, '94 Camaro, 3 others
Engine: LG4 ->L29, L32->LR4, L36, LG4, L31
Transmission: 700R-4, T5WC, 4L80E, SM465, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23, WTB/WTT 2.93

Same thing with the accessory belts for my mom's 735i, 2 belts were way wrong, they refused any remedy, told me I was wrong
Old 11-24-2016, 03:51 PM

Jmd,

It was not the Four Seasons hose. It was the GPD 4811722 hose below it in this link.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...rant+hose,6900

Here's a picture of the original hose from my car on the left and Rock Auto's GPD hose on the right. I see they are still advertising the wrong hose as fitting the 92 Z28. I'm sure the original hose on my car was never changed because the car has been in my possession from the time I drove it off the showroom floor in May 1992.

I guess they couldn't even take the time to change their listing for the next person who will also have to eat the shipping to and from the warehouse just to discover it is the wrong part. Sad.
Attached Thumbnails Rock Auto: Caution!-img-20161111-00705.jpg  
Old 11-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of parts from then. I had a problem where one box was missing parts, they sent me a new item and I didn't even have to send the old one back. I've also gotten parts that were not the right ones and they either pay the shipping or just send a new one. How did you communicate with them regarding this issue?
Old 11-25-2016, 01:11 AM

I have ordered parts from Rock in the past. I guess it's like playing Russian Roulette. They did send me an oil pan a few years ago that didn't fit because my car had the factory oil cooler. I ended up taking out the Dremel tool and modifying the lip. Glad I didn't send it back. I think they are into the "one size fits all" approach for a lot of their parts.

I communicated with them via their customer service email (above). The fact that they have not even changed their catalogue tells me that they are not really interested in being the best that they can be. It's not even the issue of the $14 I lost on shipping -- It's just the principle and the way it was handled. How does GPD being unable to explain the discrepancy with the wrong hose make them right?
Old 11-25-2016, 01:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The catalog shows a picture of the hose you received. It's more likely that the manufacturer screwed up the interchange info. There are plenty of parts on there that obviously won't work ont he applications they're listed under.

The buyer's guide gives some strong hints it's not the right part too...

Buyer's Guide : GPD 4811722 A/C Refrigerant Hose
BUICK REGAL 1994-1995
CHEVROLET CAMARO 1992
CHEVROLET LUMINA 1994-1995
CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 1995
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME 1994-1995
PONTIAC FIREBIRD 1992
PONTIAC GRAND PRIX 1994-1995

If you look under the 91 Camaro they show the correct hose assembly. Scrutinizing the photos might have saved some trouble. Might try calling them and asking what they can do to remedy the situation.

I've had a problem or two with the wrong item in the right box or whatever, and they've always sent out a replacement right away.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

I got sent the wrong brake hose from them once, and they just refunded the money and did not want the part shipped back. I would keep up the fight. The error was not yours and you should not have to eat the shipping.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Originally Posted by Drew
The catalog shows a picture of the hose you received. It's more likely that the manufacturer screwed up the interchange info. There are plenty of parts on there that obviously won't work ont he applications they're listed under.

The buyer's guide gives some strong hints it's not the right part too...

Buyer's Guide : GPD 4811722 A/C Refrigerant Hose
BUICK REGAL 1994-1995
CHEVROLET CAMARO 1992
CHEVROLET LUMINA 1994-1995
CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 1995
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME 1994-1995
PONTIAC FIREBIRD 1992
PONTIAC GRAND PRIX 1994-1995

If you look under the 91 Camaro they show the correct hose assembly. Scrutinizing the photos might have saved some trouble. Might try calling them and asking what they can do to remedy the situation.

I've had a problem or two with the wrong item in the right box or whatever, and they've always sent out a replacement right away.

Rock Auto can only catalog what the manufacturer tells them what their particular part number fits. The least they could do is issue a call tag for the part that was ordered, refund your money and let their supplier(s) know that something is incorrect...with sincere apologies.

My guess is that a '91 hose would be correct for a '92 F-Body. Why GM would re-design a hose assembly just for the '92 model year F-Body doesn't make too much sense to me.

Their catalog is pretty sketch anyway with regards to the AC hose assemblies. It shows that the same hose assembly (55451 4-Seasons; 4811708 GPD) is used on '87 thru '91. I know this isn't correct. My '87 has the compressor on the driver side (v-belts) and the hoses run across the back of the radiator then to the condenser and accumulator.

FWIW, I've had very good luck with Rock Auto. I did receive a PS pump that had a broken return hose nipple on the reservoir (plastic). Which ever warehouse sent out the pump put it in just any old Delco box and the pump just rattled around in it across the country. I asked for and received a replacement reservoir for no charge.