Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Clearcoat stripping ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clearcoat stripping ????

The clearcoat on the top surface of my car is really really oxidized.

With great care i removed 99% of it from the roof and rear hatch cover with a single edge razor scraper.

It took patience, but it was VERY time consuming.

I noticed that JCWhitney sells a clear coat stripper. Are there any other strippers that ONLY strip the clear coat and leave the color coat in tact.

I now face having to do the hood and I dread all the time it will take. I have considered just belt sanding it down and
shooting rpimer,color,bascoat, but I want to keep paint costs low.

I bought the car for $1900 with 80000 miles and it is exceptionally nice except for the upper surface clearcoat. it is all original and everything works except the heater and power antenna so it is worth sprucing up a little, but ...

An estimate for a complete repaint came in
at $1800. The guy is exceptionally good.

Obviously there are MAACO, EARL SCHIEB, and ALLPRO to consider. i will probably use them eventually, but i am guessing that by doing all the prep work myself I MAY be able to get a shop to agree to respray the color coat and clearcoat on the top surface for about $300.

That would be a reasonable cost to put into a car like this.

there are other alternatives like continuing on my path, filling in any nicks, and then using a spray can touch up to overspray the area. i could then take this down to have it clearcoated.

I know that clearcoat magnifies ANY paint imperfection, but that is OK. I keep this car outside so trying to keep perfect paint would be just too intensive for the value of the car.

It is basically a twice a week, weekekend driven car. It is an 88 Sport Coupe and I like it.

I need to improve the appearance wihout shelling out a lot of dough. The Roof looks at least twice as good with the clearcoat off and a thorough sanding with 1000 grit. i keep it waxed REAL well so the color coat is holding up well.

Any ideas or help are appreciated.
Old 01-27-2001, 04:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: Built 383 TPI
Transmission: Built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, 3.27:1 Posi
Oh, man, Not agian. Come on, I know that you don't know too much about paint, so I'll go easy.

$1800 is a very good price for a repaint, first of all. I usually charge $6000.

Second, don't worry about just the clear, shoot the whole thing over.

Third, use sand paper, wet, instead of a razor. Who told you to use a razor?

You're on the right track, ask around this board, and you won't get lost. There are alot of people here that will help you.

But, I've got to ask a favor. Please buy a book on body work, then decide if you want to do it yourself.

I restore antique cars, and I love doing body work. So I'm not trying to dis you, but get rid of that blade.

If you have anymore "?"s just ask.

And, Macco, and all of those others are good enough. Read all of the other posts on them.

------------------
'82 Firebird, dead stock, 9 bolt disc rear, over 200,000 miles and still going strong, more to come...
http://www.spinfrenzy.com/stingerssx...easures.html#4