Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

factory cassette radio to aftermarket CD what's involved?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 4 Speed Automatic
factory cassette radio to aftermarket CD what's involved?

I have a 1991 Camaro RS. It has the factory radio in it and it only has cassette capabilities aside from AM/FM. I want to swap to something new with a USB input or CD at least. I'm a total newbie with electrical so bare with me.

Is the radio hooked up to a computer in the car? Is the computer going to be able to handle the new radio? With the new radio having a CD player or USB will the computer know how to handle the commands such as starting a CD? Again,I don't even consider myself a beginner in electrical,so sorry for the really stupid question.

Last edited by '91CamaroRS; 03-19-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Re: factory cassette radio to aftermarket CD what's involved?

Let me see if I can help you with some basics, and others will chime in if I leave anything out.
Swapping out the radio is actually a pretty straightforward operation, especially if you get an adapter harness so you don't have to figure out what wires in the factory set up do what function.
The radio is in no way connected with the computer in the car.
Here is a basic rundown of what you will need to do this swap:
The stock radio is a size referred to as 1.5 Din or "Din and a half".
There are currently no radios of any measure of quality available in this size, so the easiest way to install a newer radio will be to get a single din radio and use an adapter(which you can get at a variety of places, even for "free" if you buy your radio through Crutchfield.com). You can install a double din radio(think of a larger screen radio you often see in newer cars), but the installation will require some fabrication that I am guessing you aren't necessarily ready to tackle yet.
You will also be best served to get a wiring harness adapter. This will plug directly into your existing wiring harness, so you don't need to cut and splice, or figure out what the factory wires control. Once again, if you buy a radio through Crutchfield, they will include the harness, or offer it at a discounted price.
The output side of the harness will be color coded to match the wiring of your new radio.

I have mentioned Crutchfield a couple of times. You can find better prices at different retailers, but they are a good source for the beginning do it yourself person. They have instruction sheets available to walk you through the process of installing your own equipment, and include(or sell at a discount) any adapters or harnesses you may need to complete an install. They also have tech support you can call or chat with if you run into something in the course of your installation.
While I haven't looked, I am sure there are some videos on Youtube that you could watch to get an idea of what you are getting into.
Hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zane M
Let me see if I can help you with some basics, and others will chime in if I leave anything out.
Swapping out the radio is actually a pretty straightforward operation, especially if you get an adapter harness so you don't have to figure out what wires in the factory set up do what function.
There are currently no radios of any measure of quality available in this size, so the easiest way to install a newer radio will be to get a single din radio and use an adapter(which you can get at a variety of places, even for "free" if you buy your radio through Crutchfield.com). You can install a double din radio(think of a larger screen radio you often see in newer cars), but the installation will require some fabrication that I am guessing you aren't necessarily ready to tackle yet.
You will also be best served to get a wiring harness adapter. This will plug directly into your existing wiring harness, so you don't need to cut and splice, or figure out what the factory wires control. Once again, if you buy a radio through Crutchfield, they will include the harness, or offer it at a discounted price.
The output side of the harness will be color coded to match the wiring of your new radio.

I have mentioned Crutchfield a couple of times. You can find better prices at different retailers, but they are a good source for the beginning do it yourself person. They have instruction sheets available to walk you through the process of installing your own equipment, and include(or sell at a discount) any adapters or harnesses you may need to complete an install. They also have tech support you can call or chat with if you run into something in the course of your installation.
While I haven't looked, I am sure there are some videos on Youtube that you could watch to get an idea of what you are getting into.
This helped a bunch! Thank you so much!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: V8 5.0L HO (L69)
Transmission: B&W T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 limited slip

Or you could modifiy the unit and add an auxiliary input. That way you can plug in any device with a 3.5 jack to you factory unit, totally invisble and no quality loss compared with adapters or FM transmitters. The mod shouldn't cost more than $5 and a bit of time.

It's not very complicated it's mostly the matter of soldering a switchable 3.5 jack to a few wires in the unit. But since you said you don't know anything about electronics it might no be the best idea.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

I replaced mine Just as "91CamaroRS" suggested. Buying the adapter that connects to the stock wiring harness/connecter then connects to my "Kenwood Deck".

I used the installation kit for it,( the plastic that holds and surrounds the new player.
At that time cut the speaker wires that went into the stock dash speakers and soldered on new wires that went to my "newly fabricated" door speakers.

I bought them both at Oreilles Auto parts.

Link = http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...%26+components

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 03-22-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zane M

Hey man,just got my JVC KDR470 in the mail today with the antenna adapter,the 1.5 DIN adapter,and the wiring connecter. I got it all in the car and working in 2 1/2 hours,and it sounds great! Thank you again for recommending them!
Old 04-01-2016, 11:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1991 RS
Engine: LB9 LO3
Transmission: 5 speeds

Congrats on sticking with the many projects you've taken on with this car. Have followed all your different threads to get this car going, but I don't think I've seen any pictures of it. Post up a few pics and show off all you've accomplished.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ty92Z
Congrats on sticking with the many projects you've taken on with this car. Have followed all your different threads to get this car going, but I don't think I've seen any pictures of it. Post up a few pics and show off all you've accomplished.
Sure thing! It's nothing great looking but its special to me. I'll get some pics tomorrow in the sunlight. I definitely couldn't have gotten the car where it is today without the help of everyone on this forum.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5

Glad to hear you got it in and it sounds great!
Old 04-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

http://maptechenterprises.com/storef...products_id=10
Old 04-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

I ordered one from there. Took em about 3 weeks to get it out, but hey... should be here soon!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

Originally Posted by thtanner
I ordered one from there. Took em about 3 weeks to get it out, but hey... should be here soon!
I bought mine back in 2009 and I am buying a new one for my new radio