DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Closed loop is kicking my butt!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac
Closed loop is kicking my butt!

I am having trouble getting closed loop to work on my EBL system. I'm sure it's not the system but the programmer. Can I use the basic ideas in Bob's "ECM Proportional Control" paper an apply it to the EBL? Also, with the EBL Flash, doesn't it have only one "cell" for cruise?

I'm having problems getting this all straightened out. If you check my sig the combo isn't really too radical. It should run just fine in closed loop. Currently I can get a particular rpm/load about right then a different load is either rich or lean. It seems I'm all over the place so I am going to start over (again). Complicating this whole dilemma is the changing ambient temperatures so I'm not just chasing close loop fueling but IAT/CT blend issues and not to mention what my engine "wants". So many variables that are constantly changing and I can't seem to find a starting place.

Maybe I just need to work on my interior until the weather warms up enough to at least stabilize one variable lol
Old 01-26-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Closed loop is kicking my butt!

This is going to sound strange, or maybe, I don't know. But you are correct, walk away for a bit and return later with a fresh mind. It really does make a difference. Gives one a chance to relax and get away from it.

Doing the interior sounds good. A couple of years ago I changed out the seats in my '92. Was a nice break as it is something different then the usual work on the car.

RBob.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Yeah it takes time and need breaks occassionally. But if you have a air fuel distribution issue that changes with throttle and load that may have some influence on the tune and be harder to get right
Old 01-27-2015, 07:19 AM
Supreme Member

Yes, gentlemen I agree. (granpa used to say go fishin)

I have more serious problems than I knew about when I posted this. As Orr eluded to I have a serious overfueling problem on the back 4 cyls and so I'm gonna go back to the basics and work my way up. Next is a compression check and leakdown test. I'll work my way up from there. I may still change projects for a while as I can't do anything about the weather conditions and it does add changing variables which complicate the process. But when I can't even drive the vehicle to work because it runs like crap it's like a splinter in my mind and I can't stop picking at it lol.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RBob
This is going to sound strange, or maybe, I don't know. But you are correct, walk away for a bit and return later with a fresh mind. It really does make a difference. Gives one a chance to relax and get away from it.

Doing the interior sounds good. A couple of years ago I changed out the seats in my '92. Was a nice break as it is something different then the usual work on the car.

RBob.
Please don't take this wrong Bob but this is one of the nicest replies you made to one of my posts. Not that there's ever been anything wrong with the others but it's less technical and almost social. I'm sure you get a bazillion questions about how X affects Z so I can understand how you may get into a technical mode at times. It's good to see this side of you. I have been worried at times about bothering you with "stupid" question, especially when I later find the answer in a document you've provided. I genuinely appreciate all your help. And Orr SL and a host of others too.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by antman89iroc
Please don't take this wrong Bob but this is one of the nicest replies you made to one of my posts. Not that there's ever been anything wrong with the others but it's less technical and almost social. I'm sure you get a bazillion questions about how X affects Z so I can understand how you may get into a technical mode at times. It's good to see this side of you. I have been worried at times about bothering you with "stupid" question, especially when I later find the answer in a document you've provided. I genuinely appreciate all your help. And Orr SL and a host of others too.
Bob is a great guy! Hoping to meet up with him this Spring at e-town...