DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Engine Dies on Clutch Depress

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Dies on Clutch Depress

I have an odd ball setup... Pontiac 4 cylinder, with big duration aftermarket cam,and Dual TBI from a 4.3 V6 I am using EBL Flash (which is awesome) but I'm a newb with a lot to learn.

Currently engine is running rich, and I am doing VE Learns to correct this and very slowly its getting better.

Car idles fine when it is first started up. (Cold or Warm start, is OK either way)

Problem is that when I drive the car, and roll up to a stop, clutch depressed, the RPMS will drop very low and it will frequently die, if I don't give it some throttle.

I have raised up the Stall Saver setting, but that has not improved the problem. In the data log, I can see the IAC opening more when the RPMs drop, as I would expect.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this sort of problem?

FWIW, my IAC count at idle is around 70. I have seen some posts indicating this is OK with a big cam, while others seem to say I should turn the throttle adjustment screw and reset the IAC so that counts are much much lower. Not sure if this would have any bearing on my problem or not, since it idles fine at start up.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Engine Dies on Clutch Depress

At idle on a warm engine the IAC counts need to be in the 5 - 10 step range. This is with no other loads on the engine.

RBob.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
At idle on a warm engine the IAC counts need to be in the 5 - 10 step range. This is with no other loads on the engine.

RBob.
Thanks. What is the recommended way to lower the counts? I assume I could use the set screw on the throttle body to crack the blades and perform the TPS reset, but isn't that like introducing a vacuum leak?

Will lowering the counts at idle help with stalling problem on clutch in??
Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10

You need to set Min Air throttle opening to get proper idle IAC counts.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:17 PM
COTM Editor

Received 184 Likes on 124 Posts
Car: 91/89/85/82 Z28s, 88 TA, 88/88 SC
Engine: SBC and LS variations

i was having a similar problem recently starting up my ZZ5 350 with new EBL Flash which as you noted is really awesome...

RBob gave me similar advice and after adjusting the set screw for the throttle blade to get the IAC count down it has helped dramatically (i adjusted 3/4 of a turn so far, my IAC counts were ~75 with the fan on)... i still don't have it quite set right yet as haven't had a ton of time, but at least in my experience getting that a lot lower definately helps with at speed clutch depress stalls, stop stalls, etc
Old 07-27-2015, 07:29 PM

Thanks Alan, I'll give that a try.

I was also noticing in the data log that AE was being activated during these times when the RPM was dropping below desired idle speed. Is there any need to mess with something like the AE-MAP PW, or will the adjusting the throttle blades alone do the trick?
Old 07-29-2015, 07:59 PM

Thanks to Rbob. He is the man. Cracking my throttle adjustment screw and getting my IAC count down at idle took car of my dying problem. Its not perfect, but much much better. (Now I'll need to start a new thread on my backfiring problem)