Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Help with Brake Switch / Torque Converter Wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Z28 / 87 IROC-Z / 95 Z28
Engine: LG4 / LG4 / LT1
Transmission: 200C / 700R4 / T56
Axle/Gears: 3.08 / 3.23 / 3.42
Help with Brake Switch / Torque Converter Wire

Simple question...if someone has their dash already apart and doesn't mind taking a peak underneath.

Had the trans rebuilt recently...then afterwards was blowing fuses. Only way to solve it was to disconnect the pink / purple wire that ties into the brake switch. Turns out a wire got pinched in the bellhousing. Problem solved...except now I can't remember which way it's supposed to be plugged in. Pink on top or purple on top? I don't even know if my torque converter lockup works...I can't figure it out even after trying both ways.

So my question...which way is UP!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: Help with Brake Switch / Torque Converter Wire

In this case it doesn't matter 'which way is up" !!

One wire ( Pink/Black ) is power in and the other wire ( purple ) is power out. As long as the plug is connected, it should work as it should. Power is supplied when your not on the brake, and the circuit is open when the brake is pushed.

If the tranny wires got pinched and were shorting out then they will need to be repaired before your lock-up will work again. ( assuming the lock-up solenoid inside the tranny still works after being shorted out. )

Old 10-24-2014, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Z28 / 87 IROC-Z / 95 Z28
Engine: LG4 / LG4 / LT1
Transmission: 200C / 700R4 / T56
Axle/Gears: 3.08 / 3.23 / 3.42
Re: Help with Brake Switch / Torque Converter Wire

Cool; that's good to know! Here's the backstory.

Had the trans removed by shop A, rebuilt by shop B, and then reinstalled by Shop A. All seemed good; then a week after I got it back it started popping the gauge fuse over and over. Thanks to my friends on TGO; I found a post saying to unplug this connector on the brake switch. Voila...no more fuses. Take it back to Shop A and they tell me the other end of the wire that goes to the Trans was not even plugged in when they car came in at the start (so it's been unhooked for at least 5 years), so they did not plug it in when they reinstalled the trans. So good thing there; there was no way the short did any damage to the trans.

But here is where it gets weird...at least I think so. I had a mild shift kit installed while it was open. When I got the car back I thought it was WAY too rough; the car would really throw my head back when it shifted out of 1-2. But last night when everything got plugged back in; it seemed to settle the shifts down a bit. It's still firm; but no where near as jarring as before. Would that make sense? I still don't think lockup occurs though; although I only went out for a quick 10 minute blast to test. What speed do I need to be going for that and does it happen after it's been cruising for "x" period of time or should it be pretty much right as I get to speed? I'm going to drive the car to work today to try it out again...

Thanks for your answer John!