Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

LED tail/brake lights all blink w/ left turn signal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: L69
Transmission: T5
LED tail/brake lights all blink w/ left turn signal?

Hi all,

I have a problem I'm hoping someone has seen before (and knows a fix for!). My car is a 1984 TA.

I just put in Pilot 1157 LED rear brake/turn signal bulbs. They seem to be working fine except in one instance;

If I signal a left turn, with the headlights off, all six of the rear signal bulb blink in unison. If I signal a right turn, only the right bulbs blink. If the headlights are the rear bulbs work as would be expected.

This has something to do with the LEDs since if I put the old bulbs back in the left side of the car everything works normally.

Any ideas what might be going on and why it's only happening for left turns?

Thanks,

John
Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
Re: LED tail/brake lights all blink w/ left turn signal?

Did you upgrade the flashers to LED electronic or add load resistors to the LED bulbs?

You need to do one or the other, persoanlly I would do the flasher upgrade then you dont have to cut the stock wiring up. The LEDs use much less current than incandescent and therefore the very little load is not enough to trip the flasher.

Im in the process of doing the same type of swap but I'm not going to use the TA harness on my formula as Ive heard its not neccessary and it causes wiring issues up in the panel (you need to swap some wire bc its different between the 2 models. The easier way is to use the OEM harness of that car and spice into one of the wires for a running light.

I'm looking at 2 pin electronic flashers that are adjustable so I can set the blink speed, they are for motorcycles but should work on cars... just unsure.