Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto 4L60
Headlight issues

So I bought these aftermarket projector lights http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-4X6-Chro...RRIRTB:US:3160

Install was easy, lights absolutely SUCKED!!! No projection whatsoever...it was like the light just scattered every which way except forward. So not only did I bitch to company and got my money back, but figured I'd try a different bulb, H4 12v 100/90w, (which is what they originally came with) but a different brand...anyhow the lights actually worked and I could see again. However with brights on after a few seconds to a minute or so all 4 go dim and start flickering. Any ideas? Has anyone done a headlight conversion to H4 HID or LED? This kit came with no instructions (just the housing, bulb, and 3 prong plug/harness) nor recommendations for ballasts etc. I'm looking to order a set of Sylvania Silverstar 4651/4656 OEM replacements but figured I'd ask. Thanks
Old 05-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Headlight issues

Did you put in a relay system to handle the increase in power draw that the stock system cannot handle at all? If not, you need to . Here's an article from the how-tos (lots of good stuff in there) that should help. You can get these pre-made from Summit or several other sources.
https://www.thirdgen.org/headlightupgrade/
Henry
Old 05-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

You'll be better off going with the silver stars.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by 84 1LE
You'll be better off going with the silver stars.
Yea leaning that way...I do dig the look of these but being in Tokyo and dealing with translation issues and shipping...think I'm hitting amazon and being DONE!
Old 05-20-2016, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by henryd3
Did you put in a relay system to handle the increase in power draw that the stock system cannot handle at all? If not, you need to . Here's an article from the how-tos (lots of good stuff in there) that should help. You can get these pre-made from Summit or several other sources.
https://www.thirdgen.org/headlightupgrade/
Henry
THANKS for the info....no haven't done this, will look into it ASAP; hopefully can get what I need locally (Tokyo) without too much lost in translation issues
Old 05-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Originally Posted by B1CrwDwg
Yea leaning that way...I do dig the look of these but being in Tokyo and dealing with translation issues and shipping...think I'm hitting amazon and being DONE!
Without going the projector retrofit route, silverstars are next best way.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:42 PM

Car: 1982 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: GM crate motor Goodwrench 5.7 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I spent a solid year in search of the best lighting for my car, different sealed beams and then H4 setup, I was overly satisfied with a retrofitted projector setup in the end. The Silverstars are the best sealed beam though IMHO.

As far as the H4 conversion, most of the ebay housings you see with the "projector lens" are not actually created to reflect the light properly.

Each style housing has its own way to send the light out...

Sealed beams use the refraction of the light in its lenses, which is why the glass is all oddly patterned.

H4 and similar halogen bulbs will use reflection of the interior mirrors to send out the light, but for it to be done properly they need the small solid cap in the center of the housing, otherwise it loses most of its light. This is why your headlights were so terrible, they had a false projector instead of the cap which allowed the light to pass through it instead of reflecting back to the mirrors and then outward.

True HID projection systems will use a concentrated beam created by an actual convex lens to send the light out in a circular pattern, and a metal plate is used to cut off the light midway up, the plate is moved out of the way when the high beam switch is activated.

I haven't researched LED systems to see how they work so I have no input on them.

They all have their pros and cons as far as quality vs price vs ease of use etc. I would recommend the HID projector setup, its more expensive by a long shot and takes some extra wiring but the amount of light it puts out and the bulbs are supposed to last the lifetime of a vehicle. If not that, the H4 conversions with proper housing and the wiring modified is still better than most sealed beams and isnt too hard on the wallet either.