Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Removing Aftermarket Alarm System - Cut Wire to Starter??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Removing Aftermarket Alarm System - Cut Wire to Starter??

tl;dr - when removing aftermarket alarm, I don't know how to wire these to get the starter to turn over. The whole story:

I need a little assistance. So I'm removing one of those horrid aftermarket alarm systems from my car. I've gotten to a point where almost everything is out, except I've done something that won't let my car start - basically it seems as if I've cut the wire from the ignition to the starter (or distributer) I think. I've attached a picture of the wires in question for reference.

Essentially, I have three wires sticking out that I have no idea what they do. The blue circled and red circled wires, when spliced, enable the starter to turn, but when I let go of the key the ignition doesn't stop until I turn the key to acc, and the car never starts. The blue circled one was spliced in and I can't figure out the wire it's spliced to. Then the yellow circled one hangs out and I can't figure out what it does.

Just fyi, the red circled one is a smaller violet wire with a white stripe, the blue circled wire goes into the casing and I don't know what wire it's spliced to, and the yellow circled wire is a thicker violet wire with a black stripe.

(For location reference, this is on the firewall, the brake booster is on the right side and the driver's side valve cover is on the left...)
Old 09-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Removing Aftermarket Alarm System - Cut Wire to Starter??

The large purple wire , the one with the small length of black wire soldered to it , is for certain the one going to your starter solenoid . You need to find the other end of that wire in the harness , a exact same sized and colored wire , and rejoin them using proper wire splicing method . Maybe that smaller purple wire is also someone's soldered in wire extension and that is the big purple you need ? Have you connected just the big and little purple wires together and not connecting the third heavy black one and seeing if the starter functions normally ? In other words , connect the red and yellow circles without connecting the blue circle in with them ?

Last edited by OrangeBird; 09-28-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:26 PM

Car: 1989 trans am gta /2001 Jeep wj

Having just found one of these systems in my car ill post the diagrams I have saved. The previous owners of my car just jumped the white with red stripes too the solid white wire and It runs fine.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Aftermarket Alarm System - Cut Wire to Starter??-screenshot_2016-10-01-12   Removing Aftermarket Alarm System - Cut Wire to Starter??-gmkeylessentry003_zpsa53a34a2.jpg  
Old 10-01-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
Car: 85-6 TA 85IROC 82-6 MSE 15th/83pace
Engine: Slow ones
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: Weak ones

I had the same problem with this on my car luckily all the damage was done to the inside wiring harness.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Best thing to do is to peel back the split-loom, find all the original wires, and hook them back up where they came from, color to color. Eliminate ANY AND ALL aftermarket wiring by following it to its ends (BOTH ends) and cutting, disconnecting, or whatever, and putting whatever factory wiring went to things, back. GET RID OF IT ALL. Isn't usually too hard to tell OE from AM wire; AM is almost always inferior thermoplastic insulation.

I would not "jump", "splice", "cut out", or otherwise sodomize ANYTHING. Put it all back just like it came, as much as possible. Use solder (with rosin-core electronic solder, NOT acid-core plumbing solder) and heat-shrink, preferably the adhesive-lined "marine" type, on everything if possible. Might have to add in a short section here or there to make up any length that the rapists cut out. Make sure you use the same gauge the factory used, or, at least, no smaller, and not too terribly much larger. Wouldn't hurt to use the same colors if you can find it.

In your photo the shiny black wire with the white just below the insulation surface, is not factory. ELIMINATE THEM. Find where they go and RIP THEM OUT.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:59 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Thank you guys! I got it all figured out - the smaller pink one was another aftermarket, and I did finally find where that black one connected back to the starter wire. It's gone - all of it - and it looks great, despite my having to splice new wire in because they cut out about 4" of the original wire . Thanks again!
Old 10-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Wiring is one of the eeeeeeeeezyest things in a car... once you decide you are no longer intimidated by it, it's a piece o cake.

Glad you got it handled!!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

I had one installed and after a time it started acting up.

I took it to a respectable shop and had it all removed for $40.00.
When he handed me a box with it in side it looked like 40 feet of wires and relays, censers, etc. What a mess.

If you want it all gone then pay a pro to do it in 30 minutes and be done with it.

I'm glad I did. I do not like the idea of having all that crap still in there.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 10-03-2016 at 12:38 AM.