Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

subframe connector questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Car: 91 z28
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: lt1 10 bolt 3.23
subframe connector questions

Hey guys, been searching old posts with dead links and pics that are no longer there for awhile now. What would be the best subframe connectors for me to buy? The car is an 88 rs 5 speed I plan to eventually run a vortec 350 in with stock style 3" exhaust and shorties.

From what I have read, it sounds like it's a toss up between UMI, Spohn, Jegs, Global West, and Alston. I saw some people mention S&W, but haven't seen any pics of those. What's the deal with the Alston sfcs? Are people running those with other brands in place as well?

Also the Jegs... Is pn 64714 the ones people keep calling "The Jegsters?" In a thread I read awhile back it sounded like they had two different styles available, these were the only ones I saw listed on their site.

I don't want sfcs that hang way down off the bottom of the car and hit things, and I don't want any exhaust interference. I'm not really interested in spending time to make my own, as I already have a massive amount of work to do on this car. Interior is completely out and I would prefer to weld on the floor now. If anyone has pics of these brands on their car I'd appreciate it if you could post them up, and give me some input.

Thanks,
Cale
Old 10-31-2015, 07:13 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: One owner '88 IROC 50k
Engine: L98 with bolt ons.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 again
Re: subframe connector questions

Originally Posted by 88RS
Hey guys, been searching old posts with dead links and pics that are no longer there for awhile now. What would be the best subframe connectors for me to buy? The car is an 88 rs 5 speed I plan to eventually run a vortec 350 in with stock style 3" exhaust and shorties.

From what I have read, it sounds like it's a toss up between UMI, Spohn, Jegs, Global West, and Alston. I saw some people mention S&W, but haven't seen any pics of those. What's the deal with the Alston sfcs? Are people running those with other brands in place as well?

Also the Jegs... Is pn 64714 the ones people keep calling "The Jegsters?" In a thread I read awhile back it sounded like they had two different styles available, these were the only ones I saw listed on their site.

I don't want sfcs that hang way down off the bottom of the car and hit things, and I don't want any exhaust interference. I'm not really interested in spending time to make my own, as I already have a massive amount of work to do on this car. Interior is completely out and I would prefer to weld on the floor now. If anyone has pics of these brands on their car I'd appreciate it if you could post them up, and give me some input.

Thanks,
Cale
I have the UMI ones for stock exhaust (forget the part #) welded in. Cost me about $250 at a local well regarded body shop to do them with the car on their frame rack to make sure car was square and level. Best money I have spent on the car. They tuck up under the car so nothing hangs down
Old 10-31-2015, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

When the time comes I'm buying the UMI's.
Here's a link to them. Take a look at the photos at the bottom of the page.

= http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=127
Old 11-01-2015, 01:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

I'm really happy with my spohn SFC. I can't say about the exhaust clearance though as I'm running custom true duals.

The spohn units tuck up tight to the body, don't hang down really at all. With ground effects on my car, I can not see them from the side view at all.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:11 AM

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
Car: 85-6 TA 85IROC 82-6 MSE 15th/83pace
Engine: Slow ones
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: Weak ones

Anyone know of a good shop near Chicago to install them? I have umi ones but cannot find a shop.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Originally Posted by t/aws61985
Anyone know of a good shop near Chicago to install them? I have umi ones but cannot find a shop.
Try small privately owned Muffler shops. Just ask them if they do or have they done an installation.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by t/aws61985
Check with Speed Inc, great guys!
Old 11-05-2015, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the responses. I was kind of leaning towards the UMI connectors initially. My only concern is the exhaust clearance. I plan to run 3" exhaust in the factory location. In the picture on the UMI site it looks like the pipe is close, and I am doubting it's 3" in diameter.

Can anyone with 3" exhaust chime in on this before I place my order? I'd appreciate it.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen rear with 3.42

I have the Alston's and I am happy with them. No issues.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:10 PM

Again...

Do the UMI subframe connectors clear a 3" y pipe okay? I'm ready to buy them, but my car is completely apart and I don't want any surprises later on.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

There is rarely any problems with our sub frame connectors and 3" exhaust.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=127

The right side brace as shown in the picture if you enlarge it can be optional if there would happen to be a clearance issue.

In a nut shell we haven't had any major issues as far as clearance with our SFC's.

Craig
Old 11-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 90 Formula / T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: MD8

Originally Posted by UMI Sales

The right side brace as shown in the picture if you enlarge it can be optional if there would happen to be a clearance issue.

In a nut shell we haven't had any major issues as far as clearance with our SFC's.

Craig
Thanks Craig - Are you able to link us to install directions? I'm curious where all the weld points are located and if carpet needs removed. Also, do you have the total weight of the assembly?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by UMI Sales

Craig
Thanks Craig, I figured 3" exhaust was common enough on these cars. Didn't mean to drag this out, I'm just really ocd anymore over proper fitment after all the issues I've had with aftermarket parts in general for my other car. I appreciate UMI's presence on the forum. Just ordered a black set of your subframe connectors now.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Supreme Member

UMI is pretty good with fitment.... But let me give you a little advise that I learnt a long time ago and it helped my stress levels a lot..

No aftermarket parts are going to fit perfect.
No bolt on part will ever just bolt right on.

If you understand this and buy each item knowing that, you will be less stressed out when something needs a tad of fab work to fit.

A member on another site that I'm on made a joke years ago... Something to the nature of...

"yes rest assured, those bolt on bolts will simply bolt on as long as you own a 6' tall 48" wide tool chest packed will tools, drills, drill press, grinders, cutting torch, mig welder, tig welder, plasma cutter, and a bridgeport mill"
The following users liked this post:
Tidan (02-25-2020)
Old 11-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 88RS
Thanks Craig, I figured 3" exhaust was common enough on these cars. Didn't mean to drag this out, I'm just really ocd anymore over proper fitment after all the issues I've had with aftermarket parts in general for my other car. I appreciate UMI's presence on the forum. Just ordered a black set of your subframe connectors now.
Thanks for the order!

Not a problem answering any questions you guys have this is why we are here.

Sometimes problems do arise as far as fitment issues go.
We always try to work with the customer when this happens.
Most of the time a solution can be reached to make it fit proper if not we always stand behind our product and try to make every customer happy.

Craig
Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Night rider327
UMI is pretty good with fitment.... But let me give you a little advise that I learnt a long time ago and it helped my stress levels a lot..

No aftermarket parts are going to fit perfect.
No bolt on part will ever just bolt right on.

If you understand this and buy each item knowing that, you will be less stressed out when something needs a tad of fab work to fit.

A member on another site that I'm on made a joke years ago... Something to the nature of...

"yes rest assured, those bolt on bolts will simply bolt on as long as you own a 6' tall 48" wide tool chest packed will tools, drills, drill press, grinders, cutting torch, mig welder, tig welder, plasma cutter, and a bridgeport mill"
This could be my new favorite quote!!!!! lol

You are exactly correct! Because of factory tolerances and design variances it sometimes becomes very difficult to manufacture direct bolts on products that fit every car.

We are constantly tweeking products to fit every application as problems arise.

Craig
Old 11-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

UMI should fit without difficulty if your car hasn't been hit or twisted. I have UMI connectors for my vert (yet to attach but have dry fitted them) and the passenger side front might be off a little but the vert has the factory outer connectors and that's what's causing the possible small issue. As for weld points, that easy: weld them everywhere and anywhere you can. Don't choose only to weld them at the front and rear, stitch weld them to the entire floor pan if/where it's close enough and you will increase the vehicles rigidity. If you stitch weld them and skip around several feet you shouldn't need to pull the carpet.

Last edited by Tibo; 11-22-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Tidan (02-25-2020)
Old 11-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tibo
As for weld points, that easy: weld them everywhere and anywhere you can. Don't choose only to weld them at the front and rear, stitch weld them to the entire floor pan if/where it's close enough and you will increase the vehicles rigidity. If you stick weld them and skip around several feet you shouldn't need to pull the carpet.
Thanks for the input on weld points. I am wanting to minimize weld points if I was wanting to install SFC at all. I hesitant as it is to install SFC, due to changing a factory car. I'm sure there are others around here that feel the same way. Any mods I ever do I want them to be reversible and all parts would be saved. I've owned the car since 1992 and never done anything to it, its been in storage since 93. The SFC are an modification I am considering because it could potentially extend the life of other parts of the car, i.e. dash, doors, ect......., making the trade-off worth it. But I would still want the option to remove them and having weld points all over the place would make this even more difficult. I have no intentions of racing the car, I have another car for that purpose. I just want to drive it, maybe with some spirited driving at times.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:36 PM
Supreme Member

Great photo of some subframe connectors (or at least appears to be )

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...-car-lift.html
Old 11-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
Thanks for the input on weld points. I am wanting to minimize weld points if I was wanting to install SFC at all. I hesitant as it is to install SFC, due to changing a factory car. I'm sure there are others around here that feel the same way. Any mods I ever do I want them to be reversible and all parts would be saved. I've owned the car since 1992 and never done anything to it, its been in storage since 93. The SFC are an modification I am considering because it could potentially extend the life of other parts of the car, i.e. dash, doors, ect......., making the trade-off worth it. But I would still want the option to remove them and having weld points all over the place would make this even more difficult. I have no intentions of racing the car, I have another car for that purpose. I just want to drive it, maybe with some spirited driving at times.
There are bolt in types of subframe connectors BUT they will not work as well as welded in connectors nor as well as welded in having the sides stitch welded. The vert cars came with half-assed outer subframe connectors so you could have a welding shop make you a set and only a serious Thirdgen guy or know it all car appraiser would ever know. Subframe really should be the first thing anybody does to these cars as it can prevent so many problems. Imo it's going to be another 15+ years before these cars in stock form can demand $20,000 and by that time the car may be worth more because it did and does have connectors.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87' IROC

I bought UMI sfcs for my IROC to take the flex and twist out of the picture. Going to weld them every place I can.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Banned

We have our annual Black Friday Sale starting this Wednesday so you could save some $$$!!!!

Craig
Old 12-02-2015, 11:29 PM

delete.

Last edited by Blizzard Bill; 12-04-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

Hey Bill. What do you mean by squaring up? If your near Austin, I might let you put some on my baby
Old 12-03-2015, 11:55 PM

delete

Last edited by Blizzard Bill; 12-04-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Blizzard Bill
LB, Before any fitting or welding is done, you want the car sitting square and level. both forward and aft, and left to right. When connectors get welded in if the body is not level your welding in a permanent twist into the platform. I don't want all the weight of the car sitting on the tires ,nor do I want all the weight on four corners of the body and the suspension just hanging. ( like on a lift). I use an ordinary 4 foot carpenters level and work off the rocker panels and the bottoms of the door jams.
The only Austin I know is in TX. That's a pretty good commute to middle GA.!! Check around with drag racers and see if you can find a local chassis shop or individual.
As long as driver and passenger side are level the front and back don't need to be. 4' carpenter level probably wouldn't be good enough unless it has a digital angle finder and is qc to be within a fractional limit. Short of expensive (not typical diy tool store) laser levels the best way is a water level.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Supreme Member

hmmm, hadn't thought about all this. Would another way to make sure it is level is to rest the chassis of the car on a straight beams with wheels hanging free?
Old 12-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
hmmm, hadn't thought about all this. Would another way to make sure it is level is to rest the chassis of the car on a straight beams with wheels hanging free?
You need ensure whatever it rests on is directly under the a arm mount and lca frame vicinity and can be exactly leveled to each other.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

My wife spilled the beans and told me she got me the 2004's. I'm excited but have no clue where to take them to get installed.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z-28
Engine: 383 Gen I SBC 11:1
Transmission: Rebuilt TH700R4 for 500+HP
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt Eaton Truetrac 3.23

I have the UMI 2400's. I bought them years ago intending to put them on. Now I have a 4th Gen rear end. Will they still bolt on and be a proper fit?
Old 12-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by UltRoadWarrior9
I have the UMI 2400's. I bought them years ago intending to put them on. Now I have a 4th Gen rear end. Will they still bolt on and be a proper fit?
Yes.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by daferris
I have the UMI ones for stock exhaust (forget the part #) welded in. Cost me about $250 at a local well regarded body shop to do them with the car on their frame rack to make sure car was square and level. Best money I have spent on the car. They tuck up under the car so nothing hangs down
$250 just for labor? Is this what most of you paid to have them installed?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by CharcoalBird
There are lots of variables involved. Is the welder certified? Are they removing carpet? Are they stitch welding them? Tig or mig? Big city or rural area? Just call around, tell them it's not an asap job so they can keep it 2-3 days and save you a little.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by CharcoalBird
There are lots of variables involved. Is the welder certified? Are they removing carpet? Are they stitch welding them? Tig or mig? Big city or rural area? Just call around, tell them it's not an asap job so they can keep it 2-3 days and save you a little.
One quote I have locally is for $250. That's with ME getting the seats and carpet out of the way. And it's from a shop that builds race chassis. They actually had a 3rd gen. they were putting a cage in the day I stopped to talk to them about it. Looked like they were doing nice were, so that was reassuring.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

This is a major reason why you (or any car person) should think about getting a mig welder.

You can get a new Hobart 140 amp mig welder for $500, rent your shielding gas bottle for $15 a mo. and pay $35 to have it filled with gas. You will have that welder for the next 20+ years and use it MANY times.

You can look around and find a good used one for $250-350.

Once you have a welder and practice with it you then can weld all kinds of things like SFC, LCA brackets, box your LCAs, roll bar, exhaust, etc
Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 AM
Supreme Member

This is a major reason why you (or any car person) should think about getting a mig welder.

You can get a new Hobart 140 amp mig welder for $500, rent your shielding gas bottle for $15 a mo. and pay $35 to have it filled with gas. You will have that welder for the next 20+ years and use it MANY times.

Once you have a welder and practice with it you then can weld all kinds of things like SFC, LCA brackets, box your LCAs, roll bar, exhaust, etc
I'll definitely second that advice. I bought an Eastwood mig welder that had a three year full warranty and it has been great and was only $300 I believe. Not a single problem. Ahp offers the same welder for a near identical price. Only thing I would say differently is to buy a used tank from Craigslist. Some places will allow you to exchange a propane tank for a welding tank. But they are few.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

I'll definitely second that advice. I bought an Eastwood mig welder that had a three year full warranty and it has been great and was only $300 I believe. Not a single problem. Ahp offers the same welder for a near identical price. Only thing I would say differently is to buy a used tank from Craigslist. Some places will allow you to exchange a propane tank for a welding tank. But they are few.
I will most likely do this as I have been wanting to learn how to weld.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Supreme Member

Cool deal, I truly belive that is the best route to go. I have been welding since I was a teenage, but it was with stick and flux core. So when I went to install my roll cage, NHRA says it much be mig or tig welded. My idea was to fit and tack all bars in place and call a pro out to mig them up. I called around and I think the cheapest I could find was like $650

At that point I said the heck with that and bought my holbart mig and welded up my cage. At that time I rented a 140 cf bottle from my welding supply shop. 6 mo. contract, $10 per mo. After that 6 mo. contract was up, I just bought the bottle out right from them.

Man I can't tell you how much I have used this welder and all what I have done with it. Having a good mig welder IMHO is a must have.
I have built a welding cart, steel work bench, 8' long car trailer ramps, fixed all kinds of broke tools, just last week I welded our mail box lid hinge back on where someone ripped the door off the box.
Welded in my SFC, LCA relocating brackets, exhaust on 5 of our own cars and atleast 10 for friends. My roll cage, built 2 go carts, and that is just scratching the surface of things I have done with this welder.
Tidan (02-25-2020)