Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

ac not blowing

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: v6 3.1
Transmission: Automatic
ac not blowing

Not sure if this should be in cooling or not since cooling seems to be for radiators. But my a.c won't blow and seems to start to blow when I play with the grey plug to the left or some of the wires in the back with the electrical tape what is it exactly that seems to the issue that I would have to do to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails ac not blowing-imag1326.jpg  

Last edited by SparksAj; 11-23-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: ac not blowing

The grey plug is the power supply to the entire HVAC system. (except the high speed of the blower)

Unplug it, and you will see the most unbelievably STOOOOOPID connector design EVAH. One of the prime rules of connector design (yes I'm an electrical engineer) is that the metal parts must provide the spring tension to hold the connection established, and the plastic (wood plastic rubber ceramic glass whatever) connector body must only support the metal parts and insulate them. The connector in the pic violates that rule egregiously. The plastic connector body maintains the tension on the connection, which is to say, FAILS to maintain the tension. Then, since plastic cold-flows, and hot-flows even more, when the tension is reduced, the connection becomes worse; the poorer connection generates more heat; the heat softens the plastic; the softer plastic reduces the connector tension; the reduced tension causes a poorer connection; the poorer connection generates more heat; the heat softens the plastic; the softer plastic reduces the connector tension; .... not too hard to see where this is going.

Cut that stooooooopid worthless crap out of your car and replace it with a set of the BIG FAT THICK WIDE HEAVY-DUTY yellow slide terminals. Not, the little teeny weenie yellow slide terminal that are the same as the blue and red ones; use only the BIG FAT THICK WIDE HEAVY-DUTY ones. Insulated is best. If you can't find em insulated, wrap em up real good with electrical tape.

Next, go under the hood, and locate the blower motor. Find its purple wire and follow it to a plug that goes into a small box (the high-speed relay). In the same wiring harness you will find a BIG FAT red wire. Follow that wire along the windshield cowl. About right above the right valve cover, you will come to another one of the same incredibly STOOOOOOPID connectors, which will be EQUALLY wasted, probably burnt to ash like the gray one is inside. Replace that one as well.

Here's a pic somebody else posted in the last coupla days of their underhood one, just to prime your thought pump. Observe that in his particular model of car (there is some variation in this by model), the blower motor ground actually goes through the same connector, for reasons known only to Боже and the ignorant inexperienced drunk party-dog engineering co-op summer intern that "designed" it. In the case in the pic, it was the ground side that took the blower completely out of service. If your car also routes ground through the connector, do away with that, and bond the blower ground wire directly to the screw on the firewall where the braided ground strap goes (less than an inch away, and where it should have gone in the first place, had the aforementioned intern not screwed it up; also clearly visible in the pic), with a nice big fat heavy-duty yellow ring terminal.
Attached Thumbnails ac not blowing-typical-wasted-blower-motor  

Last edited by sofakingdom; 11-23-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:26 PM

Earlier I tried to unplug it and couldn't seem to figure it out, seems kind of odd. So you don't think it has anything to do with the big circle thing that the plug and all the wires in back connect to?(not sure what its called) I'm going to try and mess with it in a few hours. Appreciate the help thus far
Old 11-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Unplug it.

When you finally get the melted-together parts to let go of each other and see the ashes fall out, it'll make more sense.

No it's not the big round thing.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:19 AM

Never took off a plug like that before but I got it. Looks pretty burnt, no ash though
Attached Thumbnails ac not blowing-imag1328.jpg  
Old 11-24-2014, 06:56 AM
Supreme Member

Pretty silly way to design a connector, eh?

They often get ALOT worse than that before they quit working altogether.

Chop it off, replace it with something more sensible, then do the same out there under the hood. Most likely your problem will disappear.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:05 PM

Car: 2011 Silverado LTZ, 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.3L (LTZ), 3.1L (RS)
Transmission: Auto

Sorry to hijack, but would this cause intermittent blower issues as well? My blower motor started going in and out recently and I checked for voltage at the motor and it was reading true. I gave the motor a tap or two and it came on. Could I just have a motor going bad?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, the motor does sometimes go bad that way.

They're real cheeeeeep, and even if it's not "bad", a new one (w new blower wheel too) might make it work AHELLUVALOT better, so it's a good risk to just swap it out.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:20 PM

Car: 2011 Silverado LTZ, 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.3L (LTZ), 3.1L (RS)
Transmission: Auto

I had one purchased already and I went to change it out earlier today and the cage is cracked..... Glad I didn't pull the old one out yet LOL! I think I may pull it and see how it looks. I kinda want to clean all that out anyway.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 AM

edit

Last edited by SparksAj; 12-24-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:21 PM

Update: So the Grey plug actually wasn't bad on mine, a friend ended up soldering it together and we found the actual issue. On the part that the wires lead to (circle grey disk looking thing) it was almost entirely melted. We cleaned it out with electrical cleaner spray(or something like that) and he brushed it with a metal brush to clean it out, sprayed the cleaner around some more and let it sink it and presto. Working a.c again better than ever. Does anyone know what that whole little console part is because eventually I'm going to have to replace all of it(where the wiring harness leads to and the Grey silver disk looking piece)

So much melted plastic!!