Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Another Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Iroc-Z
Engine: Swapped 350 SBC
Transmission: Borg Warner T5
Another Battery Drain

Hey Guys,

So as the title suggests, my battery keeps draining. First off, this all started with hot start issues due to my shorty headers being right on top of the OEM starter. Figured out it was heat soaked real quick, so simple solution buy a mini starter and Voila! Fires my engine up no problem, its a Jegs mini starter and pulls about 90A. Well, i started getting the click click click click Vroom. Then soon just a click click over and over. Ok Battery was low, charged it, started up about 4-5 times with ease, then all over again click click.

Had the battery checked, said was good. Same problem still, replaced the battery with the warranty with more CCA in the Battery. Still same problem. Only get a couple starts out of her before.. Click Click.. I understand the starter is only getting partial voltage at the 'S' terminal so i get the click but not the start.

Alternator is a year old and is rated at 94A output, it reads 14.40V IIRC at the battery while running, which should be charging. I've tested for parasitic draw with the negative battery lead disconnected and completing circuit with Ammeter leads and see some amps at first then drops all the way back down to 0.00 - I have no radio as of yet, no system, nothing that in my mind would be pulling current with the car off nor am i getting any reading that anything is pulling current. I keep checking my Batt Voltage when i get the click and it keeps ending up around 11.8V, enough to get a click, but not start... can't drive her around knowing im going to get stuck unless i get a jump... She will jump start very first try with ease.

I recharge the battery at home, and literally get about 4-5 starts before that effing click comes back... Everytime... Full battery charge, 4-5 starts, then click and about 11.8V Im sick of charging and jumping my car! whats draining the battery?
Old 07-21-2015, 06:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: Another Battery Drain

Can't offer much help but my brothers 92rs has the same issue, starter clicks 3-4 times before starting, sounds like the battery is low when turning the motor over. The car has seen several starters in its time all with the same issue.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TylerSteez
Can't offer much help but my brothers 92rs has the same issue, starter clicks 3-4 times before starting, sounds like the battery is low when turning the motor over. The car has seen several starters in its time all with the same issue.
Tyler - Have you checked for parasitic drain on your battery? Sounds like it could be the ignition switch going or Neutral Safety Switch or whatever Automatics have, may not be letting full voltage to your starter, hence you being able to start the car after a few clicks..Mine however If my battery is at full charge, i do not get the click, it starts just fine, but when my charge gets low, CLICK, CLICK CLICKCLICKCLICK and will not start up until i recharge or jump start.

Im thinking my issue is the starter is pulling too much current or Amps, or my alternator is not charging fast enough or something... im at a loss with my issue, hope you find a solution to your brother's car.

P.S. - You should check voltage at the 'S' Terminal wire on your starter while cranking and see what voltage you get. If you get under less than the required voltage, something is not letting it through, resistance, bad ignition switch, neutral safety switch, something of that sort.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:08 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 383 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 9 bolt Posi

FYI - on my 89 recently I had an issue where the car would start up fine and run for a while. Later, when I went to start it, the car wouldn't turn over. I checked the battery and it was low. So I thought I had a bad battery or a drain somewhere.

After a new battery, it did the same thing. A few hours of troubleshooting later, it turns out the smaller red wire that goes from the battery positive to the alternator had broken. So the alternator wasn't charging the battery.

Not sure if this your issue but you might double-check the battery-to-alternator wiring.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Originally Posted by Marucci714
Tyler - Have you checked for parasitic drain on your battery? Sounds like it could be the ignition switch going or Neutral Safety Switch or whatever Automatics have, may not be letting full voltage to your starter, hence you being able to start the car after a few clicks..Mine however If my battery is at full charge, i do not get the click, it starts just fine, but when my charge gets low, CLICK, CLICK CLICKCLICKCLICK and will not start up until i recharge or jump start.

Im thinking my issue is the starter is pulling too much current or Amps, or my alternator is not charging fast enough or something... im at a loss with my issue, hope you find a solution to your brother's car.

P.S. - You should check voltage at the 'S' Terminal wire on your starter while cranking and see what voltage you get. If you get under less than the required voltage, something is not letting it through, resistance, bad ignition switch, neutral safety switch, something of that sort.
Wow thanks for the information, I've bern helping him get other problems situated on it since he's not that into turning wrenches so we haven't gotten to that just yet. he doesn't mind clicking the starter a couple times but it's something that would bother me.

The main problem with his ignition is the vats system we are gonna bypass later this week, I wonder if that could be interfering with it; He will go to start the car and the starter won't click, he has to wait exactly 5 minutes with key out of the ignition before it'll start up. Gonna be spending a lot of time reading threads on here about bypassing vats and then I'm gonna give it a go and see if it will remove the clicking starter and kill two birds with one stone. Thanks again for all that information, good luck with your problem.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:49 PM

Formula - thanks for that, I checked my wire and is good, I checked voltage at battery while running and is at 14.4V . Another thought of mine was battery leaking voltage back to alternator...

Tyler - Vats could definitely be your problem. I don't have vats so I can't steer you correctly there. But, I have read many threads on here with great info about that exact problem and how to bypass them. Good luck!

Now what the Eff is draining my batt... or not charging..